Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 01:31 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,717,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I can say definitively orrmobl is spreading fallacies to prop up Philly weather to seem better then Pittsburgh which is only 5hrs aways...YEAH big difference.
So? College Park is only 2.5 hours away, yet the winters there are much colder and snowier than Philadelphia (or NYC, for that matter). DC is also only 3 hours away, and although the average temperatures are roughly the same, spring tends to come almost a month earlier down here than in Philly (and fall starts later). It's not the distance, it's the geography. Pittsburgh gets lake effect snow and, based on 24 years of anecdotal experience (yes, we have friends in Pitt too), gets more of it.

Is it like Miami v. Maine?? No, of course not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2009, 11:53 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
So? College Park is only 2.5 hours away, yet the winters there are much colder and snowier than Philadelphia (or NYC, for that matter). DC is also only 3 hours away, and although the average temperatures are roughly the same, spring tends to come almost a month earlier down here than in Philly (and fall starts later). It's not the distance, it's the geography. Pittsburgh gets lake effect snow and, based on 24 years of anecdotal experience (yes, we have friends in Pitt too), gets more of it.

Is it like Miami v. Maine?? No, of course not.
First I was comparing relatively close Big Cities....Not City vs. a Rual area to the North..Rual areas more north are always going to have colder and brutal winters.

My Point was in the NE winter is winter....Pittsburgh gets Lake affect Snows and Philly is hit by Nor'Easters neither one is any FUN!...what orrmobl is trying to suggest is that a Nor'East Doesnt happen often at all in Philly..and thats FALSE....Nor'Easters occur atleast twice a winter and both Pittsburgh and Philly get hit with Squalls all winter long.

Winter in PA, NY, VT, NH, MA, VA anywhere along the east coast...is Cold, Snowy and Miserable. Nit Pick the Statistics all you want "oh but the sun comes up an hour earlier in Philly" well Philly is further east where the sunrises. It means nothing.

This is my last word on this subject, we've come full circle.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:54 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Please this last winter both NYC and Philly were clobbered with Nor'Easters something tends to miss Pittsburgh alot....
this is a blatant lie and sadly awesomo also engaged in it. the largest storm the city of Philadelphia had was maybe 4 inches. Moreover, we don't get the same wweather as NYC all the time. Philadelphia is at the far southeastern corner of the state and consequently, it frequently misses storms that hit places like allentown and go on to NYC.

Is Philly Florida? no, but it's fairly mild if you've ever lived in places like boston, Buffalo, or MI.

If there's one thing you can say about Philly winters it's that you can't generalize. All seasons in Philly vary form year to year. that said, I can count on one hand the number of storms measured in feet in Philly since 1988. According to the stats posted, Phjilly gets slightly more sun and the average January temperature is four degrees higher. Is it the carribean/ no, but it's slighlty milder than Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh is, on average, 3 degrees cooler in July and August indicating it has slighlty milder summers. I think your hatred of Philly is blinding you to the truth. can someone remind me what this thread is supposed to be about?
oh right, can you live in Philly, go to temple, and not get shot. absolutely.

Old 04-30-2009, 12:56 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Winter in PA, NY, VT, NH, MA, VA anywhere along the east coast...is Cold, Snowy and Miserable. Nit Pick the Statistics all you want "oh but the sun comes up an hour earlier in Philly" well Philly is further east where the sunrises. It means nothing.

This is my last word on this subject, we've come full circle.
no, winters are most certainly not the same in PA as they are in MA or NH.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:52 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,211,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
no, winters are most certainly not the same in PA as they are in MA or NH.
Yeah, I transferred back home after going to college in Boston. MUCH colder and snowier. No thanks.

Philly winters are far from 'miserable'. Do I like them? Not really. Would I rather a typical New England winter? God no.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:03 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,343,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudpainting View Post
I have a tough decision to make. Temple wants a decision soon...currently I'm in Pittsburgh. There's good and bad here. I like the area, the low COL, good food. HATE the winter.

But I have the option of moving to Philadelphia.

One of my hang-ups is the rep. for violence, but beyond that, finding an apartment right now, which isn't the most optimal time.

I also like to bicycle commute and it is very important to me. Recommended neighborhoods? Also, I prefer to live in apartment buildings
Great school and a great Law School. You can live nearby with few problems. Try staying off the small streets with your bike and you'll be fine.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:45 PM

22 posts, read 57,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Yeah, I transferred back home after going to college in Boston. MUCH colder and snowier. No thanks.

Philly winters are far from 'miserable'. Do I like them? Not really. Would I rather a typical New England winter? God no.
are they as cloudy? cloud cover is the real problem.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 1,195 times
Getting back to the original issue at hand, my cousin graduated from Temple and said that he really liked it there. I've lived here for a year now, and I love my Philly steak and cheese, not that that should be a legitimate reason for you to make the move. Seriously though, if you're looking for an apartment, I have a couple of friends that have been satisfied with the apartments they found using a couple of different websites: [url=http://www.4walls.us]Apartments for Rent - Apartment Rentals - Furnished Apartments - Housing[/url] and [url=http://www.apartmentguide.com]Apartments for Rent and Rentals - Free Apartment Finder | ApartmentGuide.com[/url] . Using one of those could get you started, but I don't know about finding a place for as cheap as you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia