Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 11:18 PM

104 posts, read 130,683 times

Advertisements

I grew up and spent a good portion of my life in Philly and live there now. That being said, I'd never live in Kensington. I'm 52 and as far back as I can remember, it wasn't a safe neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 11:25 PM

Default mayfair/tacony

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Frank, you are mistaken. The gentrification spreads out from Center City. It is possible in 20 years that Kensington will be looking better and better, while Mayfair/Tacony will be slums.
Parts of mayfair were becoming slums when I moved out in 2001. Don't count on a neighborhood being white as being safe. My family lives in pennsport and there are many professional people of color that I'd rather have as a neighbor than some of the white people that lives near me in Bridesburg.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-01-2013 at 07:45 AM..

Old 01-31-2013, 11:40 PM

My family bought their house in South Philly (pennsport) for 11,000 in the early 70's. My Mom still lives there and the properties around her start at 300,000 and up (way up!) When I got divorced in 2001, I rented in South Philly for a few years. Couldn't afford a house in the neighborhood I grew up in(for a tiny, tiny row house). Ended up buying a much bigger house in Bridesburg for about half the price and the rumors that the river area would be expanding and the area would gentrify. Been here 5 years, still haven't done anything about expanding the Penns Landing area up here and no sign of things gentrifying. It takes too long to get to work in CC via public from Bridesburg(5 miles away and 45 mins to an hour via Septa) and because of foreclosures and people from worse area's moving in, our property values keep dropping and I'm stuck here now until I can at least get back what I owe which is not that much. Wish I had waited a few years before making the move. Noticing more drug activity and domestic violence here everyday. I know some people love this neighborhood, but as an outsider I'm watching things get worse as the old people die off and get replaced by less than desirable neighbors(and yes, they are white, but ... druggies)

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-01-2013 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: watch the stereotypes

Old 02-01-2013, 12:06 AM

Default Bridesburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybud View Post
I am a lifelong Philadelphian with most of my family that lived or still live in Kensington (Front and Coral, Frankford and Cambria) and I can say I drive home up Front and Kensington Avenue every day on my way home from work and it really is something to see. People of all colors high as a kite, dirty, drug dealers and hookers all over the place. It looks like the walking dead all over the place. Most of the stores close up around 5 pm. The houses and streets are trashy, dirty, and some looked bombed out. I have friends from Scranton who visit every few years and I make it a point to take them down on a drive under the El to see how some people live. And to say that they are amazed is an understatement. I also lived in Tacony (Torresdale and Longshore) and some of that immediate area is cracked out, as well as the area around Bridge and Pratt. Drugs have destroyed major parts of this city. I am sure that this is the same way in lots of other big cities. I live in Bridesburg now and this small enclave is still predominantly white and nice...no drug corners, addicts walking around or prostitiutes. Good luck on your move!
Not sure where you live, but we've had 3 OD deaths on my block in the last year, not to mention the dealing going on right out in public near Rite Aid, Wawa and Renzi's. That's not even counting the number of times police have been on my street to break up domestic disputes. No prostitutes that I have seen but drugs are rampant in my area.

Last edited by boxercrew4; 02-01-2013 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM

4 posts, read 9,766 times
What neighborhoods, zips, directions are safe(r)?

Old 02-02-2013, 02:10 PM

289 posts, read 338,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxercrew4 View Post
Not sure where you live, but we've had 3 OD deaths on my block in the last year, not to mention the dealing going on right out in public near Rite Aid, Wawa and Renzi's. That's not even counting the number of times police have been on my street to break up domestic disputes. No prostitutes that I have seen but drugs are rampant in my area.
OHHHH, domestic disputes - the horror! I'm sure THAT never happens in your precious South Philly ...
Are there drugs in Bridesburg? Sure. But it's not "rampant" and there isn't "open air" drug corners, knock it off already. Aren't there drugs in every neighborhood?
Have you ever felt uncomfortable walking around your neighborhood? It's safe, safer than most. I love how people who are unhappy with their lot in life try to blame everybody and everything around them. It's sad, really.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BridgetHussein View Post
What neighborhoods, zips, directions are safe(r)?
Bridesburg is as safe and as quiet as it gets. 19137, the east side of Aramingo.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:17 PM

Quote:
My family bought their house in South Philly (pennsport) for 11,000 in the early 70's. My Mom still lives there and the properties around her start at 300,000 and up (way up!) When I got divorced in 2001, I rented in South Philly for a few years. Couldn't afford a house in the neighborhood I grew up in(for a tiny, tiny row house). Ended up buying a much bigger house in Bridesburg for about half the price and the rumors that the river area would be expanding and the area would gentrify. Been here 5 years, still haven't done anything about expanding the Penns Landing area up here and no sign of things gentrifying. It takes too long to get to work in CC via public from Bridesburg(5 miles away and 45 mins to an hour via Septa) and because of foreclosures and people from worse area's moving in, our property values keep dropping and I'm stuck here now until I can at least get back what I owe which is not that much. Wish I had waited a few years before making the move. Noticing more drug activity and domestic violence here everyday. I know some people love this neighborhood, but as an outsider I'm watching things get worse as the old people die off and get replaced by less than desirable neighbors(and yes, they are white, but ... druggies)
Some people are just alarmists and like to wallow in self-pity. Funny, EVERY single one of my new neighbors are young, nice, clean and have the homes they bought from the "old people dying off" looking better than ever. Bridesburg is great, you should try to appreciate it instead of dwelling on the very few negatives. And haven't most neighborhoods values went down some since the housing collapse? You bought at the height of the market, that's unfortunate for you. Nobody promised you Mayberry when you moved here ...

Old 02-02-2013, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Parts of mayfair were becoming slums when I moved out in 2001. Don't count on a neighborhood being white as being safe. My family lives in pennsport and there are many professional people of color that I'd rather have as a neighbor than some of the white people that lives near me in Bridesburg.
You and your husband, Truth11 are well known on your street as being angry and unapproachable ... so stop blaming your unhappiness on Bridesburg and stop spreading your lies to somehow "get back" at the neighborhood.
And where are these "slums" of Mayfair? lol BTW, Bridesburg IS white and it is safe.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:28 PM

208 posts, read 545,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rraC ynnaD View Post
Are there drugs in Bridesburg? Sure. But it's not "rampant" and there isn't "open air" drug corners, knock it off already. Aren't there drugs in every neighborhood?
This is not necessarily directed at you, but I've never seen this many "but there is X in every neighborhood/city" comebacks on any other forum.

I sure as hell hope there is NO heroin (I assume the ODs were junkies) at least in some Philly neighborhoods...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia