Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:20 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommi View Post
I hate emails/posting at times as one can read so much more in a posting and take things so personally. I'm not trying to make personal attacks, perhaps I'm misinformed perhaps others are sensitive? Who knows. All I know is when I moved to the area and met with 2 different real estate companies and checked the local Philadelphia magazine they each pointed me in the Lower Merion direction for both investment and education. Additionally, the original post was asking us to give our opinions...
No disagreement in what you say in regards to the realtors pimping the Mainline as the only acceptable place to live with those of a higher standard of living. Thats absolutely true. The realtors are incredibly incorrect in their premise, but your statement regarding the realtors was right on the money. If you have money Realtors are going to try to sell you on the Mainline.

But you can't deny that you did contradict yourself. "I wouldn't live anywhere but Lower Merion." " Lower Merion is not a snobbish place etc." Ding ding ding..... Snob radar is going bonkers.

Quote:
If you search this very website under city information and check Media, the median house value is $138,500 (year 2000) and Median household income: $42,703 (year 2000). For Ardmore the values are Median household income: $60,966 (year 2000) & Median house value: $156,600 (year 2000). Radnor values are Median household income: $74,272 (year 2000) & Median house value: $326,500 (year 2000). Swarthmore values are Median household income: $82,653 (year 2000) & Median house value: $258,000 (year 2000). Wayne/Merion/Bala Cynwyd, Gladwyne were not listed or I would have included them. Looks like there is wealth everywhere...
Not to nitpick but just to set the record straight I did say the Media area. Media itself is a fairly modest town. The surrounding area(Rose Tree,Rose Valley,Upper Providence,Springton,Thornbury,Glen Mills,Edgmont,Swarthmore,Willistown,Newtown) is extremely livable to put it mildly. I was not attempting to defend the Media area, rather trying to explain to people that the Mainline isn't the only nice upper middle class area to live in. " I would never live any other place but Lower Merion"

If it were left up to the people of the mainline, apparently yourself included, an outsider would never believe living outside the mainline is remotely possible. Which is absolutely ridiculous.

You would never hear someone from Swarthmore,Bryn athyn, Birmingham Township or Chadds Ford say I would never live anywhere but here. The facts are that the Mainline people really do think they are something special.Thats the reality of it.

Its a great place but its not the only great place to live in this region. Far from it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2007, 06:08 PM

1,242 posts, read 4,035,835 times
Default media

I grew up in Media...and live in Delco now but about to move to NC! We want a more relaxe style and a change of scenary! I would highly recommend the Pocopson area..it is near West Chester also Chadds Ford is beautiful. Finally look into Garnet Valley and Glen Mills. My hubby travels to work to and these areas are about 35 mins. without traffic to the airport.

The main line is very nice for people that grew up here and know everyone but as a newcomer I would not move there..just old family money types in my opinion and my brother lives in a 3 million dollar house up there. Everyone is way more friendly and not stuck up in the areas I mentioned.

Media again in my opinion is okay..you would make more money buying in Chester County though.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:19 PM

22 posts, read 79,763 times
Media is a nice place to live. The school district is Rosetree Media , I lived in Edgmont which is right outside of Media, Take baltimore pike to 352 and its a small town with a large state park, horseback riding The school district is the same, and they have a great little league and soccer. My kids were on the Newtown, Edgmont team. Newtown Square is a great place to live, if your in Media go straight on 252 pass the Delaware Community College and you will enter Newtown Square, Delaware County, they have great developments like Toll Brothers Springton Point or a pricier development of Springton. There are also new development going in but over 1m. You can still find a beautiful home. THat whole area is great for families, Wallingford/Swarthmore, great public schools too., Media, Marple , Newtown Square, Broomal, and of course the
mainline, Villanova, Bryn Mar, Berwyn, they all have great schools and of very family oriented but you will pay more in property taxes and school tax on the mainline.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:12 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Nothing wrong with adding to an active thread, or even an inactive thread I guess. But the op for this one made the one and only post in March of last year......

Old 12-26-2007, 05:40 PM

16 posts, read 111,284 times
Media looks nice, but its time is past. Newtown is the hyped up new builder location, media taxes are too high. Its a middle class neighborhood that considers itself Main Lineish. Very wrong, there are plenty of newer locations, Collegeville phoenixville, malvern exton etc. Media? old homes high taxes and yesterday's story.

Old 12-26-2007, 06:14 PM

Interesting perspective.

Media's time has past just like the Mona Lisa or Beethovens ninth symphony has past. Media is a rarity, an old town that has managed to come all the way back. Its one of the 5 best actual towns in the Philadelphia metro imo. Collegeville and Media may as well be on two different planets as far as character and charm. Media and the area surrounding Media borough (Upper Providence,Edgmont,Rose Valley,Newtown) are hardly yesterdays news.Along with the obscene wealth in parts of Bucks County,Chester County, and the Mainline- the Media area is among the most prestigious. 40 year old houses start at $1 M plus around Ridley Creek State Park/Springton Lake. New homes start at $2.5 million.Your average 15 year old Mcmansion in Rose Tree Estates(Media) sells for close to $800K

Old 12-30-2007, 08:39 AM

5 posts, read 26,606 times
I grew up in the Media area all my childhood. Went to Nether Providence High School, now called Strath Haven. Just 15 years ago, (I'm 50 years old) we lived in Springfield, which is the next town over. We now live in Chadds Ford, and this is by far the best place out of them all. Very scenic countryside, little traffic congestion( a big complaint of mine about Media & Springfield) and shopping malls are close. I-95 is also close (airport access) and train access for downtown Philly commute is also close. (Why drive to downtown Philly for work?)

All in all, this is the best place. We are the #1 rated schools (Unionville-Chadds Ford School District) in all of Pennsylvania the last few years. You owe it to yourself to come out and take a look.

Proof for the doubters...

http://www.ucfsd.org/pubs/winter05nl.pdf

Last edited by Dave M.; 12-30-2007 at 08:52 AM..

Old 12-30-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M. View Post
I grew up in the Media area all my childhood. Went to Nether Providence High School, now called Strath Haven. Just 15 years ago, (I'm 50 years old) we lived in Springfield, which is the next town over. We now live in Chadds Ford, and this is by far the best place out of them all. Very scenic countryside, little traffic congestion( a big complaint of mine about Media & Springfield) and shopping malls are close. I-95 is also close (airport access) and train access for downtown Philly commute is also close. (Why drive to downtown Philly for work?)

All in all, this is the best place. We are the #1 rated schools (Unionville-Chadds Ford School District) in all of Pennsylvania the last few years. You owe it to yourself to come out and take a look.

Proof for the doubters

http://www.ucfsd.org/pubs/winter05nl.pdf
Chadds Ford is a great area to raise a family but lets keep it real here. Every superintendant of a prestigious school district makes that same exact claim ,some angle that proves they are the best school district in the state.That pdf you gave was from 2004, psts,sat scores change from semester to semester. Great school district-lets not get carried away though.This is like the 7th poster who has claimed that their school district is the top ranked one in the state. Where is the train stop in Chadds Ford?

Chadds Ford is a very nice countryesque community which I would highly recommend but you are comparing apples and oranges as far as Media and Springfield. Two completely different types of communities.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:40 PM

8 posts, read 36,731 times
I have to agree with rainrock. Gladwyne, Villanova, Radnor, Penn Valley, Bryn Mawr, Haverford and Rosemont are all nice areas. one thing to keep in mind is do you want to be in a country setting (horse country) or closer to Philaldelphia and the arts and theater? of course, if you are in the areas above, you will be pretty close to Philaldelphia but Media is getting out there a little bit. Some beautiful areas are also in Bucks County: Lahaska, Wasingtons Crossing and Yardley.

hope this helps.

tina

Old 01-06-2008, 03:40 PM

27 posts, read 106,714 times
Default Media

I live in Glen Mills and my kids go to Rose Tree Media Schools. We've been here 4 years and love it, having returned after an eight year absence. You have to decide if you are looking to move to Media proper, or one of the surrounding areas. Media Boro itself has a 1% earned income tax. Middletown Township has some businesses, (Granite Run Mall to name one,) and has a lower tax base than other parts of RTM schools.

Media is a great town to dine in, has a live theater, and most importantly TRADER JOEs! Personally, I love our Glen Mills location as we are but 3 miles from a mall, yet live in the country. Glenwood Elementary is great, and traveling to sales tax free shopping in DE is less than 10 miles away. DE county has a fantastic public library system as well.

With your price range, you could get quite the nice house. You will get a much better value for the money here than on the main line. Swarthmore/Wallingford has an excellent school system, housing that is less expensive up front than RTM schools, but more expensive in terms of annual taxes. Around here, an older house can be significantly cheaper than a newer home from a tax point of view. I saved a client $5,000/year in taxes by encouraging them to buy a 5 year old home rather than brand new. You also have to consider whether or not there is an earned income tax for the place you are looking to buy, although if you are going to work in Philly itself, your home base tends to waive your EI taxes.

I used to be a Realtor in the area, though due to a possible relocation of our own my license is now escrowed, so I can no longer help you professionally. I can point you in the direction of some great people I've worked with, or feel free to email me if you want specifics on the area.

Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia