Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2022, 01:19 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,451,831 times

Advertisements

When the Eagles make it to 6-0 by crushing the Cowboys at home, you know the arc of the universe bends towards justice.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-05-2022 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: Love the message, deleted the copyrighted photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2022, 04:49 AM

14,179 posts, read 9,068,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
When the Eagles make it to 6-0 by crushing the Cowboys at home, you know the arc of the universe bends towards justice.
I'm going to get this back on track by repeating the trivia question I wrote for the Pen & Pencil Club newsletter this week:

If the Philadelphia Eagles and the Kansas City Chiefs continue playing the way they have been so far this season, odds are good that the two teams may face each other in the Super Bowl for the first time in either team's history. If they do, the neighbors of a certain South Philadelphia sports bar may experience conflicted feelings.

Name the bar, and explain why they might feel conflicted.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:55 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Easy: Big Charlie’s Saloon. The reason they’re conflicted is it’s a chief’s bar in the middle of the Eagles home turf.

Old 10-17-2022, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Easy: Big Charlie’s Saloon. The reason they’re conflicted is it’s a chief’s bar in the middle of the Eagles home turf.
Something else tying the two teams together right now:

The Chiefs last week, and the Eagles this week, had their victories sealed by missed field goals by their opponents inside the two-minute warning. Both were near the career longs for their respective kickers.

I went to Big Charlie's when the Chiefs were in Supe LIV, along with a former Phillymag intern who lives in San Francisco (he was studying at Drexel) but hates the 49ers. I haven't decided what I will do should this come about, for I too will feel very conflicted. Can I root for both teams?

Maybe I should buy an ugly Christmas sweater for the occasion, for it will probably be the only article of clothing around that will contain both red and green.

Old 10-17-2022, 05:15 AM

7,737 posts, read 5,518,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Maybe I should buy an ugly Christmas sweater for the occasion, for it will probably be the only article of clothing around that will contain both red and green.
Lol well them both being in the Super Bowl would be a “Christmas” of sorts for you. I think you have earned your right to root for both if it comes down to that.

Old 10-17-2022, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Lol well them both being in the Super Bowl would be a “Christmas” of sorts for you. I think you have earned your right to root for both if it comes down to that.
Well, the Bills are looking even better --- sorry 'bout yesterday, Sandy. In my family, if it comes down to the Bills versus Eagles, I will be the lone man standing in favor of the Birds. And it would be sad, because we each favor the other in their respective division: My brother (the one who actually cares about football) and mom's favorite team is the Bills, but the Eagles are their second favorite team. And for me, it's reversed.

Sandy, were it to come down to the Chiefs versus Eagles, would you dare root for the Chiefs in Philadelphia?

Last edited by Muinteoir; 10-17-2022 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-17-2022, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
Well, the Bills are looking even better --- sorry 'bout yesterday, Sandy. In my family, if it comes down to the Bills versus Eagles, I will be the lone man standing in favor of the Birds. And it would be sad, because we each favor the other in their respective division: My brother (the one who actually cares about football) and mom's favorite team is the Bills, but the Eagles are their second favorite team. And for me, it's reversed.

Sandy, were it to come down to the Chiefs versus Eagles, would you dare root for the Chiefs in Philadelphia?
There are only two places where I would dare do that. One is inside my apartment. The other is Big Charlie's.

Given that I'd probably have to pay a pretty penny for the wristband I'd need to get into Big Charlie's were the Chiefs to make it into the Supe again (they had a bar set up in the middle of McKean Street just outside the bar for the folks who wanted to cheer the Chiefs on in Supe LIV* but couldn't get in), odds are I'd invite friends (including diehard Iggles fans) over for a watch party at my place instead. They'd understand.

Remember, folks, I call myself "a forever Kansas Citian and an adopted Philadelphian." Like Calvin Trillin, I wear my affection for my hometown on my sleeve.

*Of course, in that Super Bowl, the contingent of Philadelphians rooting for the Chiefs was probably much larger than usual, because just about all of Iggles Nation believed Andy Reid deserved a Super Bowl ring at long last. And here's another trivia question:

The inner sanctum at Big Charlie's (which I got to see because I visited the bar on a summer weekday in 2013 and told the bartender I was from KC) has all sorts of Chiefs memorabilia, including a scale model of Arrowhead Stadium and footballs signed by both Philadelphia Eagles head coaches who went on to coach the Chiefs. Reid was the second. Who was the first?

Old 10-17-2022, 07:17 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,338,690 times
Great game.
The Today's Show on NBC had a cool segment, behind the scenes action on how the field is beautifully maintained.
Great that the city is finally getting positive press.

Old 10-17-2022, 02:44 PM

121 posts, read 98,312 times
Which current Eagles veterans were coached under the last years of Andy Reid. I would think Kelce, Graham, and maybe Cox. Anyone else?

Old 10-19-2022, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish1 View Post
Which current Eagles veterans were coached under the last years of Andy Reid. I would think Kelce, Graham, and maybe Cox. Anyone else?
Good question, and imagine the drama of a Chiefs vs Eagles Super Bowl match up for Reid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia