Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2023, 09:06 PM

14,333 posts, read 9,214,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I get it.

To me, though, weed probably make people less likely to commit violent crime. I bet this town would be exponentially better if they legalized weed and made everyone smoke.

lol. I am also well aware that I'm likely in the minority on this one....
Gotcher back, Reddog.

Though I wonder, what with the younger folk I see smoking blunts on the BSL.

Old 04-07-2023, 02:16 PM

8,993 posts, read 21,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Philly has a long history of issues with flash mobs, pandemic or not.

These recent incidents are just a sign of spring in Philly for well over a decade. What was the excuse in say 2009?
Well you did say in post #605 that "[i]t's more than a return of the traditional Philly flash mobs PTSD, it's from the general climate today after several years of the social experiment inappropriately called 'criminal reform' and the negative collateral effects it's causing."

Assuming you're referring to the Krasner era, that's a more recent timeline that mostly includes the pandemic. Thus my initial response.

If we are looking towards the longer term issue of flash mobs, however, perhaps we might agree that is an obvious sign of failure by the city to develop funding and programs for productive and safe outlets for kids.

Old 04-09-2023, 06:52 AM

4,758 posts, read 4,464,177 times
I may be the pessimist but I really don't see anything positive about the flash mobs.

Old 04-09-2023, 06:42 PM

10,640 posts, read 12,203,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post

If we are looking towards the longer term issue of flash mobs, however, perhaps we might agree that is an obvious sign of failure by the city to develop funding and programs for productive and safe outlets for kids.
And parents to parent.

Flash mob criminality is not innocent mischievous activity.

A person can have nothing to do all day long, and if they have morals and were raised right, will not commit crime.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:00 AM

1,036 posts, read 454,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Well you did say in post #605 that "[i]t's more than a return of the traditional Philly flash mobs PTSD, it's from the general climate today after several years of the social experiment inappropriately called 'criminal reform' and the negative collateral effects it's causing."

Assuming you're referring to the Krasner era, that's a more recent timeline that mostly includes the pandemic. Thus my initial response.

''I think a lot of Philadelphians are reflexive about roving gangs of youths, since it's giving folks PTSD about the return of "flash mobs."

The reality is this has been a recurring problem for a number of years that rears its ugly head every so often."

Well, my response was to the above, in-part, quoted response which states that the currently Philly folks are ''reflexive'' about roving gangs of youths being PTSD about ''flash mobs''. We would need a ''post'' period of no flash mobs or roving gangs of youths before PTSD could a factor in.

No one is having PTSD about last week's Market Street mayhem; if anything, the anxiety being referred to is dues to general sense of lawlessness in the city rooted in the Criminal Reform Movement instituted by Krasner.

Flash mobs are an obvious sign of the city's failure to develop funding and programs for productive and safe outlets for kids? there 170 recreation center, 26 PAL centers, numerous sports leagues etc. Answer: it's the city's fault for not keeping kids entertained and engaged in constructive behavior. There's plenty of those already. PPD has advocated curfews in certain areas, including Center City...that ain't gonna happen.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:30 AM

476 posts, read 278,096 times
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...town%20crime.:

"Center City is ‘remarkably safe’: New report shows that crime downtown and in other major cities isn’t on the rise
The Brookings Institution finds that Center City is almost as safe as ever, even as crime has risen in Philadelphia as a whole."

Old 04-11-2023, 09:20 AM

9,419 posts, read 9,414,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post

"Center City is ‘remarkably safe’: New report shows that crime downtown and in other major cities isn’t on the rise
The Brookings Institution finds that Center City is almost as safe as ever, even as crime has risen in Philadelphia as a whole."
^ Interesting article. While it's not all roses, the sensationalized media and anti-city trolling does paint a much darker picture than reality...

And good to see the Inquirer report on a positive trend for a change.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:06 AM

7,303 posts, read 10,652,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesJay64 View Post

Uh oh. Don't let Fox 29 catch wind of that reality. They might have to report something without sensationalized fear for once!

Old 04-11-2023, 10:18 AM

754 posts, read 466,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
^ Interesting article. While it's not all roses, the sensationalized media and anti-city trolling does paint a much darker picture than reality...

And good to see the Inquirer report on a positive trend for a change.
Just to be fair, this is presented as the downtown's share of crime (very small part of the city) compared to the total city (total area). So yes, in Philadelphia's case, Center City is much safer than the average neighborhood.

Quote:
“We found that across the four cities, downtowns accounted for an almost negligible share of total citywide property and violent crime,” said Hanna Love, senior research associate with the Brookings Institution and one of the study’s authors. “Center City is remarkably safe compared to the rest of the city as a whole.”
I'd hope that any 4 sq mile area of the City has a negligible share of the the 150 total sq miles!

Old 05-26-2023, 08:21 AM

1,705 posts, read 985,234 times
Is it me or does it seem like the cops have been on a roll lately. They've been catching a good bit of human garbage lately.

Plenty to ****** about with the violence around here lately but lets give these people some props when they get a few wins once and a while.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia