Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2023, 10:08 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
For a while, Pat's had other locations in the city. I personally remember seeing one on the Boulevard somewhere around C Street. That Charley's blog entry claims that cheese was added to the steak by the manager of a Pat's Steaks on Ridge Avenue in the 1940s. ISTR that Pat's flirted with franchising in the 1990s but ultimately abandoned the idea.

Pat's nephew Herb opened a place in the Reading Terminal Market around that time called "Oliveri Prince of Steaks." I think this was the byproduct of one of those family falling-outs that seem to afflict family businesses in this city.
I remember getting cheesesteaks in the Terminal but don’t remember their name,

thank you so much for your informative posts
You’ve shared some very informative nostalgic information love it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 06:41 AM

752 posts, read 458,920 times
So I had a steak from Geno's for the first time in well over a year. Very good. My only complaint was that it was under seasoned but that was quickly remedied by the salt and pepper shakers that they have on all the tables.

I still have trouble with the whole "tourist trap" narrative considering that in my estimation, they use superior ingredients - good roll and fresh slices of ribeye. You can't that about many places out there.

Old 07-24-2023, 08:41 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
BTW, I've actually been inside Geno's Steaks; I was invited to be a fly on the wall when Kevin Kennedy recorded an episode of his podcast "Your Valuable Home" there, interviewing Geno Vento. (There's a seating area in the far corner (relative to the 9th/Passyunk intersection) of the triangular space.)

Geno had a great attitude and operating philosophy: "Check your ego at the door." In his interview, he sang the praises of "the red knobs" (Wolf gas ranges).

And this place was the cleanest sandwich shop I've ever seen. They had a thorough daily cleaning routine, and the floors really were so clean you could eat off of them.

Regardless of reputation, that's enough to recommend Geno's to just about anyone, IMO.

Old 07-24-2023, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
So I had a steak from Geno's for the first time in well over a year. Very good. My only complaint was that it was under seasoned but that was quickly remedied by the salt and pepper shakers that they have on all the tables.

I still have trouble with the whole "tourist trap" narrative considering that in my estimation, they use superior ingredients - good roll and fresh slices of ribeye. You can't that about many places out there.
boy those rolls are excellent, they don't have anything out here in BG KY like that, they are so good.

Old 07-24-2023, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
BTW, I've actually been inside Geno's Steaks; I was invited to be a fly on the wall when Kevin Kennedy recorded an episode of his podcast "Your Valuable Home" there, interviewing Geno Vento. (There's a seating area in the far corner (relative to the 9th/Passyunk intersection) of the triangular space.)

Geno had a great attitude and operating philosophy: "Check your ego at the door." In his interview, he sang the praises of "the red knobs" (Wolf gas ranges).

And this place was the cleanest sandwich shop I've ever seen. They had a thorough daily cleaning routine, and the floors really were so clean you could eat off of them.

Regardless of reputation, that's enough to recommend Geno's to just about anyone, IMO.
interesting....and Geno's philosophy was a great one....there is nothing like a clean are where you pick up your food....

I used to go to Franks in, PA for a great cheesesteak, and there were many that made great cheesesteaks...but one day I asked if they bought a new range, and he said, nope, I cleaned it with this, and he held up a glass jar of pickle juice.....lol

Old 07-24-2023, 12:54 PM

32,084 posts, read 34,676,186 times
I feel like Max's is quickly becoming the most popular cheesesteak/hoagie spot in the city due to all the celebrity from "This Is Us" and "Creed." 20 years ago, I'd say a lot of West and South Philly natives didn't even know about it, but now I hear about out-of-towners making Max's a part of their trip.

Old 07-24-2023, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
I feel like Max's is quickly becoming the most popular cheesesteak/hoagie spot in the city due to all the celebrity from "This Is Us" and "Creed." 20 years ago, I'd say a lot of West and South Philly natives didn't even know about it, but now I hear about out-of-towners making Max's a part of their trip.
Well tell him to open one up out here in Bowling Green, Ky
They keep making what they call a Philly cheese steak and let me tell ya honey, not even close

Old 07-24-2023, 06:57 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
There’s a cheesesteak place in New Zealand, and our reporter at the World Cup tried it

A cheesesteak place in Auckland, NZ with a picture of Obama probably taking a bite into a Chicago Italian Beef lol.

I always like Pats and Genos. I don't care what the haters say. What's funny about the people who hate them, will unironically turn around and try to pass of places like Jim's and Delassandro's as 'non'-touristy spots even though they are also super touristy.

Old 07-25-2023, 04:41 AM

2,045 posts, read 782,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
There’s a cheesesteak place in New Zealand, and our reporter at the World Cup tried it

A cheesesteak place in Auckland, NZ with a picture of Obama probably taking a bite into a Chicago Italian Beef lol.

I always like Pats and Genos. I don't care what the haters say. What's funny about the people who hate them, will unironically turn around and try to pass of places like Jim's and Delassandro's as 'non'-touristy spots even though they are also super touristy.
It's usually a suburbanite or transplant that starts in with the 'tourist trap' claims.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:09 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
It's usually a suburbanite or transplant that starts in with the 'tourist trap' claims.
Neither Pat's nor Geno's are "tourist traps," which is a bit more pejorative than "touristy."

The latter term simply means that tourists tend to patronize a place so described more than locals do. A "tourist trap" is designed to lure unknowing visitors to it by offering some sort of simulation (often overpriced) of the thing the tourist came to see/get/experience.

And I would say that Dalessandro's is less touristy than the dueling shops at Cheesesteak Corner simply because it's harder to reach from Center City. Lots of tourists check out the Italian Market thanks to "Rocky"; no one visits Roxborough just to see it. You have to want to go to Dalessandro's, and most tourists won't have heard of it until they get here. And with nothing else nearby to do or see, it will be easy for tourists to strike it from their list.

Max's, at Broad/Erie/Germantown, isn't touristy yet; locals still way outnumber outsiders in the lines that form there on weekend nights. That may change once the new hotel opens in the Boner 4Ever building, but not yet; the tourists will only visit during the day because of the area's still-rough character. However, it does get more tourists than Dalessandro's does because of two things: its TV and movie exposure ("Creed," "This is Us") and its location right atop an express station on the Broad Street Line, making it easy to get to and from. (I'm there twice a day almost every day because there are places I frequent in Center City and this is where I transfer between the bus and the subway. But I've only ordered a cheesesteak at Max's once so far in the year-plus I've lived where I live now.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia