Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 11:02 PM

278 posts, read 622,857 times

Advertisements

How much would I expect to spend on water bills for a pool and is it worth it to buy a home with a pool? If I were to buy in a neighborhood with free community pools is it worth having our own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
You're going to hear responses all over the map on this one, as others have in similar threads. The water bill is really the smallest issue. The other issues of upkeep, safety, and whether, after the novelty wears off, you will really use it enough are all things to think about. My next door neighbors have a pool that one of their predecessors put in many years ago; of all the families that have lived there, only one has made much use of it. You may want your own, you may find that, if not a community pool, neighbors you make friends with who have one offer enough pool access for you.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:24 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
I have a pool in MN and I "think" I want one in AZ. I swam in ours a total of 15 times since 2003 when we put it in. My wife wanted one.... No, she demanded one because I refused to put one in for three years. If you ask any pool company, typically it is a female driven purchase. Saying that, I LOVE the look of one in the back yard when it is done right. So for me, it's all about cosmetics and a great place to have a cocktail.

One of the most expensive cost can be the electricity and here is the math. 1 KWH (kilo watt hour) of electricity is about $11 cents. A typical 1 horse power pump consumers about 750 watts and I think that would be a typical pump on a smaller pool. So working the math, it costs about $.0825 (8 cents) an hour. That works out to be $722 a year in electricity! They make devices that can cycle the pump but the pool "experts" say this is a high risk of "losing control of your pool chemistry.

But since last year, Pentair has come out with a variable speed pump (see Pentair Water Pool and Spa >> Pool Owners >> Products >> Pumps ) that cuts the cost of electricity by up to 90%! I've observed the readings with an AC clamp. It's the real deal and as far as I know they are the only company that has these (2010 release). As important, it is extremely quiet (most pumps are loud). I'd replace mine but I'm two years from moving and in MN, and we only run it for 6 months. But for all AZ pool owners, the payoff is extremely quick. If you own a pool, you should really look into it. The payoff is a little over 1.5 years in AZ (assuming a replacement).

Next up is chemicals. I buy whatever chemicals I can at Costco. It seems that you always need something to keep the chemistry in check. Many products that are sold at a pool store are really common items that can be found a lot cheaper (Baking soda, Baking powder, bottles of bleach for shock etc). But figure $35 a month or $380 per year. A pool service company can get pretty spendy and I am sure it's a lot cheaper in AZ than in MN.

It seems you have at least one thing that needs to be fixed per year. A friend told me "budget $1000 a year for a major thing to go wrong (on average). Pools with Chlorine are hard on heaters, pumps, and fittings take a beating. Automatic pool cleaners seem to need repair every so often and hoses seem to crack because of the chlorine (over time). That $1000 a year should take care of all the extras.

Lastly we have heat. From what I heard, that can get pretty expensive in the winter time in AZ. I don't know how much it is in AZ.

In summary, a pool costs $1800 to $2500 a year being frugal. I think I just talked myself out of getting one again. But my wife will surely want one.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:31 AM

102 posts, read 230,025 times
We have a pool in Illinois that is only used from May-Sept, and when we finally move to Arizona within the next few years, a pool is a must. No crowds and cleanliness make it worth the cost. I have also read in the Chicago papers recently that the majority of public pools aren't very sanitary.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:59 AM

There's a difference between a "public pool" and a "community pool" which is limited in use to those within the HOA of a particular development, which is what the OP is talking about. The HOA pays for a pool service to maintain it.

MN--lots of good information - interesting about those new pumps. As far as heating, relatively few people heat their pools here, as it can get pretty expensive. For those who have pools so they can enjoy them in the hot weather, heating one in the winter just doesn't seem worth it. Some who want them for year round exercise, etc., do heat them and use covers to help keep the water warm.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:43 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,829,904 times
MN-Born-n-Raised above totally nailed it. Awesome job on the breakdown of expenses.

Nobody can answer whether a pool is worth it to you, but you. For us it's a no-brainer, pool all the way. We use it several times a week during the summer. Of course it helps that we have kids. It has an integrated spa, and we use that year-round. There's nothing like unwinding after the kids are in bed with a glass of wine, and looking up at the stars. Swimming at night in the summer is a real treat, clothing optional of course.

Like MN alluded to, the pool becomes a focal point of your yard. It's eye candy. It's a great place to entertain. Even just eating dinner next to it feels like you're on vacation. A public/community pool shares none of the advantages I mentioned above. Really the only thing you're going to do in a community pool is get wet, during what ever hours they're open. Even as much as we use our pool, it's difficult to justify from a purely economic basis. It's a really an extravagance if you've got the budget for it. We wouldn't be without ours.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:45 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times
Had one all my life, then moved somewhere without one and made it for 2 years, summer was hell without it. Now I have one again!
It's sort of our "fireplace".
It's wonderful on a really hot day, and if the ac goes out then you don't have to sweat your arse off until it's fixed, I'd get the pool.
It would be the same answer for a "fireplace" in the North East. Do I want a fireplace in MA? Well, you do if the heat goes out, or on a really cold day they make a big difference.
See what I mean?

I won't ever go without one again.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times
We have both, a community pool and our own pool in the backyard. We used the community pool while our pool was being built and quit going as it was such a pain in the ass dealing with the crowds, kids, even the inconsiderate adults that throw balls across the pool hitting you in the head while you're trying to relax. We would not use the community pool even if we didn't have our own as it was not enjoyable.

Our pool does cost money and does take work to maintain but feel that it helps make the Arizona summers bearable and don't know how people can manage the heat without them. We use ours year round (only swim Apr-Oct) and enjoy cocktails by the pool in the winter months.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:14 AM

A fireplace is absolutely free if you don't use it. A pool costs the same whether you use it or not. That's what makes it more of an extravagance.

It's hard to decide whether it will be worth it for you ahead of time. If you REALLY like a house, and it doesn't have a pool, that to me would not be a dealbreaker. But for someone else it might be.

Community pools will vary from neighborhood to neighborhood. I drive by some in the summer that are not being used at all, but others can be as described. I think the issue boils down to whether you want to take on your own or not. I've had pools at two of the four houses I've lived in. Haven't had one for 25 years. Sometimes I'd like to go take a dip, but it's not worth the bother of 365 days a year maintenance. As you've already seen here, others feel differently.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:25 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Love the pool and it's not much work. Vacuum it 1/week or every other week, put in the chemicals, check the water, blah, blah. With weather like here in Zonie land, it's worth every dollar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area