Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2023, 10:58 AM

14,340 posts, read 9,222,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
That's laughable.

Criminals are bad.
Indeed they are, and you've said nothing to indicate that you distinguish among them.

But look at the level of outrage expressed over various crimes or the types of responses they draw and you can't help but notice what mphilly noticed about a lot of them.

The way John McNesby talks about people who haven't committed any crimes but just have the temerity to suggest that the cops need an attitude adjustment, he sounds just like what mphilly says too many people sound like.

Old 02-21-2023, 12:26 PM

1,036 posts, read 454,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Okay. And I never stated anything to the contrary.

The fact of the matter is our society doesn't experience crime evenly. The most impacted by far are impoverished neighborhoods of color.

Yet who does the most pearl-clutching and vitriolic social media posting against Philadelphia's crime problem? I guarantee you it's not black grandmas in Fairhill.

Point being: crime IS a problem and real concern for real people, but it's amplified and weaponized, often in politically motivated fashion, by some of the people LEAST affected by it and who have literally no constructive solutions to solve it.
Where are the grandmas in Fairhill, Strawberry Mansion etc let alone the black community generally and black leadership in particular on crime? Talk about politically motivated.

Last week some dude was on the news walking in the street by himself with a ''stop the violence'' sign, described as an ''anti-violence'' advocate...that's where those $ millions are going. And Movita Johnson-Harell surfaced yet again with another non-profit stop the violence organization. So, lots of folks from these ''impoverished neighborhoods of color'' are making big bank and politically manipulating the crime issue as well.

Point being: crime IS a problem and real concern for real people, but it's amplified and weaponized, often in politically and $$ fashion by some of the people MOST affected by it who have no constructive solutions to solve it.

The cultural aspect of, especially violent crime, is a whole other issue yet is never mentioned.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:23 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,553,996 times
I saw Kevin Neary passed away. Truly one of the first stories that absolutely ripped my heart in half when I moved into the city. Kevin was followed for several blocks in Northern Liberties after going to a game at the Palestra in Nov 2011. When he was close to his door, the man pulled out a gun and shot him right in the spinal cord. He luckily survived, but never recovered being paralyzed from the neck down. RIP Kevin and may your spirit and life never be forgotten.

https://kevinneary.com/2023/02/20/ke...ary-1982-2023/

Old 02-22-2023, 10:28 AM

Larry Krasner's office has repeatedly failed in court over the last several years.

The failed prosecution of the murder of Penn State student Nicholas Flacco is one of the worst. Tyquan Atkinson, who was found not guilty, was arrested again yesterday carrying an illegal handgun. I pray the federal government and the ATF step in and put the piece of trash behind bars for a very long time.

Old 02-22-2023, 10:48 AM

Also surprised there was no discussion around Officer Fitzgerald's death. A hero in every sense of the word. I remember the afternoon Officer Robert Wilson died like it was yesterday. Hard to believe it's going to be 8 years in a few weeks. The loss of Christopher Fitzgerald hurts.

I'm sorry, but if all the info is true, and that little POS executed him like said, I resent Gov Shapiro's recent statements on state execution. He is a fitting candidate

Old 02-22-2023, 11:12 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,493,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Larry Krasner's office has repeatedly failed in court over the last several years.

The failed prosecution of the murder of Penn State student Nicholas Flacco is one of the worst. Tyquan Atkinson, who was found not guilty, was arrested again yesterday carrying an illegal handgun. I pray the federal government and the ATF step in and put the piece of trash behind bars for a very long time.
Krasner has dutifully carried out the wishes of his puppet-master, George Soros. For what purpose, I have no idea.

Old 02-22-2023, 11:18 AM

Krasner getting emotional this a.m. over Fitzgerald's murder. Please.

Interesting that Temple and its students were all about defunding the police and disbanding its own force in 2020.

Now that its students, campus, and police force are basically under attack by violence criminals, they're all signing a different tune at Temple in 2023.

Old 02-22-2023, 01:22 PM

2,502 posts, read 4,459,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Where are the grandmas in Fairhill, Strawberry Mansion etc let alone the black community generally.

Last week some dude was on the news walking in the street by himself with a ''stop the violence'' sign, described as an ''anti-violence'' advocate...that's where those $ millions are going. And Movita Johnson-Harell surfaced yet again with another non-profit stop the violence organization. So, lots of folks from these ''impoverished neighborhoods of color'' are making big bank and politically manipulating the crime issue as well.
So let's get this straight. If people are scared (the black grandma's you mentioned) then they are complicit?
If they try something, no matter how small (the guy walking in the street) then they are grifters and hucksters making big bank?

According to you, black people are screwed no matter what they do.

Tell you what, where are the Nobel prize winning economists from Wharton and U Chicago with solutions? Where is Freakonomics for crime? Since this is such a straightforward problem to solve...

Old 02-22-2023, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
So let's get this straight. If people are scared (the black grandma's you mentioned) then they are complicit?
If they try something, no matter how small (the guy walking in the street) then they are grifters and hucksters making big bank?

According to you, black people are screwed no matter what they do.

Tell you what, where are the Nobel prize winning economists from Wharton and U Chicago with solutions? Where is Freakonomics for crime? Since this is such a straightforward problem to solve...
Sounds like you read what you need to read if that's your take from my post or, you didn't bother to read the post I responded if this is your take. let's get this straight or follow the posts...

Your conclusions otherwise are misplaced.

Who said black people are screwed no matter what they do other than you?

You cite one example: a dude paid to walk around with a ''stop the violence'' sign and, yes, that's waste of $$ yet you didn't mention Movita Johnson-Harrell community ''leadership'' for some reason. This is how black people are screwed no matter what they do? lol

Sounds like you didn't like issues within the black community being mentioned; I did mention cultural issues that are ignored....consistent with your response.

Solutions? For starters, there's a labor shortage...get a job; who needs Nobel prize winning economists from Wharton or Chicago for that solution?

Old 02-23-2023, 07:17 AM

843 posts, read 703,049 times
Perhaps these "Pearl Clutching" folks (many of which used to live in the city) miss the vibrant town that it was, a good buddy of mine who moved 6 years ago just messaged me after a business trip that he rode the MFL and hung out in CC and said he couldnt believe how the city changed in such a short period (he worked in CC).

Until the grandmas in Fairhill have more outrage at the black on black crime vs everyone rioting at each police misstep this city (and most other major ones) will stay on the same downward trajectory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Okay. And I never stated anything to the contrary.

The fact of the matter is our society doesn't experience crime evenly. The most impacted by far are impoverished neighborhoods of color.

Yet who does the most pearl-clutching and vitriolic social media posting against Philadelphia's crime problem? I guarantee you it's not black grandmas in Fairhill.

Point being: crime IS a problem and real concern for real people, but it's amplified and weaponized, often in politically motivated fashion, by some of the people LEAST affected by it and who have literally no constructive solutions to solve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia