Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2023, 03:25 PM

1,215 posts, read 963,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
It's both. Violent criminals are emboldened by the lack of tools law enforcement are given to combat the violence issues this city faces AS WELL AS the fact that once an arrest is made, the DA will do all he can do to get that criminal back up and running.

I will never understand the "clear the jails" mentality of Krasner. If the jails are too full, it's because too many criminals who commit crimes are in them (and no...I don't believe low-level drug possession warrants incarceration - I'm talking violent crime). Having too many people in jail is because too many people are committing crime, period.

Blaming the entire problem on Krasner is probably not entirely fair. He has repeatedly reinforced the notion that his "clear the jails" policy does NOT apply to violent criminals, but those perps slip through the massive cracks all the time. And the perception on the street from the criminals is that they will get back out with minimal cost and relative ease. "Consequences for your actions" is most certainly not a deterrent for crime in this environment. And this doesn't even touch on the disconnect between law enforcement and the AGs office. A more distant partnership has rarely occurred between those essential partners.

Front-end preventative programming and intervention is essential to the equation. We're going to have to educate and prepare disadvantaged youth with the knowledge that 1. a life of crime in the streets will not end like you think it's gonna end and 2. you have options that don't suck. But sending the message that you'll be able to treat the city like it's "Grand Theft Auto" and you'll be free to do it with zero consequences won't move the needle one bit. In fact, it's the major recruitment message delivered by gangs and criminal operators. "Don't worry, man. You'll be out in no time if they even catch you."

They laugh at this "Driver Equity" law, the "allowable retail theft" law and now this "Mask Law," among others. And the the people who are advocating for these criminals are the clowns in the equation. The criminals are laughing AT THEM.
Yeah, totally agree. It's mainly because we don't permanently remove enough "unreformable" criminals from society. If someone is attracted to children (under 12 years of age or whatever parameter is set) enough to rape and abuse them, they're not going to be suddenly unattracted to children after prision. These guilty parties need the death penalty instead of life in jail, or more likely these days, five years in jail, milking on the taxpayer tit. Also, serial rapists who forcibly attack and rape people need the same expulsion from society. Anyone with more than say five violent domestic assaults - same deal. Same with random, unprovoked murders. This would immediately clear up hundreds or thousands of cells in Philly and simultaneously free-up millions of dollars to actually institute a reform program for those criminals who made poor choices, but still have a lot of potential to contribute to society if they learn a skill or trade. It would also send a clear message to those that are on the fence of whether or not to begin their journey on the wrong side of the law. I wish some politician would stump on fixing our country's corrupt and privatized criminal justice system. A lot of the reason why we release criminals early or don't charge them at all is because our jails and prisons are beyond capacity. The mess of this system is having a terrible and lasting impact on society and very well might be a major contributing factor to the very real decline of our country.

Old 12-02-2023, 05:25 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,468,570 times
I am not speaking about Krasner's philosophy in particular here, but for those of who want to reduce the incarceration rate (in Philadelphia and beyond), the general idea is that non-violent actions, particularly those actions that only qualify as 'self-harm' or simple recreation by way of drug use, should not be criminalized. We should try collectively as a society to help anyone addicted to illicit drugs, and we should not be uptight about things like marijuana.

Yeah, yeah, I know some people want softer punishment for violent offenders. I am not one of them. I do think there is something to be learned from other developed countries who have a significantly lower incarceration rate. These places have more robust social safety nets, and as a result less anti-social and violent behavior. We can get at the 'root cause' while addressing those who partake in violence at the same time. It should be a 'yes-and' kind of approach.

Old 12-04-2023, 01:02 PM

1,705 posts, read 984,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
I am not speaking about Krasner's philosophy in particular here, but for those of who want to reduce the incarceration rate (in Philadelphia and beyond), the general idea is that non-violent actions, particularly those actions that only qualify as 'self-harm' or simple recreation by way of drug use, should not be criminalized. We should try collectively as a society to help anyone addicted to illicit drugs, and we should not be uptight about things like marijuana.

Yeah, yeah, I know some people want softer punishment for violent offenders. I am not one of them. I do think there is something to be learned from other developed countries who have a significantly lower incarceration rate. These places have more robust social safety nets, and as a result less anti-social and violent behavior. We can get at the 'root cause' while addressing those who partake in violence at the same time. It should be a 'yes-and' kind of approach.
Who the HAIL wants softer punishment for violent offenders

If you do that crap, you should get double put back on you. I don't care what your story is (or how old you are).

Old 12-04-2023, 02:04 PM

9,419 posts, read 9,413,042 times
So sad, glad this monster was quickly found.

Macy's double stabbing in Center City leaves one employee dead; suspect in custody
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ladelphia.html

Macy's security guards caught the suspect trying to steal merchandise from the store, according to our news partner NBC10. The suspect left the store but returned minutes later and attacked the guards. The suspect fled the store and threw the knife on the Market-Frankford subway tracks before later being arrested at the subway's Somerset Station in Kensington.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:26 PM

476 posts, read 278,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

Macy's double stabbing in Center City leaves one employee dead; suspect in custody

Macy's security guards caught the suspect trying to steal merchandise from the store, according to our news partner NBC10. The suspect left the store but returned minutes later and attacked the guards. The suspect fled the store and threw the knife on the Market-Frankford subway tracks before later being arrested at the subway's Somerset Station in Kensington.
Very tragic.

I also wonder how this impact's Macy's chances of staying open.

Old 12-04-2023, 05:35 PM

2,239 posts, read 1,139,284 times
Philly is too dangerous. The wokeist turned it into a cesspool of crime and degeneracy.

Can’t even go to the mall in center city without feeling in danger.

Old 12-04-2023, 06:09 PM

When someone is shot/killed in Kensington, it is tragic, but also chalk it up to "it's Kensington". However, incidents of security guards being murdered in broad daylight downtown will discourage visitors. This isn't a controversial take.

The average visitor does not care that gun violence and theft are down in North Philly; they're looking at reports on the news of incidents occurring in Center City and are second-guessing themselves or not coming at all. Control the violence in Center City and watch how the perception of danger changes.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-05-2023 at 06:17 AM.. Reason: removed moderator deleted quote and your comment

Old 12-05-2023, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
Who the HAIL wants softer punishment for violent offenders

If you do that crap, you should get double put back on you. I don't care what your story is (or how old you are).
Some people. I thought that was everyone’s complaint about Krasner?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post

My God. This is absolutely disgusting. Imagine being the innocent victim’s family or friend. I agree. I am glad he was quickly found. And he needs a SERIOUS consequence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
Philly is too dangerous. The wokeist turned it into a cesspool of crime and degeneracy.

Can’t even go to the mall in center city without feeling in danger.
Ashby, you seem inconsistent in your view of Philadelphia. Calling it a cesspool of crime and degeneracy is a bit dramatic and overly negative. Yeah, we've got issues, but one incident (or multiple, for that matter) in Center City does not make it a cesspool. Unfortunately, relatively high rates of violent crime has been a reality across America for a long time.

Old 12-05-2023, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Some people. I thought that was everyone’s complaint about Krasner?

My God. This is absolutely disgusting. Imagine being the innocent victim’s family or friend. I agree. I am glad he was quickly found. And he needs a SERIOUS consequence.

Ashby, you seem inconsistent in your view of Philadelphia. Calling it a cesspool of crime and degeneracy is a bit dramatic and overly negative. Yeah, we've got issues, but one incident (or multiple, for that matter) in Center City does not make it a cesspool. Unfortunately, relatively high rates of violent crime has been a reality across America for a long time.
If you and the other poster can’t pick up sarcasm than I don’t know what to tell you, however my point on the city curbing crime in center city still stands.

As bad as it may sound, people do not care about crime until it can or will affect them. The majority of tourist aren’t going to west or north Philly so the violence there has no impact on how they view the city.

Old 12-05-2023, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
If you and the other poster can’t pick up sarcasm than I don’t know what to tell you, however my point on the city curbing crime in center city still stands.

As bad as it may sound, people do not care about crime until it can or will affect them. The majority of tourist aren’t going to west or north Philly so the violence there has no impact on how they view the city.
Sarcasm doesn't translate well on the interwebs, Ashby. Well it can, but it especially doesn't when you don't do much to note the irony. I have seen you write some overly negative things about Philly in the past, but hey, maybe it was the same story then. Something as simple as an emoji can help convey your tone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia