Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2023, 07:00 PM

1,036 posts, read 454,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
When I was still living on Germantown's east side (I moved to its nicer west side in mid-June), I ran into several men (never women) in the neighborhood who expressed admiration for Trump and indicated they were planning to vote for him in the 2020 election.

And you may recall that his share of the Black male vote did rise from 2016.

I'm pretty sure that those employment stats had a lot to do with this, but I also think that Trump's machismo (or at least his projection of a macho image) also played well with a lot of Black men, especially from lower-class backgrounds.
Why didn't black males, especially from lower-class backgrounds vote for Trump then in 2016? Trump just as ''machismo'' then as he was in 2020. Those employments stats you mention had everything to do with black males voting for Trump in higher numbers in 2020.

Old 03-23-2023, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Here's how: Look at the time series chart tracking poverty among various racial and ethnic groups since 1959 in this Census Bureau article noting that the poverty rate among Blacks and Hispanics reached record lows in 2019.

I was born the year before the Census Bureau started collecting data on the subjects. (I believe the gray dotted lines represent estimates for both Blacks and Hispanics.)

In 1965, when I was six, one of my mother's sisters lived in a trailer on a small plot of farmland in northeast Kansas where she and her then-husband raised some pigs. By the time I left Kansas City for college and for good in 1976, she had moved to a decent airplane bungalow in a southeast KC neighborhood and gotten a job in healthcare (as her two sisters had also done).

My Aunt Sarah's story is more the rule than the exception for Blacks who lived through the Civil Rights revolution, and those of us who came of age during it have by and large been doing even better than our parents have been. The Black middle class today is bigger than it's ever been, and Black affluence has spread beyond pockets like the Sheridan Estates subdivision in the city where I grew up to where it dominates places like Atlanta and Prince George's County, MD, the most affluent majority-Black jurisdiction in the country (population [2021 est] 955k+, 64.1% Black; MHI [most recent 5-year estimate] $91,124). There's a long-running thread on City vs. City (1,586 posts as of this writing, many of them stats posted by a New York State resident) discussing what cities would be best for a Black middle-class family in the Northeast (Philadephia runs way ahead of the competition in the poll accompanying the thread) and documenting pockets of Black affluence all over the Northeast and mid-Atlantic.

The problem — and where not only you but many Blacks get confused — is that we as a group remain disproportionately poor; we are overrepresented among the poor relative to our share of the national population. (There's another chart in that article displaying those stats.) You all see many more poor Blacks because they, like those who rose above their prior station, migrated from the Deep South to the industrial cities of the Northeast and Midwest in search of better opportunity (most found it) while the numerically larger contingent of poor whites are concentrated out of your eyesight amidst the mountains of Appalachia.

And all of you who blast LBJ for the Great Society forget that he also managed to enact the landmark Civil Rights Act of 1964, Voting Rights Act of 1965 and Fair Housing Act of 1968 (the last of these hasn't quite lived up to its promise). Without those laws, there's a good chance that downward curve wouldn't have been as steep as it was — and those cash transfer payments also contributed to the decline. I might not even be talking with you all here and doing what I do now had the Civil Rights revolution not happened.

Have I made things clearer? Blacks and whites alike overlook the progress that has been made because of the problems that remain, and among Blacks, the problem is compounded by the equation of street culture with Black authenticity. I know you all have heard me inveigh against that here.
LBJ did sign the Civil Rights, Voting, and Fair Housing Acts. LBJ separately created the Great Society.

Legislation to protect and social programs to provide $$ assistance for the black community. These social programs are reparations. Reparations were established 58 years ago and continue to provide reparations for the past. Today's new Reparations movement is just another free $$ grab.

No one here has criticized LBJ for his civil rights legislation, only his reparations programs. The latter of which is pointed to for the crime problem being done by what Hillary Clinton-Biden '90s Crime Bill called: ''super predators''.

Yes, most people forget that the Civil Rights Act also prohibited the very real discrimination against Catholics and Jews.

Last edited by MPK21; 03-23-2023 at 07:59 PM..

Old 03-23-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
"That's when eight young people began to punch and kick her to the point of losing consciousness. Police say they have identified seven of the eight suspects wanted in connection to the incident. Three of the suspects turned themselves into authorities Thursday night.

Charges have also been approved by the District Attorney's office. Authorities say they're working to bring the other suspects into custody."

I'm no Krasner apologist, but it is important to look at the facts surrounding the incident. While these teens need serious consequences for this behavior, I am most interested in how the guardians are investigated and dealt with. These kids are said to be no older than fifteen. That is incredibly young to be partaking in such violence. (I think) Needless to say, at that age, your upbringing and socialization has a profound effect upon your behavior. The guardians of these kids (and other violent minors) need to be investigated and held accountable.

By the way, the theory of systemic racism is not incongruent with the theory of holding people accountable for their behavior.

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia...delphia-crime/
Yet it's used over and over again from progressive politicians, DAs etc as the basis for Criminal Reform which is a roundabout way of not holding people accountable for many crimes, including violent ones.

Guardians? You mean parents or most likely single moms? Investigated and held accountable? When did that start?

That would skew the Criminal Reform Movement's goal to equalize outcomes in the crime category. Too many folks in a certain race and sex demographic would investigated and held accountable and then it will go to systemic racism and deliberate targeting and, after a $$ settlement, the policy would end.

Imagine holding parent/parents/guardians accountable....which is, at least financially, pretty much the with a few exceptions depending on age.

Nice idea, ain't gonna happen though.

Last edited by MPK21; 03-23-2023 at 07:44 PM..

Old 03-23-2023, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Well apparently we’re hitting a point where it’s destroying the fabric of society. But by all means, let’s keep on keeping on. According to you, this has always happened and will continue to happen. God forbid we try to address the issue.

And, I’ll add, that a big reason that “people have always had children they can’t afford, and will continue to have children they can’t afford” is because we reward people with thousands of dollars TO HAVE MORE CHILDREN THAN THEY CAN AFFORD OR RAISE (not like they have any intention to even try to raise these kids - the kids are just a payday in the mail). And these are the same children that we’re talking about in this crime thread. Just a few months ago a group of young early teens and some pre-teens attacked a senior citizen in west Philly and killed him at, wait for it, 2am! If I don’t know where my 12 year old child is at 2am in the morning, I think it’s safe to say I shouldn’t have a child, let alone six plus. If I recall correctly, most of the pre-teen murderers had multiple siblings each.
That horror story sounds like a cultural issue as well but the cultural aspects of the crime issue generally and the violent crime issue in particular are never discussed because they are not allowed to be discussed.

Old 03-24-2023, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
That's the issue. The people who have the most money and influence should be insisting that the police they already pay for, do their damned jobs. Instead of shrugging and paying for private police.

You can expect the city cops to ignore those neighborhoods completely. After all, they have their own cops, right?
They should stop voting for and electing dangerous politicians with dangerous policies disguised under the innocuous sounding name ''progressive.''

Old 03-25-2023, 07:04 AM

389 posts, read 270,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
https://6abc.com/overbrook-philadelp...g-news/556111/

'Stuhlman pleaded for his life, saying, "Please don't shoot me. Please don't shoot me." But he was still shot once in the chest"

what the hell is wrong with people, theres no rehabilitaion that can cure this,,but lets pay mothers $1000 per month to have more kids..........madness
This was a horrible incident but this happened in 2015.

Old 03-25-2023, 07:38 AM

843 posts, read 701,917 times
Popped up in my feed this morning but I deleted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
This was a horrible incident but this happened in 2015.

Old 03-25-2023, 08:55 AM

273 posts, read 105,808 times
Lots of debate regarding the "causes" of how the current situation came to be. Instead of trying to sort out all the arguments, I would like to make a couple of points of "where we are".

1. The trillions of dollars spent over the 60 years on social programs has NOT eliminated low income areas. The US gov't now has enormous debt (which will probably never be repaid). Much of the post-WWII American wealth is gone. Yet, some expect continued increases in social spending. This won't happen because it would destroy the financial system.

2. After years of artificial low inflation, inflation has come roaring back. The result will be (depending upon how bad inflation gets and how long it persists) a significant erosion in the purchasing power of everyone's dollars. Let's say that purchasing power is reduced 25-50%. How does the half of America living paycheck to paycheck cope?

Old 03-25-2023, 10:23 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,149,161 times
Wayfarerz///

Methinks the American Financial system doesn't need the social spending in order to implode.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:53 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,467,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Yet it's used over and over again from progressive politicians, DAs etc as the basis for Criminal Reform which is a roundabout way of not holding people accountable for many crimes, including violent ones.

Guardians? You mean parents or most likely single moms? Investigated and held accountable? When did that start?

That would skew the Criminal Reform Movement's goal to equalize outcomes in the crime category. Too many folks in a certain race and sex demographic would investigated and held accountable and then it will go to systemic racism and deliberate targeting and, after a $$ settlement, the policy would end.

Imagine holding parent/parents/guardians accountable....which is, at least financially, pretty much the with a few exceptions depending on age.

Nice idea, ain't gonna happen though.
It depends on the reform. The fact is, the USA has an outsized prison population relative to other countries. Many criminal justice reform movements seek to change that. A big push in these movements is the decriminalization of non-violent, self-harm incidents such as drug use. We should indeed be seeking answers about why we have such a disproportionate share of the global prison population.

Are you unfamiliar with the term "guardian" in relation to minors?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia