Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2022, 01:28 PM

389 posts, read 270,354 times

Advertisements

Yeah, it’s frustrating. I’d be more forgiving of the framing in articles like this if they were fair in other articles that showed positive statistics or developments for the city. It’s undoubtedly a terrible milestone but there’s no balance in their other coverage so it just seems like the paper has it out for the city.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:10 AM

1,036 posts, read 454,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
It's okay, MPK, I forgive you. Your tone is usually off, but I understand that's easy on an anonymous internet forum. Hopefully you are more polite in real life. You can look at comparative homicide or murder rates through many sources online. You will see Philadelphia is not alone in its struggle. I provided you one source, but your bitterness got in the way of you seeing my point. Peace be with you, MPK.
Classic bail-out...using the new classic also known as ''I don't like the way you state facts (bitterness) that I can't refute or twist around otherwise even as I continued to engage and dug myself into hole''..lol..and lecture people that there is a difference between homicides and murders...and then bail when asked what that difference is...lol.

Bet students today are being taught this tactic given that what used to be called a ''debate'' is too emotionally traumatic.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
That is awful. These are the disturbing crimes that hurt the image of the city, especially when the perp is walking free 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know why the DA isn't swiftly action on this?

This question is still being asked? There's been pages of discussion about what Larry & Co are up to and are all about.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
An unfortunate stat, but I wish the Inquirer would report with a bit more neutrality and mention that crime nearly across the board is trending (slowly) down.
For example, total homicides in 2022 are down by 7%, ~40 lives. That IMO is more than "slightly".

Per the Inquirer... While the total number of homicides recorded so far this year is slightly lower than last year’s record-breaking total...

I am not diminishing crime, but I can't remember that last time I read an Inquirer article that had a positive or neutral mood. Even a recent article about rising incomes in Philadelphia (which should be seen as good news) was twisted as a negative because poor people are being pushed out...

Philadelphia records 500 homicides for second year in a row, a tragic milestone as the gun violence crisis continues

https://www.inquirer.com/news/homici...-20221220.html
Again, how do we really know what's going on crime wise when even total homicides for 2020 may have been hedged to save these ''leaders'' face.

Do people actually believe that, say, retail theft/shoplifting etc is really going down? Down from what since the numbers have been misleading since day 1 with Larry.

Who knows what the totals are for carjackings...never really mentioned, including in the Inquirer.

Larry's been fudging the numbers by not prosecuting even those that may have been taken into custody for theft.

Philly PD has been ordered to reduce cop-black folks encounters; see also the Driver Equality Bill lol

The Inquirer constantly covers race issues; from racist highways, cops, and most recently the all important Christopher Columbus statue in south philly. You just cited an example here...more $$ residents=black folks being pushed out.

The Inquirer knows what the collateral issue in the end with $$ moving into the city: racism (even as Asians continue to outpace white incomes lol)-perhaps that's why our excellent Chinatown is on the ropes and no one is playing the race cared...yet at least.

Having seen, in part, the upgraded Washington Avenue...this took 10 years to do? This is white supremacy at work again? lol

The real crisis in Philly is the gun violence; Philly had its most violent summer on record and, despite a lull (seemed after that 14 student was shot after football practice, the #s slowed) but have picked up again in, of all months, December.

Kenney may very well have another record: 2,000+ in one mayoral term.

And we know the toll of all this is in the black community; so why wouldn't the Inquirer carry the headline and include a slight decline.

After all the Floyd Effect will linger for years and take out 1,000s+ black folks across the county in the end.

No one stated negative comments about racist highways, Columbus statues etc stories that supposedly are key black community issues (actually it's all bored white people issues using the black community) but object when the very real gun crisis in the black community killing upwards of 1,563 in less than 3 years is headlined...because it makes Philly look bad? smh

Old 12-21-2022, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Okay, don't exaggerate.

His life story is an up-from-hardship one, but he doesn't use the language of victimization all the time. He's probably a little to my right politically and attitudinally; I have yet to crack the copy of Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics he gave me.

The only "victimization story" he wanted to tell was the one of that parlticular incident. He told me his attorney had some other cases that he wanted to include in the narrative, and I suggested that he use some of jhem.

I think the heat of the moment has passed regarding the op-ed.
Well this is good to know given the #s of black males who have ''I'm oppressed'' on the tip of their tongues.
Then again the education system is in on drilling this untrue statement into them.

The attorney here is out of line by the way.

Old 12-21-2022, 11:42 AM

1,705 posts, read 984,905 times
^^I seem to remember a story in the Inky about neighborhood gangs and their responsibility for shootings this week.

Old 12-21-2022, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
^^I seem to remember a story in the Inky about neighborhood gangs and their responsibility for shootings this week.
Was this related to Krasner getting news and pressers about his sudden ''gang crack down''? Couldn't be related to his current impeachment for dereliction of duty lol

The #s weren't not large in this gang net, so why would this be ''big news'' for the DA given that cops are supposed to be doing this stuff anyway?

Total manipulation once again.

Remember, DA's policy is to crack down on gun violence AFTER it occurs, doing so before it occurs would lead cause too many arrests etc and skew the ''decreasing'' crime lie so he can create ''equality'' in crime stats.

Old 12-21-2022, 04:34 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,468,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
Classic bail-out...using the new classic also known as ''I don't like the way you state facts (bitterness) that I can't refute or twist around otherwise even as I continued to engage and dug myself into hole''..lol..and lecture people that there is a difference between homicides and murders...and then bail when asked what that difference is...lol.

Bet students today are being taught this tactic given that what used to be called a ''debate'' is too emotionally traumatic.
You are the one getting emotional. You are now putting the words into your own mouth that you wish you had said, most likely because you know it would have been the better thing to do. If you really forgot your own words, then go back and re-read. You never asked that.

You are deploying that technique in which one starts a sentence as "typical" or "classic" because from a less sophisticated standpoint, that gives one's argument some kind of brawn. Deploying words like "classic" is just a display of vapid emotion. C'mon, let's peddle in logic, not emotions of anger and hatred.

You failed (again) to understand the point: you sought to discredit numerous sources that place Philadelphia on par with many other US cities without looking into how these sources got their numbers.

Why are you bringing up unrelated topics like students? That is clearly OT, and it is obviously a deflection because you are uncomfortable confronting facts.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-24-2022 at 06:41 AM.. Reason: removed the "honey"

Old 12-21-2022, 08:03 PM

14,333 posts, read 9,210,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post

Remember, DA's policy is to crack down on gun violence AFTER it occurs, doing so before it occurs would lead cause too many arrests etc and skew the ''decreasing'' crime lie so he can create ''equality'' in crime stats.
You misread Krasner here.

He's not looking to implement an "equality of results" policy for crime and punishment. What he does makes more sense if you view it through a "he's never met a cop he liked" lens.

Frankly, it may be that he and FOP Lodge 5 are the enemies each other needs. They can go after him rather than clean up their own house, and he can tag them as the source of the problem rather than come up with ways to effectively prosecute crime short of just locking everyone up.

Old 12-22-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Honey, you are the one getting emotional. You are now putting the words into your own mouth that you wish you had said, most likely because you know it would have been the better thing to do. If you really forgot your own words, then go back and re-read. You never asked that.

You are deploying that technique in which one starts a sentence as "typical" or "classic" because from a less sophisticated standpoint, that gives one's argument some kind of brawn. Deploying words like "classic" is just a display of vapid emotion. C'mon, let's peddle in logic, not emotions of anger and hatred.

You failed (again) to understand the point: you sought to discredit numerous sources that place Philadelphia on par with many other US cities without looking into how these sources got their numbers.

Why are you bringing up unrelated topics like students? That is clearly OT, and it is obviously a deflection because you are uncomfortable confronting facts.
Uh, students mentioned you brought them up...lol

"I mean as a teacher, I see it every day. It's not just people of color. Check out rural areas with poverty and destitution. There are many behavior problems in classrooms there."

Definitely agree that the home and the classroom are the most important factors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia