Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:04 PM

134 posts, read 514,807 times

Advertisements

Still goofing around (slow day). Other fun things about Phoenix metro:

When a friend says that best time for golfing is when it is over 105 (prefer 110s) - less crowd and cheaper (in summer)
When you drive around town and see ostrich, llamas, cows, donkeys, horses.. without going to the farms/zoos
When you don't have to drive hundreds of miles or go to the botanic garden to see abundants of cactis including the majestic saguaros
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 05:52 PM

197 posts, read 393,240 times
A $10 an hour call center position is considered a good find.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:14 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,705,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnYourSide View Post
A $10 an hour call center position is considered a good find.
i lol'ed at this.

Excited that it's RAINING!!! FINALLY!!!

Old 07-29-2010, 08:22 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,171,069 times
This is the view from your back yard........

Love it! I'm a lucky girl

Old 07-29-2010, 10:33 AM
RCR

264 posts, read 910,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Please give you proof hu? Why should I have to? Hang out in the valley in March or October then jet up to flag the same day and watch a hail storm or a mild snow roll through.....it's not really that crazy, it happens.
Sorry, there is not going to be a 70 degree difference in temps and besides, Flag is more than an hours drive.....

Old 07-29-2010, 10:45 AM

177 posts, read 432,445 times
About the topic of being in snow, and then driving an hour, and being in 100 degrees, it is quite possible in other areas of the world. But here, it is not likely. You may have to get 15 feet of snow on mt lemmon in late april or early may to be able to drive from 100 degrees to snow in less than an hour. But in more than an hour, it is very possible. Look at places like flagtsaff, who got so much snow this winter it did not completeley melt until like mid may-and then you could have gone up onto the sf peaks and been in snow, and then drive here and it would be 100. Same thing with Grand Canyon, there, a phenomenon occurs where the north rim, at 9000 feet in elevation, could recieve over 12 feet of snow in a few weeks like they did this past winter, and it didnt all completley melt until mid june, way past the inner grand canyons first 100 degree mark. It was war on the rim, the snow was melting quickly, but it was there. And you cant drive out of the canyon, but if you could, it would be less than an hour. Also, the memorial day snowstorm of 2008 i believe, dumped 2 feet of snow on Flagtsaff and Munds Park. That was memorial day, and Phoenix's average first 100 degree day is may second. It may not have been 100 degrees that day, but again, it is possible. Lets get back to the original thread here now, ok?

Old 07-29-2010, 12:46 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,313,842 times
you guys crack me up! this is too funny!

Old 07-29-2010, 12:56 PM

1,034 posts, read 4,394,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel NC View Post
About the topic of being in snow, and then driving an hour, and being in 100 degrees, it is quite possible in other areas of the world. But here, it is not likely. You may have to get 15 feet of snow on mt lemmon in late april or early may to be able to drive from 100 degrees to snow in less than an hour. But in more than an hour, it is very possible. Look at places like flagtsaff, who got so much snow this winter it did not completeley melt until like mid may-and then you could have gone up onto the sf peaks and been in snow, and then drive here and it would be 100. Same thing with Grand Canyon, there, a phenomenon occurs where the north rim, at 9000 feet in elevation, could recieve over 12 feet of snow in a few weeks like they did this past winter, and it didnt all completley melt until mid june, way past the inner grand canyons first 100 degree mark. It was war on the rim, the snow was melting quickly, but it was there. And you cant drive out of the canyon, but if you could, it would be less than an hour. Also, the memorial day snowstorm of 2008 i believe, dumped 2 feet of snow on Flagtsaff and Munds Park. That was memorial day, and Phoenix's average first 100 degree day is may second. It may not have been 100 degrees that day, but again, it is possible. Lets get back to the original thread here now, ok?
On the topic of weather, last Friday showed me serious wild temperature extremes in Arizona.

I started off in Goodyear on Friday, late morning and it was 101. By the time we got to Camp Verde, it was pouring rain and 61 degrees. It was around 65 through Flag but once we got to Holbrook it was 92 and sunny. Five miles east of Holbrook it was back down to 66 and raining again.

My "you know you're in Phoenix" input is....

You know you live in Phoenix when you restock your flip flop supply each spring. My flip flops don't last very long between the heat, the blacktop everywhere, and getting gravel and mesquite thorns up through the bottom of them on a regular basis.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 PM

197 posts, read 393,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjan1225 View Post
On the topic of weather, last Friday showed me serious wild temperature extremes in Arizona.

I started off in Goodyear on Friday, late morning and it was 101. By the time we got to Camp Verde, it was pouring rain and 61 degrees. It was around 65 through Flag but once we got to Holbrook it was 92 and sunny. Five miles east of Holbrook it was back down to 66 and raining again.

My "you know you're in Phoenix" input is....

You know you live in Phoenix when you restock your flip flop supply each spring. My flip flops don't last very long between the heat, the blacktop everywhere, and getting gravel and mesquite thorns up through the bottom of them on a regular basis.
There are a lot of extremes in the state as you were saying. Natural, as well as artifically created by blacktop and concrete phenomenon too.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:40 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,171,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCR View Post
Sorry, there is not going to be a 70 degree difference in temps and besides, Flag is more than an hours drive.....
Whatever floats your boat It happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area