Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 09:12 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,399,588 times

Advertisements

I don't know, but it's not just Drexel Hill that has high Delco taxes, that was just an example. I live in Brookhaven borough, which has more reasonable taxes, but I understand many of the Delco towns have high taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:27 AM

938 posts, read 1,227,996 times
Default Tax losses are a threat to operating munipalities!!!

I believe its time for municipalities to monitor the severity of the mortgage crisis and to take steps to do a street by street analysis of what impact this crisis will have upon their given providence. As taxes fail to be collected shortfalls will cause cuts in services and programs. They have no idea at this time how the worsening of the mortgage crisis and the deep loss to property values will ultimately affect them. I ask that they take the time to create a street monitor to have a questionaire completed to give an idea of just how bad bad can be. Tired of surprises its time for mutual cooperation and disclosure so that we can completley analyze the problems now faced and about to be faced and come up with a plausible solution. We've been on this "Titantic" like ride long enough; and, if there are more icebergs out there I'd like to know of them now. What do you think? The first utterances will be of "Invasion of Privacy" - I accept that fact -it will be an individual decision.

Old 08-10-2011, 09:14 AM

802 posts, read 1,321,053 times
I was considering moving to Delaware County 12 years ago until I saw what the property taxes were.

Taxes on rowhomes were an average of $3,000 and keep in mind this was in 1999. I decided to stay and buy in Philly.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:57 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie1125 View Post
I was considering moving to Delaware County 12 years ago until I saw what the property taxes were.

Taxes on rowhomes were an average of $3,000 and keep in mind this was in 1999. I decided to stay and buy in Philly.
That's fine if you work in the city and are stuck paying the wage tax anyway. I lived in Drexel Hill for decades and both of my children graduated their excellent schools. I guess I have no complaints

Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 AM

Default Home Taxes High - what can help?

Well after Qualifying Thousands for a Mortgage and having reviewed numerous returns - I point out again what I pointed out in another post. Don't have Uncle Sam be your banker, Many of us receive a tax return? In one open house I did I had 5 buyers through and they participated in my little survey -- "Did you receive a tax refund last Tax Period". 3 of them expressed a concern on how high the taxes were in Delaware County on this property. In asking them what they did with the return they spoke honestly -- "We spent it". 2 of 3 didn't recall what they spent it on? You probably guessed the answer. 5 for 5 - 4 presently own a home and were looking to buy up. The refunds ranged from a low of $3K to a high of almost 7K. They have Uncle Sam routinely banking $250 to more than $500 monthly. In most cases this amount placed back in their paycheck would more than cover the increase of taxes in the new home. In many cases they would still receive a Refund on the new house because of the increased taxes and probable larger mortgage interest deduction. Of course there is risk with the way our congress is toying with the tax code and how methodically they make wrong decisions that could soon sterile our economy. Now you could have that money in your check next week if you just contact your payroll department or personnel and adjust the exemptions. I quote a theme from a TV AD (however I believe I may have spoke it first) and giving them rightful credit **"Get the Money when you need it".

**Refers to the Wentworth Ad

Old 08-22-2011, 09:30 AM

434 posts, read 1,312,459 times
With this thread revived, I wanted to mention out a couple of things from my experience with taxes in Delaware County (Nether Providence township, specifically):

1. Property taxes are much less than school taxes, which are determined & paid separately. Only about 15% of my overall tax burden from home ownership is for the house & property itself, the other 85% or so goes directly to the school district. This may be a semantic difference, but perhaps an important distinction for some.

2. New construction seems to be taxed at a much higher rate than older homes. From a tax perspective, it makes more sense to buy an old house that has been completely remodeled than a newly built house.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:57 PM

Many of us receive a tax return? In one open house I

In this thread Return should read refund. Thanks friend for pointing out.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Default Interesting Development in Upper Darby!!!!!

The Delco Times banner reads something like this: "300+ Face Expulsion?" This story indicates that the tag on educating a student is $9,000 and at 300+ equates to $270K. It is a sorry state of affairs that outlining districts parents have to covertly educate their children. It is also grossly unfair that census shows those school age kids under a different school district. The more concerning is that everyone believes the taxes are grossly unfair and too high this only supports the relevance of their concerns. Is this a legal issue of "gross negligence" on the part of the administrators or a problem that seemingly was unsolvable -- do we take a deep breath and say "Thank God" they're doing something or be concerned it may create a greater mess. I don't know the answer but I am going to stay tuned as it develops. My thought is that Education should be a national priority and munipalities/subdivisions makes for a variation in learning and standards throughout the nation. Costs attached to properties creates another bump in the road to financial recovery -- who has the answer - I know I don't.

Old 09-29-2011, 02:20 AM

Shhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe they'll go away. We're such good sports in Delaware County???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia