Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,081,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariomoricone View Post
Twiggy thank you for your reply, i will check out the site you gave me also.

Again thank you
No problem, I understand I too am waiting to go somewhere but the recession is making me wait until there is a little more security in it, along with a few other issues.
But, that said, you don't want to stomp out your dreams either. Maybe just put it off for another year or two, or try and find a job from where you are at before you move. Some people get lucky that way, that would be nice.

Old 10-28-2010, 06:58 PM

523 posts, read 937,489 times
ladysovereign,

For many in the area, it is unfortunately that many HAVE to leave because of the difficult job market in the Phoenix area. Humans can be rational economic actors in this regard.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:42 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Yes, I think it was 4 or 5 that touched down. Derailed a train, and did damage all the way up through AZ to Williams and Flagstaff. There is a thread on here about it, search it. I believe there is pictures of some damage. The hail was more damaging in Phoenix, put some roofs out and damaged a lot of cars . Not a common thing out here for sure but we do get them now and again. It was on CNN for a day or two, I'm surprised you didn't here about it.
(snips)
It's not like we are in tornado alley or anything though. I wouldn't "not move" here because of it, although some people are predicting we will start getting more now because of climate change I gather. But, it was an exciting day for some people, I felt bad for those who suffered damage, what a pain in the butt!
Cool links! I heard about all the hail damage in Scottsdale, etc. Wonder if anyone took advantage of the "Hail Sale".

Twiggy are you up North in Arizona? I think that's probably why I didn't hear much about it if most of it took place near Flagstaff, I'm guessing. And because I was working extra hours this week and not doing much else.

Yeah, that Climate change thing is weird. That guy in the Hail video said he'd never seen anything like that before in Phoenix.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:44 PM

660 posts, read 1,397,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
ladysovereign,

For many in the area, it is unfortunately that many HAVE to leave because of the difficult job market in the Phoenix area. Humans can be rational economic actors in this regard.
Well, that was my reason for leaving (job market scarcity), but then I was living at my Aunt's place in Mesa for sometime and not very interested in doing call center work.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
Cool links! I heard about all the hail damage in Scottsdale, etc. Wonder if anyone took advantage of the "Hail Sale".

Twiggy are you up North in Arizona? I think that's probably why I didn't hear much about it if most of it took place near Flagstaff, I'm guessing. And because I was working extra hours this week and not doing much else.

Yeah, that Climate change thing is weird. That guy in the Hail video said he'd never seen anything like that before in Phoenix.
Actually no, I'm not but my brother is so when I heard about the first tornado at six in the morning I tried to warn everyone. I talk to a lot of people on here that live up there. I'm more use to them in the valley every once in a while than up north. That was strange to me, the monsoons sometimes bring little tornado's but I wasn't use to them going all the way up like that. Strange storm, and out of the ordinary for sure.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,198,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
She said accountant and the last accountant I saw was working at Walgreens as a cashier temporarily due to being fired during the recession. They aren't as fortunate, but a lot of people who are as fortunate as you can't give everyone else the green light on great jobs here
I never claimed to give everyone the green light, was just taking issue with your sweeping declaration that Phoenix has no jobs making more than $10/hour and if there is they are temporary. It simply isn't true.

I anecdote with my personal experience with software, you anecdote with the accountant, and we could continue for quite some time. The truth lies somewhere in the middle I suspect.

Phoenix certainly isn't some panacea to all high paid employment seekers but there are people hiring in the city (including accountants) in fact I think the biggest hit was construction since the slowdown in expansion and homebuilding took a huge tool on that industry.

We're in a recession like the rest of the country so jobs are harder to find, but any claim that there are no high paying jobs makes no sense and is easily proven false with a glance at monster.com.

Good luck everyone.

Old 10-28-2010, 10:51 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,699,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
We're in a recession like the rest of the country so jobs are harder to find, but any claim that there are no high paying jobs makes no sense and is easily proven false with a glance at monster.com.

Good luck everyone.
I'll agree to that. There are actually a lot of high paying jobs. Ranges of 70k to 120K, 250K+ in bay area California, for programmers. The thing with that is those is the years of experience they require

If I had my "tech" certifications already I doubt I would get a job. I look on monster and indeed, and I don't see entry level security or entry level CCNA jobs. I have 10 years troubleshooting and fixing windows based computers and doing the grunt work of networking. But I feel the networking section of IT, outside of call centers, is very much saturated with new people, not experienced. The experience I have will not help me land a "networking" job.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I never claimed to give everyone the green light, was just taking issue with your sweeping declaration that Phoenix has no jobs making more than $10/hour and if there is they are temporary. It simply isn't true.

I anecdote with my personal experience with software, you anecdote with the accountant, and we could continue for quite some time. The truth lies somewhere in the middle I suspect.

Phoenix certainly isn't some panacea to all high paid employment seekers but there are people hiring in the city (including accountants) in fact I think the biggest hit was construction since the slowdown in expansion and homebuilding took a huge tool on that industry.

Good luck everyone.
Yes, yes, I agree and didn't mean to give that impression but the article I posted said the most growth they expect to see in Phoenix in the job market would be for cashiers, lower paying jobs. It was in regards to that and the poster looking into accounting jobs. What kind of growth we could expect to see over the next 5 years, etc.
Otherwise I agree you can find some high paying jobs here. Depends on what you do, the lower paying jobs are the majority in Phoenix, thats all.
Could be untrue, thats just what I've been reading about, I'm sure I have missed some things out there, no doubt, but I wasn't exclaiming it to the cd world, just summarizing the article I posted.
The only personal experience I've had was with the accounting field. I know 2 accountants and they have both had to move into low paying service jobs because they can't find accounting work since the recession.
It would be great if some would chime in with better advice, I'm sure it would be appreciated!
But you get no argument here, I only read what most others read, I'm no expert for sure.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 4,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
The jobs in this city are a big reason I want to leave. Recession or not, Phoenix has a disproportionately large ratio of terrible jobs to decent jobs. I think there's entertainment to be found in Phoenix, but its uniqueness, diversity and quality is lacking compared to other places. For the 5th biggest city in America, cultural amenities are lackluster. Walkability is another quality I want out of a city, and there's virtually no place in this town for that type of lifestyle. And my definition would include being able to walk to a grocer, pharmacy, bar, restaurant, etc. Sidewalks in Phoenix seem to be just for decoration. I also just loathe the overwhelming suburban feel to Phoenix. Personally, I want to live somewhere with a much higher density because I feel more comfortable having lots of people around. Aesthetically speaking, I've been to cities and overheard tourists comment how beautiful that city is: Paris, London, Sydney, Rio de Janeiro... I have never heard that said about this city; no recognizable landmarks, a downtown fit for 40th largest city at best, the whole area more or less looks the same from one end to the other, very few historical buildings, lack of will to even try to do something groundbreaking and original... And enough about the climate here. I need more than just the sun to enjoy a city. Hellish heat half the year, mild temperatures San Diego enjoys more frequently the rest. The dust makes me feel every morning like I smoked a carton of cigarettes the night before, and I've developed a chronic cough since living here. It would be nice to have cloudy or rainy days more frequently, to watch it snow outside from a cozy room on a cold winter night, to see trees change color in the fall and notice the leaves grow back in the spring as you actually look forward to the summer months. And politically, this place is too militia-minded for me and Arizona constantly elects the most inept politicians. Case in point, the state legislature wasted time this year to pass a bill preventing animal-human hybrids in Arizona.

Beyond that, it really seems neither Phoenix, nor Arizona care to do anything to become anything better, economically, culturally, politically or whatever. It's like the Slacker State. As far as I know, Phoenix wants to wait out the economic situation to continue sprawl, while reports have shown that most cities are bucking that trend because the people's attitudes are changing. I'm pretty uptight about semantics and don't like that the words "community" and "neighborhood" are used so loosely in Phoenix. I have never been anywhere with less of a "community" feel than here, nor do the neighborhoods evoke any unique image or character; i.e. San Francisco's Mission District, Chinatown, Castro and Tenderloin. There is virtually no civic pride here. I like having the option of public transit, and it seems to just be a novelty in the Valley. While I understand why people don't want more taxes, Arizona has a relatively low tax burden in contrast to other states and it's just annoying to hear more of this and that getting cut rather than raising taxes. I think it's disgusting that recently Arizona so willingly cut programs for all those people in life-or-death situations who now cannot get treatment. Xenophobia runs rampant here and the vast majority of the Valley's population doesn't seem to be very worldly. There's so much more about this horrible, horrible place that makes me want to leave, but those are some of my reasons.
Phxgreenfire,

I could not agree with you more. I will say that it sounds like you are looking for more of an Urban environment as am I, however, I knew Phx was a sprawl when I moved here 4 months ago. I have a real dislike for moving back to the suburbs.

I will hands down agree with your comment about a "Slacker State." I have never ever seen more unfriendly people than in the city of Phoenix, specifically Ahwatukee. It truly chaps may ass when I hear people throw out the "neighborly" feel and "community" as well. I have seen more road rage in one week then ever in my life in a city. I see more accidents due to speeding. People have no regard for following the laws and quite frankly they have the worst "entitlement attitudes" that I have ever seen. There is nothing "community" about it. I have not met one neighbor in 4 months.

Conversely, when I moved to my first city/urban environment several years ago I thought i would lose they "neighborly" feel I once knew. I received the biggest welcome ever from the patrons and neighbors on the block then I ever dreamed about. I wish Phx had that same urban feel.

Oh, don't get me started on culture and arts. This is the biggest sports town ever, seems to be all they care about. and that is coming from someone who grew up on and loves sports. I have to drive my Daughter 30 min just to get to the closest school of ballet. All the schools in this area are more geared to cheer competition/dance competition style dance.

It is just disappointing. You know they call themselves "conservative" and they vote Republican, however, I can from a conservative minded state on the east coast and there is a big difference. There is a difference in conservative minded and just play stuck up. It is called "ENTITLEMENT" and I'm not quite sure what they are entitled to.

Okay, I'm done.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:36 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,518,103 times
Quote:
I will hands down agree with your comment about a "Slacker State." I have never ever seen more unfriendly people than in the city of Phoenix, specifically Ahwatukee. It truly chaps may ass when I hear people throw out the "neighborly" feel and "community" as well. I have seen more road rage in one week then ever in my life in a city. I see more accidents due to speeding. People have no regard for following the laws and quite frankly they have the worst "entitlement attitudes" that I have ever seen. There is nothing "community" about it. I have not met one neighbor in 4 months.
While I don't live in Ahwatukee, my experience has been completely different from this. I don't know if you had bad luck with where you live or if I've had good luck, but I don't think what you encountered applies to every neighborhood or community.

Quote:
It is just disappointing. You know they call themselves "conservative" and they vote Republican, however, I can from a conservative minded state on the east coast and there is a big difference. There is a difference in conservative minded and just play stuck up. It is called "ENTITLEMENT" and I'm not quite sure what they are entitled to.
I don't think it has anything to do with politics. Remember, Phoenix is slighlty more conservative than liberal, and somewhat libertarian. But there are folks here from all political views, so it's hard to say (without knowing the person) if they are conservative or liberal or whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area