Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2022, 09:33 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,468,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
To play devils advocate to the bold, shouldn't the DA also send a message that violent crime, shoplifting, and general unruliness from young people will not be tolerated? I have yet to see him set an example for any of that...
I don't think you need to play devils advocate to say that. He absolutely should. My post was responding to what lpranger was saying about the police, but yes, I've been critical of Krasner.

Old 12-06-2022, 07:08 AM

7,743 posts, read 5,552,263 times
Quote:
To play devils advocate to the bold, shouldn't the DA also send a message that violent crime, shoplifting, and general unruliness from young people will not be tolerated? I have yet to see him set an example for any of that...

Nutter ripped the current administration with a pretty similar sentiment:

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...tys-death.html

Old 12-06-2022, 02:21 PM

1,036 posts, read 454,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
It's interesting, because if you look into it, the political ideology of district attorney's does not seem to be an indicator of homicide rates in cities. Tulsa, OK, one of the country's most conservative cities, has a Republican DA. Their homicide rate was 14.3 per 100K residents in 2021, which is right around where Philadelphia is.

And I say that as someone who voted against Krasner and Kenney, anda someone who really wants change in leadership for our mayor's and DA's office. But to simplify it to the the progressive DA movement is disingenuous, and obviously politically motivated.

Some factors that contribute to crime: Poverty/destitution, local culture (yes, the youth gun/macho culture does need to be addressed), family support systems or lack thereof, the accessibility or lack thereof for resources to address any of these factors which negatively contribute to crime, and yes, policing/prosecution absolutely have a role. To limit our scope when attempting to reduce crime rates would be a foolish endeavor. We're never going to reach the rates of other developed countries if we take a single-pronged approach. Just look at all of the countries where crime rates and prison rates are much lower. Obviously, in these countries with more robust social safety nets, just policing and imprisoning is not the answer.
Philly's homicide rate is nowhere near 14.3/100k residents in this comparison to Tulsa OK. Maybe Philly had that rate about 10 years ago.

2020 Philly was up to about 31.8/100K and 2021 took it to about 35+/100K.

Look at the stats since Krasner took office and using a ''conservative'' city like Tulsa OK as a comparison to Philly defeats this argument tactic.

After all, as Larry said yesterday regarding the impeachment proceedings, it's all an attack on Progressive DAs as part of the overall attack on democracy by the right-wing, especially those nazis that are everywhere today. After all, the narrative is that white supremacy violence is the greatest threat to the black community in the U.S.

Philly can only dream of having a 14.3/100K homicide rate; if it did, there wouldn't be the need for a ''fake'' right wing crime and progressive DA conspiracies....Philly 14.3/100K homicide rate...lol...smh

Last edited by MPK21; 12-06-2022 at 02:56 PM..

Old 12-06-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
According to Krasner, crime is down and his policies are working. Remember, Larry's being persecuted by the anti-Progressive DA movement from the right-wing Nazi movement trying to take over democracy in the U.S....''an authoritarian attack on democracy'' by the GOP...you can't make this stuff up LOL...but there are enough ''woke'' idiots in Philly that buy this line...at the cost of 100s of black lives.

Notice these progressive mayors and DAs are all about ''national issues'' whether it's Columbus statues, abortion, or insurrectionists...lol.

After all the perpetrators of the vast majority of violent crime in Philly and the U.S. are victims of the systemic racism= the foundation of the U.S. from day 1 (1619 is the new start of American history).

Don't hold your breath waiting for Larry to speak out about crime in the black community; he's all about creating ''equal outcomes'' by not enforcing the law as he chooses...which is why he should be impeached and removed from office.

Then again, Philly re-elected Krasner Nov. '21, 60%-40%. Imagine a Krasner-Gym duo...lol.

Interesting no one mentions our Police Commissioner here...it's all Kenney-Krasner.

In the end though, none of this matters as the cause of the fake violent crime wave is due to ''the pandemic''...lol.

Last edited by MPK21; 12-06-2022 at 03:44 PM..

Old 12-06-2022, 02:51 PM

13 posts, read 9,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I do, however, need to add one more qualifier to my post above:

I now have anecdotal evidence that backs up the critics.

One of my protégés lives in Trenton and works in PR for a New Jersey state government department. He was waiting for a bus to go to the gym where he works out in Hamilton Township when cop cars started whizzing past in both directions.

Two of them stopped right where he was standing, and the officers got out of the cars and had him put his hands up against the wall. One of them said he matched the profile of a young armed man they were pursuing.

This guy has lived a squeaky-clean life. He has overcome some pretty stiff odds (his mother walked out of the hospital after giving birth to him, and his grandmother raised him) to reach a place where he makes a decent income, certainly more than I suspect most of the people living around the house he inherited from that grandmother make, and has a great future ahead of him.

Yet here he was, being humiliated for something he had no connection to at all.

Needless to say, he's lawyered up, and the Trenton Police Department can expect another lawsuit.

Stories like this are too common among younger Black men for the rest of us to dismiss them cavalierly.

(Full disclosure: I'm assisting him in the preparation of an Op-Ed he wants to submit based on the incident.)

It's called "good policing". The cops SHOULD stop and question people matching the description of known criminals. Young black men commit the vast majority of the crime and THAT'S why they get accosted by cops more often. They aren't stopping Asians because they have a low crime rate...Reality is a _itch.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Cops are Larry's #1 target; he did make $$millions on civil rights cases against cops prior to becoming the city's #1 law enforcement officer..lol.

Does anyone think Larry does this for all cases he disagrees with the sentencing on? lol Imagine a black male getting a ''lighter'' sentence and having Larry step in to have a harsher sentence imposed...lol.

Larry's only ''tough on crime'' when it comes to cops, especially white male cops.

From July 2022, the PA Supreme Court goes after Krasner in another white cop-black male case (PPD Pownall-David Jones case):

“At least three aspects of the DAO’s prosecution give me serious pause: (1) its failure to provide the investigating grand jury with all relevant legal definitions; (2) its successful attempt to deny Pownall a preliminary hearing; and (3) its relentless but unsuccessful attempt to change the peace officer justification law prior to Pownall’s trial.”...does Larry and his office do this in every, most, or just case when a (white) cop is involved?

Then again, Progressive DAs focus on social issues, not enforcing the law, except when a cop is involved.

How is Philly doing in addressing its police shortage?

Last edited by MPK21; 12-06-2022 at 04:16 PM..

Old 12-06-2022, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I do, however, need to add one more qualifier to my post above:

I now have anecdotal evidence that backs up the critics.

One of my protégés lives in Trenton and works in PR for a New Jersey state government department. He was waiting for a bus to go to the gym where he works out in Hamilton Township when cop cars started whizzing past in both directions.

Two of them stopped right where he was standing, and the officers got out of the cars and had him put his hands up against the wall. One of them said he matched the profile of a young armed man they were pursuing.

This guy has lived a squeaky-clean life. He has overcome some pretty stiff odds (his mother walked out of the hospital after giving birth to him, and his grandmother raised him) to reach a place where he makes a decent income, certainly more than I suspect most of the people living around the house he inherited from that grandmother make, and has a great future ahead of him.

Yet here he was, being humiliated for something he had no connection to at all.

Needless to say, he's lawyered up, and the Trenton Police Department can expect another lawsuit.

Stories like this are too common among younger Black men for the rest of us to dismiss them cavalierly.

(Full disclosure: I'm assisting him in the preparation of an Op-Ed he wants to submit based on the incident.)
Lawyered up? A lawsuit? for what? Cops in pursuit of an armed black male...hmm...and they frisked someone who matched the description they had...hmm...your friend was innocent....is he ticked off at his black male peers in his area/city that are the cause of his humiliation? or just the cops trying to keep him and his community safe from yet another armed black male pursuit.

Was he arrested? Otherwise, I don't get his ''damages''. Interesting that his first thought is filing lawsuits and not objecting to the reality created and perpetuated by the criminal element among his peers. This guy sounds real young (at least I hope he is) given that he's thinking about his ''humiliation'' over the danger an armed male in his community poses to his community (and himself)...and you may be a bit set in your beliefs to be ''guiding'' this OpEd statement (also known as writing it for him) by focusing on ''humiliation'' by 1 dude as cops pursue an armed suspect...how do they know your friend isn't the suspect without checking him out? Then when cops don't ''check out'' suspects and say, this arrmed suspect kills, injures, robs etc someone...it turns to ineffective policing, cops are racist and don't care, etc.

Also, is the detailed hard life background necessary? Good, stand-up young guy would suffice.

Maybe he can also get the officers involved fired!

Last edited by MPK21; 12-06-2022 at 05:09 PM..

Old 12-07-2022, 05:14 AM

14,333 posts, read 9,210,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Lawyered up? A lawsuit? for what? Cops in pursuit of an armed black male...hmm...and they frisked someone who matched the description they had...hmm...your friend was innocent....is he ticked off at his black male peers in his area/city that are the cause of his humiliation? or just the cops trying to keep him and his community safe from yet another armed black male pursuit.

Was he arrested? Otherwise, I don't get his ''damages''. Interesting that his first thought is filing lawsuits and not objecting to the reality created and perpetuated by the criminal element among his peers. This guy sounds real young (at least I hope he is) given that he's thinking about his ''humiliation'' over the danger an armed male in his community poses to his community (and himself)...and you may be a bit set in your beliefs to be ''guiding'' this OpEd statement (also known as writing it for him) by focusing on ''humiliation'' by 1 dude as cops pursue an armed suspect...how do they know your friend isn't the suspect without checking him out? Then when cops don't ''check out'' suspects and say, this arrmed suspect kills, injures, robs etc someone...it turns to ineffective policing, cops are racist and don't care, etc.

Also, is the detailed hard life background necessary? Good, stand-up young guy would suffice.

Maybe he can also get the officers involved fired!
As for damages: Slipped disc. Not trivial. I'm not even going to include emotional and psychological trauma.

And as for that "reality created by the criminal element": Not denying that there is one, but even the most cursory reading of our history shows that the tendency is strong among whites (either the Anglos and their progeny or those who "became white" after emigrating here) to assume evil (sinfulness, inadequacy, you name it) among Blacks and assume the opposite among their own. This is one of the unfortunate burdens that accompany being a member of America's Designated Them.

And I'm not immune to the tendency, either. My friend sent me a photo of what he was wearing when he was waiting for the bus to the gym. I recognized the style immediately; it's current fashion among young Black men. I responded to him, "Jeez, they were playing on a stereotype." Were he female and dressed in a certain fashion, some men still (even after we've had our consciousness raised about rape) would say about her should she get raped, "Well, she was asking for it."

No. They're never asking for it. Nor was my friend. And I know that there have been instances where cops have hassled Black men who don't look anything at all like the person they were looking for simply because they were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

What happened to my friend has strong parallels to an incident I reported on for Phillymag early in my freelance tenure there. The incident took place in Ardmore, where Lower Merion Township cops searched and roughed up a Black man who was waiting for the 105 bus back to 69th Street after a doctor's appointment. There had been a robbery at the TD Bank branch just up Lancaster Avenue from this bus stop, and the cops were looking for the perp. The only thing this guy had in common with the perp was, he was Black — but that was enough.

Ardmore's Black community (which dates to right after the Civil War) was incensed, and it put the heat on the Lower Merion Township Commissioners. I covered the protest and march to the commission meeting after the incident, where they demanded police reforms. (Unfortunately, I can't tell you what, if any, reforms were enacted, but the officers involved were suspended from the force.)

This happens often enough that many Blacks who do want better policing still sympathize with the innocents who become "collateral damage" in this "war on crime." I also wonder whether some of the problem may not have something to do with our thinking of this as a war. Fighting a war and policing ought to be two distinct and different things, and often enough, they're not.

BTW, my friend tells me that the Trenton Police Department gets sued frequently for stuff like this. I'd like to suggest that this says more about how the Trenton cops go about protecting and serving Trentonians than it does about the Trentonians doing the suing. (Keep in mind that most such suits don't go to trial but rather are settled out of court. Better police practices might save all Trentonnians a chunk o' change.)

Old 12-07-2022, 07:57 AM

9,419 posts, read 9,413,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post

Then again, Philly re-elected Krasner Nov. '21, 60%-40%. Imagine a Krasner-Gym duo...lol.

Interesting no one mentions our Police Commissioner here...it's all Kenney-Krasner.
Don't even put the idea out there...

On a positive note, from what I see online, Rebecca Rhynhart seems to have good momentum in a crowded primary. There are still hindrances (Krasner & Outlaw), but having a new pragmatic & centered Mayor will go a long way.

Old 12-07-2022, 10:52 AM

2,239 posts, read 1,139,284 times
Nonfatal + Fatal shootings since beginning of Summer (Jun 20th) to Dec. 7

2020: 1,332
2021: 1,191 (-11%)
2022: 1,116 (-6%)

Post George Floyd incident (May 25 - Dec. 7)

2020: 1525
2021: 1360 (- 12%)
2022: 1348 (- 0.89%)

2020, Post George Floyd + Riots/Protest was the deadliest in city history.

Crime is trending downward, however, more work needs to be done to get back to 2013-2016 levels of safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia