Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2008, 03:44 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,508 times

Advertisements

my "suburb" threads has been fairly helpful so far, so I figured I'd keep it going by asking another town I'm considering for me and my young family: Downingtown.

From what I can tell, there is a decent selection of older homes and newer houses (we prefer older with charm), and the $$$ for housing seems fairly reasonable. Schools seem good as well.

Are there "good" parts and "bad" parts of Downingtown? Anywhere I should steer clear of?

My other fear is the "far away" factor. It just seems like Downingtown is so far away. I don't need to be right in the middle of everything, but from what I can tell it looks like Downingtown is 20-30 drive to a lot of things that I would enjoy (good, local restaurants as opposed to chains, for example). Anyone have any experience living here and can tell me if there is any disconnection feeling there?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 04:48 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,530,868 times
Downingtown is less then 10 miles from West Chester and about the same distance to Exton. Both places have chains and unique restaurants as well as shopping.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:05 PM

71 posts, read 185,720 times
Default Steer Away from Coatesville School District

"Are there "good" parts and "bad" parts of Downingtown? Anywhere I should steer clear of?"

Maestro,

The only thing to steer clear of is a Downingtown address that is located within Coatesville School District. Other than that, Downingtown has a very good school district, is pretty laid back, and has very reasonably priced houses. Good Luck.

Old 09-28-2008, 11:26 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
The downtown section is shabby but not dangerous in any way. And you are quite well located for most anything you could want - Exton for shopping, West Chester for restaurants and walking, Wegman's in Downingtown, Lancaster for day trips, parks, green space, mature trees...

It really is a pretty great area. The people are exceptionally friendly. And the homes will be a lot cheaper than a lot of other areas, cept for Chester Springs, maybe Lionville.

Finding distinctive architecture that's not in the down town area or way out in the sticks is kind of the hard part...but we really love having deer, hawks, fox, and believe or not a box turtle nearby. The turtle laid eggs in our front yard in August and we've been waiting for them to hatch ever since...you don't see that every day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia