Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2009, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 14,316 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am wondering how safe the area around 30th street station is at night. I have a friend who may be traveling on the bolt bus (stops on 30th street between market and chestnut) and will need to walk to 30th street station to take a SEPTA train to her final destination. People have told me that Philadelphia is not safe at night, and I am very concerned for her safety. Also, she'll be making this trip alone. If the area is dangerous at night, at what time does it become so? As in, what time of night would you never want to be in that area after? Please help? I am extremely concerned for her safety.

Last edited by Muzicman94; 08-27-2009 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 01:56 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzicman94 View Post
Hello. I am wondering how safe the area around 30th street station is at night. I have a friend who may be traveling on the bolt bus (stops on 30th street between market and chestnut) and will need to walk to 30th street station to take a SEPTA train to her final destination. People have told me that Philadelphia is not safe at night, and I am very concerned for her safety. Also, she'll be making this trip alone. If the area is dangerous at night, at what time does it become so? As in, what time of night would you never want to be in that area after? Please help? I am extremely concerned for her safety.
Your friend should be fine. Not sure where exactly the Bolt Bus lets off but if it's on the Chestnut Street side, she will pass by the huge main Post Office Building to her right. It will be a one-block walk to 30th Street Station. She'll probably be walking with several people making their way to either the train station or the underground El stop.

30th Street Station itself is a hub for AMTRAK as well as the local SEPTA system. It is well-lit and patrolled and she should feel comfortable there.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:20 PM

360 posts, read 992,810 times
Tone is correct in his assumptions. The Bolt Bus drop-off is essentially across the street from the 30th St Station. There will be a lot of people getting off the bus, some being picked up there, but quite a few will be walking to the train station or the subway stop. I wouldn't be concerned. I've done it at 11 pm on Sunday night and felt completely safe.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
I've come back as late as 1 am on Monday night and never had any issues. bolt bus drops you off just south of market. there's a bar on the corner of 30th and market and that's where people wait for the shuttle bus at night (for the el). it's all pretty well lit and the station is active until pretty late at night.

Old 08-27-2009, 07:42 PM

596 posts, read 1,706,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzicman94 View Post
People have told me that Philadelphia is not safe at night, and I am very concerned for her safety.
She'll be fine and thank goodness there is safety in numbers, as that area has a number of folks trying to get home alive from 30th Street Station nightly. As a city dweller, I can relate as I sprint home from the subway... pepper spray at hand, praying I might make it home just one more time, where I bolt the door and hunker down, until the relative safety of the next day. Hopefully I've helped reinforce every far flung suburbanite's worst unfound fears.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:49 AM

418 posts, read 1,348,831 times
.. I would suggest they find some people on the bus to help get to the train as it is very likely someone will be going the same route ..
having an air of confidence is the best way to travel ..
they say dogs can smell fear ..
as you are on line ..
check out maps all needed routes of travel between the bus and train and send the links to this person ...
they can print it out and have it handy in the bus and after ..
Be prepared is the motto

Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,341,349 times
I've been in the 30th Street Station late at night and I never felt threatened. Again, like others have said, have your friend try to walk with others and just keep aware of her surroundings. There always seem to be a police presence in the area as well.

Your friend is fortunate to have someone looking out for her like you do.

Old 08-31-2009, 04:03 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,192 times
Just make sure you stay IN the station and with the crowd. I've heard stuff happen outside of the station a block away or so once in awhile, usually around 11 PM and up, but one time at 7 PM

Old 09-01-2009, 08:59 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
what's once in a while? I've never had a problem outside the station outside, I'd proceed with caution, but think chessimprov is a bit off base with the idea you can't leave the station

Old 09-02-2009, 08:39 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,678,192 times
About 4 times a year I would guess. I used to live near this area and read some of the police reports and hear things from students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia