Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2023, 08:44 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,115,646 times

Advertisements

Bold is mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
........ I first had one at a Comcast media party at Citizens Bank Park, where the (Black, female) proprietor of a restaurant that served them was offering them to attendees.
This is a case where the race and gender of the person are completely irrelevant. IMO.
So why mention them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 08:52 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
The last time I had a Philly Cheesesteak was at a Jersey Mike's not in Philly, very generic but not too bad for what it was.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:58 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
The last time I had a Philly Cheesesteak was at a Jersey Mike's not in Philly, very generic but not too bad for what it was.
Where is Jersey Mike's?

Old 02-08-2023, 09:13 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Bold is mine.

This is a case where the race and gender of the person are completely irrelevant. IMO.
So why mention them?
A reference to the origins of the salmon cheesesteak. At the time (2017), I don't think anyone who wasn't Black was making these.

There was a shop near where I used to live in East Germantown that had a sign boasting it was the "home of the best salmon cheesesteak." That was the first time I'd heard of the sandwich (I moved to East Germantown in 2013). I tried going there on several occasions to order one, but the shop was very poorly run with inconsistent hours of operation, and whenever I went there, it wasn't open.

Old 02-08-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Where is Jersey Mike's?
Like Jimmy John's, Jersey Mike's is a chain with thousands of locations across the country.

At least it was founded in New Jersey and still based there.

Old 02-08-2023, 01:44 PM

10,228 posts, read 6,309,606 times
First time I ever had a cheesesteak was when daughter and I went on a tour of the Correctional Facility in Philly. Her friend lived in Philly and recommended a place. Daughter is a Vegan so only I had it. Very good.

Couple of things. When we lived in Florida, husband was always complaining he could not get good ROLLS there. They are fine in PA, as were in NY.

I am not a fan of American Cheese, though. Forget Cheese Whiz or Velveeta. I prefer Cheddar. I have seen a few places here in Poconos which give a choice of American or Provolone for their cheesesteaks.

Shredded Rib Eye? I buy whole tenderloins at BJ's. Cut them into steaks for grilling and shred the smaller ends which I use for stir fry. Nothing beats tenderloin! The method for cooking the beef is exactly the same. Very fast and very high heat. I don't have a flat top grill but cast iron skillet works just fine.

You all have given me the inspiration to try to cook my own cheesesteaks. BTW, I gotta have my fresh MUSHROOMS as well!

Old 02-08-2023, 02:25 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
First time I ever had a cheesesteak was when daughter and I went on a tour of the Correctional Facility in Philly. Her friend lived in Philly and recommended a place. Daughter is a Vegan so only I had it. Very good.

Couple of things. When we lived in Florida, husband was always complaining he could not get good ROLLS there. They are fine in PA, as were in NY.

I am not a fan of American Cheese, though. Forget Cheese Whiz or Velveeta. I prefer Cheddar. I have seen a few places here in Poconos which give a choice of American or Provolone for their cheesesteaks.

Shredded Rib Eye? I buy whole tenderloins at BJ's. Cut them into steaks for grilling and shred the smaller ends which I use for stir fry. Nothing beats tenderloin! The method for cooking the beef is exactly the same. Very fast and very high heat. I don't have a flat top grill but cast iron skillet works just fine.

You all have given me the inspiration to try to cook my own cheesesteaks. BTW, I gotta have my fresh MUSHROOMS as well!
Tenderloin is, well, tender. But it has fairly little flavor and not enough fat to taste like anything but shoe leather when cooked well-done. That’s why ribeye is preferred. Even sirloin, which has a similar fat content but far more flavor, is better (and sometimes used accordingly).

As for cheddar cheese, I suppose the mildest and least aged of cheddars (which in large part constitute American cheese) would be fine. But don’t go telling your friends about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Like Jimmy John's, Jersey Mike's is a chain with thousands of locations across the country.

At least it was founded in New Jersey and still based there.
While I’m not surprised that their cheesesteaks are subpar, as far as their regular subs go, Jersey Mike’s is fairly decent. I wouldn’t choose it over a local mom and pop shop, or a more local chain like Primo. But as far as nationwide long sandwich purveyors go, they might be the very best.

Old 02-08-2023, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

Slice, don't shred. And make the slices thin. Not deli-sandwich thin, but thin.

Otherwise, what ElijahAstin said. And don't use the really good aged Cheddar — it will separate on the grill. Seriously: if you can find processed Cheddar (I bought some recently at the Grocery Outlet up my way), go for it for your cheesesteaks to get the proper melt. Or use Provolone, which doesn't separate, instead.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:13 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
Jo48 First time I ever had a cheesesteak was when daughter and I went on a tour of the Correctional Facility in Philly. Her friend lived in Philly and recommended a place. Daughter is a Vegan so only I had it. Very good.
Did you tour Eastern State Penitentiary? If so, that is such a worthwhile tour, very interesting.

Quote:
A good Italian Roll can make or break a cheesesteak or hoagie.

Old 02-08-2023, 08:14 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
I should have expected this topic to set off sparks but I don't think I've had a cheesesteak in...5 years? But I am positive it was from Dalessandros's provolone and onion. The only "local" cuisine I am particular about is shoofly pie which I only recently have seen in some grocery stores around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia