Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2022, 01:49 PM

1,036 posts, read 454,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
You misread Krasner here.

He's not looking to implement an "equality of results" policy for crime and punishment. What he does makes more sense if you view it through a "he's never met a cop he liked" lens.

Frankly, it may be that he and FOP Lodge 5 are the enemies each other needs. They can go after him rather than clean up their own house, and he can tag them as the source of the problem rather than come up with ways to effectively prosecute crime short of just locking everyone up.
No misread on Krasner here.

He has implemented an equality of results by way of discretionary prosecution disguised as criminal reform with the end result of ''equality of outcome'' (straight out of the Marxist dictionary).

Krasner hates cops but is not dictating PPD policy; he's just not prosecuting crimes to lower the ''crime rate'' and show that blacks and I guess it's only whites for the comparison have equal crime rates, while not changing behaviour or being proactive in, for example, illegal gun possession.

Our DA's policy, yet again, is to not prosecute illegal gun possession (prior to violence) and concentrate on actual gun violence (after the violence has occurred); and he says this with a straight face.

The city generally is dictating a policy of decrease encounters with the black community; again, the Driver Equality nonsense is all about creating equality of outcome...by not enforcing the law...smh that we've come to this in 2022.

2020-2022 (at current pace): 1,578 homicides/avg 526 homicides.

,...and Danielle Outlaw is still collecting a check and benefits from the city; by now she's gotta be closing in on at least 350K+ for her total deal here.

Last edited by MPK21; 12-22-2022 at 03:12 PM..

Old 12-23-2022, 03:50 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,468,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Uh, students mentioned you brought them up...lol

"I mean as a teacher, I see it every day. It's not just people of color. Check out rural areas with poverty and destitution. There are many behavior problems in classrooms there."

Definitely agree that the home and the classroom are the most important factors.
Uh, the students that were relevant to a discussion of crime in Philadelphia. You were not responding to that on-topic exchange between lpranger and me. Random conspiracy theories about what students are learning in classrooms is not on-topic for discussion of crime in Philadelphia.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:39 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,610,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Here's a space where posters can discuss reasons for PHILADELPHIA crime, so as to not to derail our other crime thread. Here's a reminder about the TOS so you won't be surprised if I delete/infract posts.

Again, Philadelphia crime issues, not national.

//www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Creation of active links is enabled for users that have been here for more than three days and have a couple posts already. So is our blog feature. Links to competitors' sites are treated differently than other links and are likely to be deleted.

Be civil, no personal attacks, flaming, or insults. We may attack ideas (politely) but we do not attack the speaker of the idea. Be careful with your words, there is a point where being direct crosses a line into blunt, in-your-face hostility. Please, report bad posts instead of engaging in flame wars on the boards. Insulting another member or a moderator will not be tolerated anywhere on this website. This includes Direct Messages and Reputation Comments.

If you disagree with something, say so, but explain WHY.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Hate speech, racism or bashing of ANY sort will NOT be tolerated. Rude posts will be removed and infractions issued. Do not quote or talk to trolls or your posts will also be deleted. Use the report feature instead.

"Trolling" is prohibited.

"Outing" users by revealing their address, phone number, or other information that they didn't themselves share on our forum is prohibited.......All posts unrelated to local matters will be deleted or moved. Threads dealing with controversial topics that often degenerate into flame wars, such as politics or religion, may be moved, closed, or deleted by moderators at their discretion without any warning to the participants.

If you want to discuss national politics, you can go here: http:////www.city-data.com/forum/pol...controversies/
Please use this area to discuss crime and not tear each other apart. You can disagree, but when it gets personal, it's annoying for all, especially your volunteer mod.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-24-2022, 01:57 PM

1,036 posts, read 454,550 times
It's important to have mature teachers, for example, not bringing their political views or immaturity into the classroom. The results are not helping reduce criminal behaviour.

No one ever mentions the remaining strains black redneck culture, only the white redneck, yet both come from a common culture imported into the South from folks originally from certain parts of the British Isles. This includes, for example, the misplaced social theory in the U.S. that Ebonics is a legacy of slavery (well, all negative black behaviour that is); it's not, it's a legacy of the spoken English of the culture infused in southern blacks.

do people actually think southern rednecks, collectively called hillbillies, were welcomed in the north? The strains of this culture remain, especially in poor inner cities and certain rural areas.

Negative black behaviour, especially crime, is blamed on slavery and racism, which is used for, among other things, political leverage, anti-capitalism, and of course, as an excuse to shift personal responsibility. Sounds like our DA, he's blaming systemic racism as an excuse for criminal behaviour.

Time to move on from the race card game.

Old 12-25-2022, 10:07 AM

2,103 posts, read 1,150,625 times
Quote:
It's important to have mature teachers, for example, not bringing their political views or immaturity into the classroom. The results are not helping reduce criminal behaviour.

No one ever mentions the remaining strains black redneck culture, only the white redneck, yet both come from a common culture imported into the South from folks originally from certain parts of the British Isles. This includes, for example, the misplaced social theory in the U.S. that Ebonics is a legacy of slavery (well, all negative black behaviour that is); it's not, it's a legacy of the spoken English of the culture infused in southern blacks.

do people actually think southern rednecks, collectively called hillbillies, were welcomed in the north? The strains of this culture remain, especially in poor inner cities and certain rural areas.

Negative black behaviour, especially crime, is blamed on slavery and racism, which is used for, among other things, political leverage, anti-capitalism, and of course, as an excuse to shift personal responsibility. Sounds like our DA, he's blaming systemic racism as an excuse for criminal behaviour.

You are right. If "Black Lives Matter" is meant to mean "protecting the African American community at large from police wrongdoings, then, it isn't helping the violent crime situation which occurs in disproportionately high numbers in the black, slash latino communities.

There has to be a reckoning from within the communities about the lack of accountability in criminal behavior and dispense with the whitewashing. There are plenty of people outside the afro and latino communities who aren,t rednecks, and who turn the other away because the situation is baffling, I mean, the self destruction is appalling, and it is more damning than the Police vs communities agenda.

Old 12-25-2022, 12:21 PM

8,993 posts, read 21,217,900 times
Quote:
Agreed, although that can cut multiple ways depending on the educator's particular slant. Granted, that is likely to be in one particular direction within the city proper.

Quote:
Ebonics - more commonly called African American Vernacular English (AAVE) these days - is often used by Blacks to varying degrees regardless of economic status. There's a school of thought that the style of talking has roots in African dialects. Hence, the "imperfect" sounding sentences are essentially mimicking the equivalent of what would be said in the local tongue of some/many African countries.

Quote:
I can agree that there's an economic element to prejudice that transcends race. It's unfortunate that poor-to-working-class folks of all stripes haven't been willing or able to band together to fight for better respect and opportunities.

Quote:
Negative black behaviour, especially crime, is blamed on slavery and racism, which is used for, among other things, political leverage, anti-capitalism, and of course, as an excuse to shift personal responsibility.
Well, that view has considerable merit. We're not sixty years removed from the Voting and Civil Rights Act becoming law. Keeping this somewhat local, Doug Mastriano essentially advocated for undermining both signature pieces of legislation, a move which would have had a disproportionately negative impact on Philadelphia.

Sadly, too many of our city politicians who are both Black and Democratic have made decisions that are ethically questionable if not outright illegal. However, one does not have to research for long to find other examples of ethically challenged politicians who possess only one or none of those identifiers.

Quote:
Sounds like our DA, he's blaming systemic racism as an excuse for criminal behaviour.
Krasner has a point; his solutions, unfortunately, leave a lot to be desired.

Quote:
Agreed, although I look at that from another perspective which is beyond the scope of this local forum.

Old 12-25-2022, 11:02 PM

14,333 posts, read 9,210,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FindingZen View Post
Ebonics - more commonly called African American Vernacular English (AAVE) these days - is often used by Blacks to varying degrees regardless of economic status. There's a school of thought that the style of talking has roots in African dialects. Hence, the "imperfect" sounding sentences are essentially mimicking the equivalent of what would be said in the local tongue of some/many African countries.
But even AAVE has regional variations. The descendants of the freed slaves who migrated from the Deep and Middle South to the cities of the Northeast don't sound like the Midwestern Blacks who were either descended from slaves in Missouri or migrated up from Louisiana and Texas.

I think a lot of people, Black as well as white, don't get this, especially in the Northeast.

Quote:
True dat.

Old 12-26-2022, 04:00 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,468,570 times
Quote:
Agreed, although that can cut multiple ways depending on the educator's particular slant. Granted, that is likely to be in one particular direction within the city proper.
While I think this is the least of our concerns re: the current crime spike, many of my high school teachers tried to groom me to be a right-wing wacko. Unfortunately for them, I was (and still am) quite stubborn.

Quote:
I can agree that there's an economic element to prejudice that transcends race. It's unfortunate that poor-to-working-class folks of all stripes haven't been willing or able to band together to fight for better respect and opportunities.
Absolutely. I blame the big media companies for insisting on the culture wars. Working class people of all stripes have way more to fight together for than they do to fight amongst each other about.

Quote:
I completely agree with this. He has an incredibly important point when it comes to mass incarceration and the imprisonment of people for nonviolent crimes. Yet his tactics have proven miserable.

Quote:
But even AAVE has regional variations. The descendants of the freed slaves who migrated from the Deep and Middle South to the cities of the Northeast don't sound like the Midwestern Blacks who were either descended from slaves in Missouri or migrated up from Louisiana and Texas.

I think a lot of people, Black as well as white, don't get this, especially in the Northeast.

True dat.
In fact, my school had an entire professional development session about this to ensure teachers are well-informed. Being uninformed about this can have serious consequences on students, especially when assessing their literacy skills.

Last edited by Muinteoir; 12-26-2022 at 04:09 AM..

Old 12-26-2022, 08:24 AM

8,993 posts, read 21,217,900 times
Quote:
I can't deny that.

Old 12-26-2022, 09:34 AM

14,333 posts, read 9,210,919 times
Quote:
I can't deny that.
Being the descendant of:
  • freed slaves who had been in Missouri since statehood and Scots-Irish ditto
  • a grandmother on my father's side who landed in Kansas City and great-grandparents on my mother's side who somehow landed in Omaha, then Horton, Kan., after making their way up from East Texas (Dad's mom)/the Houston area and southwest Louisiana (where most of Mom's family still lives)

I can attest to this personally. For instance, to use a commonly-derided pronunciation tic, none of my cousins ever "axed" for anything. (My own accent and speech lack any trace of AAVE, whether its origins are in the Southeast, Texas/Louisiana or Central Plains, and I have to code-switch to adopt it thanks to my education.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia