Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 06:37 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlegurl View Post
Every time you turn around someone on the street asks you for a cigarette. I feel like the only non-smoker in Phoenix.
That makes sense if you are someone who enjoys standing outside in parking lots or empty desert because the actual stores, restaurants, bars and public domains ban smoking.

Anyway..my contribution

You know you're in Phoenix when the people who complain about this city have been doing so for the last 10 years and can't leave for "unspecified" reasons (aka the ones who hate Phoenix so much they are still here!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:06 PM

932 posts, read 1,965,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel NC View Post
You know your in Phoenix when we have gotten our entire years worth of rain in less than two weeks, 4 days during the week of jan 21st 2010, when we got 5 inches of rain, and the past 4 days we got 2 1/2, and it hasnt rained any other day.
Well it did rain almost the entire month of February and it rained for much of the beginning of March.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:41 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,317,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phxguy View Post
Well it did rain almost the entire month of February and it rained for much of the beginning of March.
LOL...there you go with those pesky things called facts. It's much more fun to exaggerate and lie about how it only rained during two times of the year

Old 08-02-2010, 11:38 PM

932 posts, read 1,965,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
LOL...there you go with those pesky things called facts. It's much more fun to exaggerate and lie about how it only rained during two times of the year
Ture true haha

Old 08-03-2010, 07:59 AM

1,128 posts, read 1,646,974 times
You know your in Phoenix when we get a downpour and instead of running for cover you see people run outside and rejoice!

You tell your relatives back East "It's only 100 degrees today" and they think your crazy.

You learn the correct pronunciation of tortilla is actually with a "y" sound.

Instead of pop, it's called "soda".

The most popular names are Juan and Maria . Instead of John and Mary.
(Seriously, over the years I'va had at least 10 friends names Maria, and known lots of Juans as well!

Last edited by phoenixscorpiogirl; 08-03-2010 at 08:00 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-03-2010, 09:45 AM

177 posts, read 432,538 times
Quote:
I know. it was an exxageration. But out here in peoria, it really never rained any other time, and the majority of our rainfall came in January and late july! I love the rain!

Old 08-03-2010, 09:48 AM

177 posts, read 432,538 times
You know your in Phoenix when its 100 degrees out, a storm rolls in, and it starts hailing! True story! it did this on July 29th! I checked my thermometer, it read 98, and then it started hailing immediatelt after I checked! Crazy stufff! (The hail was marble sized too)

Old 08-03-2010, 11:02 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,921,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixscorpiogirl View Post
You know your in Phoenix when we get a downpour and instead of running for cover you see people run outside and rejoice!

You tell your relatives back East "It's only 100 degrees today" and they think your crazy.

You learn the correct pronunciation of tortilla is actually with a "y" sound.

Instead of pop, it's called "soda".

The most popular names are Juan and Maria . Instead of John and Mary.
(Seriously, over the years I'va had at least 10 friends names Maria, and known lots of Juans as well!
All of those are funny AND true! lol I see the first one up here a lot. People get SO excited when it storms and rains so I guess I'm not the only one who loves the Monsoons!

The third one is funny too. I get a big kick out of people from other parts of the country trying to pronounce the Spanish things here. I had an employer once who came here from CT and she pronounced enchiladas as "incheelahdies". Working in a Mexican restaurant can be a riot!

Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,921,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel NC View Post
You know your in Phoenix when its 100 degrees out, a storm rolls in, and it starts hailing! True story! it did this on July 29th! I checked my thermometer, it read 98, and then it started hailing immediatelt after I checked! Crazy stufff! (The hail was marble sized too)
You can always expect the unexpected in AZ. One of the things I love about it!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:23 PM
RCR

264 posts, read 910,358 times
Quote:
You know when your in Phoenix when...
you can pronounce Ojo Rojo, Tucson, Ahwatukee, Casa Grande, Hohokhuam(I think that's how you spell it), Rio Salado, Gila Bend
Let's not forget Canyon de Chelly...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area