Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 06:30 PM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times

Advertisements

Major outages in the valley usually occur during the 'monsoon' season. Other times outages are caused by someone hitting a utility pole and that only effects that local area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 06:35 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
This is for Surprise AZ ( about 30 min. from Phoenix downtown. It's the same for most cities in and around Phx. These are tips for help in blackouts from monsoons or rollingblackouts caused purposely by the electric company when demand can exceed supply. Which we do have here in Arizona! While we have plenty of stations here, a lot of the power they generate goes to other states. It's not that bad though, just part of this heat I guess. They usually only last about an hour or two and exclude Hospitals and large commercial buildings. Hope this helps!Official Website - Surprise, Arizona (http://www.surpriseaz.com/index.asp?NID=429#RollingBlackouts - broken link)
Balonley!!! I have lived here for 35 years and have NEVER heard of a rolling blackout affecting residential users owing to excessive demand. Maybe you can provide an example. Some industrial users accept cutbacks in service in return for lower rates -that is not the same thing.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:43 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,958,982 times
Quote:
I have only experienced 4 outages in the last 12 yrs. 3 due to storms, one a car ran into something like a transformer. I live in Chandler. My Mother gets more, she lives in North Phx. The storms seem to hit harder out there and in Mesa. Not enough to worry about.
My mother lives in Mesa off of Val Vista and University, everytime she gets a storm she loses power. I lived in Gilbert off of Power and Guadalupe all we ever got was a tail or a brushing of a storm ans she always got the worst of it and we were only about 6 miles apart. We've never lost power in that house. Glendale was a whoe different story

Old 06-26-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Balonley!!! I have lived here for 35 years and have NEVER heard of a rolling blackout affecting residential users owing to excessive demand. Maybe you can provide an example. Some industrial users accept cutbacks in service in return for lower rates -that is not the same thing.
Didn't some areas have a rolling black out a few years ago. I remember some about that. I think it was one season.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
There are two utility companies in Arizona, Salt River Project and Arizona Public Service. For some reason, power outages, although rare, seem to occur more often with APS customers. I'm with SRP and the only time power outages occur, as twiggy mentioned, is when somebody runs into a transformer or when lightning hits them, or exposed power lines.

Also, all newer areas have utility lines burried underground, so you won't see those old ugly power lines and wooden poles.
City of Mesa has an electric company also.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Didn't some areas have a rolling black out a few years ago. I remember some about that. I think it was one season.
There was a case where a substation transformer went out and there was a threat of rolling blackouts. They were on the radio asking people to cut back, conserve etc and to my recollection, the blackouts were never needed. I remember they had to bring some huge piece of equipment from California or somewhere. Maybe that is what you are thinking of. But, as a rule, a very good rule, the utilities here have done a good job of keeping up with exploding demand.

Also, in the late 1980/early 90s, there were a lot of concerns about power problems. Houses built then in APS areas had to have demand controllers on them.

Old 06-26-2007, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
There are two utility companies in Arizona, Salt River Project and Arizona Public Service. For some reason, power outages, although rare, seem to occur more often with APS customers. I'm with SRP and the only time power outages occur, as twiggy mentioned, is when somebody runs into a transformer or when lightning hits them, or exposed power lines.

Also, all newer areas have utility lines burried underground, so you won't see those old ugly power lines and wooden poles.
You mean in Phoenix? Because there are many utilities in Arizona. There's TRICO and Tucson Electric too, and about a dozen coops like Sulphur Springs in the Sierra Vista area.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:08 PM

That's the event I was talking about where the sub-station was knocked out. It was a couple years ago.

EDIT: I checked. The fire was on July 4, 2004.

Old 06-26-2007, 09:51 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
A sample from the Surprise website I used in the post your responding to! Maybe SRP is full of "Baloney".
Source: Salt River Project

ROLLING BLACKOUTS

The Valley can be susceptible to shortages of electricity during the summer months when demand can exceed supply. A Rolling Blackout occurs when a power company turns off electricity to selected areas to save power. The areas are selected using sophisticated computer programs and models.

The blackouts are typically for one hour, then the power is restored and another area is turned off. Hospitals, airport control towers, police stations, and fire departments are often exempt from these rolling blackouts.

These blackouts usually occur during peak energy usage times, but they can happen at any time of day. Blackouts may affect the same area more than once a day, and may exceed an hour’s duration.

This info is on almost every cities website, even on Wickenburgs!
Wickenburg AZ - Official Website-read it this time, I know you have a computer, and why so hostle, aren't you a moderator?
It's no secret and it's no big deal! Every major city does this to conserve and it saves us money honey!
As a matter of fact we have already had some this year and you didn't even know. If you come home from work and your clocks blinkin or the time is off than you had one. oh my, this ain't Kansas anymore!

Last edited by twiggy; 06-26-2007 at 09:59 PM..

Old 06-26-2007, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Source: Salt River Project

ROLLING BLACKOUTS

The Valley can be susceptible to shortages of electricity during the summer months when demand can exceed supply. A Rolling Blackout occurs when a power company turns off electricity to selected areas to save power. The areas are selected using sophisticated computer programs and models.

The blackouts are typically for one hour, then the power is restored and another area is turned off. Hospitals, airport control towers, police stations, and fire departments are often exempt from these rolling blackouts.

These blackouts usually occur during peak energy usage times, but they can happen at any time of day. Blackouts may affect the same area more than once a day, and may exceed an hour’s duration.

This info is on almost every cities website, even on Wickenburgs!
Wickenburg AZ - Official Website
It's no secret and it's no big deal! Every major city does this to conserve and it saves us money honey!
As a matter of fact we have already had some this year and you didn't even know. If you come home from work and your clocks blinkin or the time is off than you had one. oh my, this ain't Kansas anymore!
I repeat. Give me one example of when this has occurred. You are quoting from brochures about how such and such CAN happen. Of course, it can. When DID it happen? Dates, times, reasons?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area