Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 04:13 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times

Advertisements

Although I’m about as uninterested in organized sports as one can be, in the interest of feeling Philadelphian on this night of all nights, I decided to make a pepper chicken cheesesteak—American with—on a Liscio’s steak sandwich roll. The taste was perfectly fine. The one flaw was that the chicken breast I bought was cutlet, rather than steak sandwich, thin, so I couldn’t chop the meat smaller than larger chunks while cooking. I should have taken the time to pound it out more thinly. Never underestimate the importance of texture!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 03:43 PM

41,940 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
You cannot get good italian rolls like amoroso out here, it's just amazing how everything is fried chicken or fried catfish....yuck...
Oooh, catfish ... Yum! Good catfish melts in your mouth. Alas, it's not always good catfish.

Quote:
Where is Jersey Mike's?
Everywhere! The subs are pretty good; I've never had a cheesesteak there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Or use Provolone, which doesn't separate, instead.
Or always use provolone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
ALso, Ive never heard of shoo-fly pie until your post and looked that up too and that looks amazing as well. There's enough Amish folks around Ohio that you can bet I will either find them local or order one online. I gotta try it...
Time for you to venture out into Adams County, my friend. Or go the other way into Indiana.

Quote:
Just keep calm and remember my rule of thumb.
Don't go to Cheddars at all?

Old 02-18-2023, 06:00 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
my sister was telling me last evening, that there is a place in CA that has really good Cheesesteaks, but, what they do is have good Italian Rolls, flown out to CA from the east coast....and they do one heck of a business...but I forget the name of the place.

Old 03-03-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtownBucks View Post
Not a cheesesteak, but I just got back from a place in Morrisville (that is closing soon sadly) called Comfort Food Kitchenette where I got a short rib grilled cheese that was really fantastic. It's a grilled cheese on Texas Toast with four kinds of cheese and beef (short ribs) that is obviously grilled in like a mountain of butter. Again, def. not a cheesesteak, but in terms of beef and cheese based sandwiches, it's one of the best I've ever had.
sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing

Old 03-03-2023, 07:43 PM

12,958 posts, read 9,473,611 times
I totally agree with the OP. When I was in the Naval Reserve, I spent several two-week periods at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, and usually gained about 5 lbs over the time there. Before my first trip to Philadelphia, I'd never tried, nor even heard of, a Philly cheesesteak. Went to several hole-in-the-wall places, and all were delicious. I've tried several places here since then, and they just don't compare. All are tough, have a strange odor, and tase even worse. Jersey Mike's is supposed to be good, and they go through the motions (two spatulas, etc.), but they just don't taste like the real thing. I suppose they just don't get the right kind of beef.

Old 03-03-2023, 09:58 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
my sister was telling me last evening, that there is a place in CA that has really good Cheesesteaks, but, what they do is have good Italian Rolls, flown out to CA from the east coast....and they do one heck of a business...but I forget the name of the place.
One of the regulars at the P&P was telling me about this place tonight.

It's located in LA. I forget its name, too.

It shares with Grinders in my hometown a Philadelphian owner as well. And I believe I've already explained Grinders (by Stretch) to you.

Old 03-03-2023, 10:31 PM

Quote:
One of the regulars at the P&P was telling me about this place tonight.

It's located in LA. I forget its name, too.

It shares with Grinders in my hometown a Philadelphian owner as well. And I believe I've already explained Grinders (by Stretch) to you.
yes, Grinders is good....but my sister and I were discussing the Philly Cheesesteak, we used to take the train down to Philly and go see the sights, and get philly cheesesteak, although in Quakertown, PA there were many places that made a great Philly Cheesesteak....

But since I moved to Kentucky now they are trying to copy it here, and doing a very bad job of it...and when I walk into a place and see "Philly Cheesesteak" on a menu, it really gets my hopes up....but alas, I have yet to find one that is even close and it's so easy to make...but and I know this will upset some people, but I don't like provalon on mine, it's gotta be Xtra White American Cheese. lol or the cheese wiz....

btw I got both knee replacements done down at the University of Penn got off Market St East and walked down to the University....what an experience. LOL and I didn't get a cheesesteak. :0(

I heard they redid that mall? It's been years since I've gone down there....used to also go down in the spring and sit by the river and read...that was before they put in the boardwalk.

Old 03-03-2023, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I totally agree with the OP. When I was in the Naval Reserve, I spent several two-week periods at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, and usually gained about 5 lbs over the time there. Before my first trip to Philadelphia, I'd never tried, nor even heard of, a Philly cheesesteak. Went to several hole-in-the-wall places, and all were delicious. I've tried several places here since then, and they just don't compare. All are tough, have a strange odor, and tase even worse. Jersey Mike's is supposed to be good, and they go through the motions (two spatulas, etc.), but they just don't taste like the real thing. I suppose they just don't get the right kind of beef.
yeah, ya gotta use those great Italian Amoroso Rolls....a good Italian roll is half the flavor...and the steak cannot be fried hard and must be shaved...they Finally sell it out here in Kentucky but, they don't have any great Italian rolls out here....SMH....

also, someone told me, it has to do with the oil they use on the grill when they fry the steak and onions. But there are no GREEN PEPPERs in a philly cheesesteak...but they put them in out here...awful tasting....

But when made right, they are to die for...aren't they?

LOL

Last edited by cremebrulee; 03-03-2023 at 10:45 PM..

Old 03-03-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
ALso, Ive never heard of shoo-fly pie until your post and looked that up too and that looks amazing as well. There's enough Amish folks around Ohio that you can bet I will either find them local or order one online. I gotta try it...
Shoo fly pie is delicious and was named b/c when the amish made their pies, they'd set them outside to cool after taking them out of the oven and of course, had to shoo the flys....even better is an Amish Funny Cake, I make them...they are so good....

Can't get any of that here, no ring bologne, no super good Wawa soft pretzels, no scrapple, lebonon bologne....they are not big on ethnic food other than Mexican

Any chinese place here, doesn't know how to make fried rice...they just throw some white rice on the grill and call it fried rice....

Honestly, I swear if someone from the East coast would come here and open a diner, they'd be packed, b/c people love to eat out here....

any doctor that I go to, always seems to ask me, what I miss or liked most about PA and I say, the food...and one of them had a philly cheesesteak and told me, he couldn't believe how good they were and how much better the food is in PA

I mean, what they make here is good, don't get me wrong, but they fry EVERYTHING, and do not have much of a choice.

We went to this supposidly high end restaurant, and I ordered Calamari for an appetizer, and they had the nerve, to serve French fries with it for an appetizer??????

Another place serves pretty good food, but the food literally swims in sauce....another Italian place was good, but the owner was so skimpy with everything, even lemons, and bread and we had to ask for it....SMH and pasta doesn't cost that much...right?

BTW, Kentucky had some tornadoes today, so if you would, keep those families in prayer would you please.

We had crazy high winds all day....blew a sign over on top of a car and crushed it....

Old 03-04-2023, 07:02 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
I heard they redid that mall? It's been years since I've gone down there....used to also go down in the spring and sit by the river and read...that was before they put in the boardwalk.
They did. It's now called Fashion District Philadelphia. The facelift was nice, and the mall is less overrun by teenagers than it used to be. But above the concourse and street levels it still seems to struggle. However, it now has a bowling alley, an AMC multi-screen theater and two co-working facilities in it. It also has a big restaurant and concert venue called City Winery Philadelphia, part of a chain that I believe was born in Nashville.

But no place to get a decent cheesesteak. But that's no biggie, for there are several within walking distance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia