Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:24 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,226,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Do you ever post about anything of a positive nature? Or do you expend all your energy on bemoaning life in a hell hole? I'm just curious. It might very well explain why you've had limited success in your plan to escape the big desert.
If I had anything positive to write about Phoenix, don't you think I would have said it? GreenNorthwestScott summed it up well in his response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Re-read the title of the thread. Phxgreenfire is on topic, yours is not.
Thank you! If negativity is wearing off on her... she shouldn't be reading this thread. Twiggy was straightforward in the topic and I'm glad there's a place to vent for people who don't like it here, because lords of the real estate cartel try to silence anything negative you have to say about Phoenix in the other threads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenNorthwestScott View Post
It all may sound like negativity but it's sad for many who currently live or still do work here (my case) to see the potential of this great state being flushed down the toilet over the bias and bigotry of some elected officials and their supporters.
Education and those with degrees are generally mocked in AZ, yet guns and those who sleep with one under the pillow are seen as rational?
AS to all things 1070: Demographics show that AZ cannot stay lily white no matter how hard it trys. Within 15 yrs the Latino/Hispanic population will outnumber all the white folks. Isn't it time for everyone to try to get along? There are some forces of nature that cannot be held back so why continue to try to derail the inevitable? JMO
And I couldn't agree with you more. I'm sure there are people nationwide who would move out of their cities if they had the chance, but because of economic circumstances they either a) (in my case) can't immediately find work in another state or b) don't have the means to leave. And too bad she didn't read that I used to love it here... then after moving back, Arizona leaders slapped the rose-colored glasses right off my face. I think Arizona had potential not that long ago, but based on things that have been done and things in the works, it's setting itself up to be the next Detroit. Yes, I do firmly believe that. Now, really think about this Kimballette: Arizona has been in a drought for a very long time, lake levels are dropping, aquifers are being depleted rapidly, the rains are too scarce and too scant to replenish it, and with the rampant "me first" attitude and spineless politicians to address/enact something highly unpopular, but absolutely necessary... where do you see Phoenix in 30 years when the most essential thing to keep it populated can't support a city with this many people? And back to GreenNorthwestScott's claim that it's sad to watch the state collapse... it really is! Arizona does the most shameful things, from that stupid light bulb manufacturing incentive just to defy the federal government to maintaining the plan to sprawl, sprawl, sprawl until the Sonoran Desert is a distant memory... even though the national trend in cities is to focus inward. And I also agree SB 1070 was wasteful: I understand its supporters interpret immigration as an invasion of their culture (consciously or subsconsciously). I've heard so many people complain they wish (for the most part) Spanish speakers would speak in English so they could understand what they're saying. Right... most anywhere I go I find myself generally uninterested in what people are saying to each other. And he's right about immigration just happening... and it's been happening for centuries, and arguably millennia. Immigration makes up a massive part of the identity of this entire side of the planet, from Alaska to Argentina.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:32 PM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,074,354 times
If I may opine. I have never understood people complaining about heat or lack of culture in Phoenix. Hopefully all of you that had moved to Phoenix knew this prior to coming, and yet still went there. If someone really hates rain, they won't move to Seattle, cold and snow, Minneapolis so on and so forth. Phoenix is just like any other city. It fits certain people, I think it fits far fewer people than are currently there. There is just something about Phoenix when people choose to move to the area, they throw reason out of the window. As though they are enchanted with the sun, pool and low cost of living, they forget to evaluate all those intangible qualities that make one's life happy.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:04 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,090,610 times
Yes, just a reminder, this thread is for people to explain, and vent the reason they are dissatisfied with Phoenix and would like to move out. I posted 2 threads so that both areas could be covered without conflicts. I will keep reminding people who moved here and like it or want to move here and would like to share why to post on the other thread.
I posted this to hear both sides of the coin, and just as I have tried to keep it civil on the other thread I would like to keep it civil on here as well.
You do have the freedom to try and convince those on this thread why they shouldn't feel, think or believe what they do but it is off topic, you are not invited to do so and I will point it out.
You also have the right to not read it, or post on it if you disagree.
There is plenty of space on the other thread to post positive things about Phoenix. Please address them on there.
Thanks, trying to allow people to discuss how they feel without getting called "Haters" or "Liars". I would like a place were those of us who are dissatisfied with the direction of Phoenix have a place to speak freely as you do on the other thread.
These issues are things some people here deal with, and don't care for. I believe none of them will detour those who want to come here or are here and like it. They have their own opinions, and are aware of most of the things we are discussing, they are public knowledge.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tolovefromANFIELD View Post
If I may opine. I have never understood people complaining about heat or lack of culture in Phoenix. Hopefully all of you that had moved to Phoenix knew this prior to coming, and yet still went there. If someone really hates rain, they won't move to Seattle, cold and snow, Minneapolis so on and so forth. Phoenix is just like any other city. It fits certain people, I think it fits far fewer people than are currently there. There is just something about Phoenix when people choose to move to the area, they throw reason out of the window. As though they are enchanted with the sun, pool and low cost of living, they forget to evaluate all those intangible qualities that make one's life happy.
Yes, it seems this way to me as well, some don't realize what living with these constraints means until they do it for a while. We all throw a little reason out the window when we move but things are changing here as well, it's not like it use to be.
I also think that people move here thinking they can take the heat and then can't. I know Seattle sounds wonderful to me after all this brown, sun and no rain but I might hate it after a couple of years even though it sounds so good to me right now. I wouldn't know until I tried, no one knows until they try.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:35 PM

? It's going to be in the 90's next week and it's the first week in Nov! This is another, not pressing, but reason I want to move. What are seasons actually like? I have no clue. lol

Old 10-30-2010, 11:40 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,652,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Yes, it seems this way to me as well, some don't realize what living with these constraints means until they do it for a while. We all throw a little reason out the window when we move but things are changing here as well, it's not like it use to be.
I also think that people move here thinking they can take the heat and then can't. I know Seattle sounds wonderful to me after all this brown, sun and no rain but I might hate it after a couple of years even though it sounds so good to me right now. I wouldn't know until I tried, no one knows until they try.
Hey Twiggy,
I'm going to get a little off topic but I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 22 years now and all I can say is DON"T DO IT. If you want to move to Seattle, you'll be sorry and it won't even take very long to feel that way.
Imagine it raining for 8 to 10 months a year, all day, all night, from September to May or June, EVERY YEAR. It doesn't rain like it does in Az. Here it is a constant heavy drizzle with bursts of rain with heavy storms but it is ALWAYS raining. Everything turns green from the mold, mildew and moss. Anything left outside will turn green in very short order. And I mean everything. Your cars, house, roofs, lawnmowers, exterior lights, anything outside.
Do yourself a favor and look into someplace that isn't so drenched. Spokane or Bend Oregon but whatever you do, don't put yourself thru a winter here. You'll regret it. It's not the cold, it's the wet that will get to your phsychie. It wears on you. Nothing but clouds and rain. It's very depressing.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:22 AM

919 posts, read 3,398,909 times
I generally liked Phoenix, lived there for 6-7 years, and was an active poster on this board. It simply wasn't the best fit for me, based on what I wanted out of life.

To me it had two main lifestyles... young and partying, or older/retiree living. Both are absolutely fine, but I'm circa 40 and between the two. We only live once and I decided to jump into a faster river. So I traded a tranquil lifestyle with lots of elbow room for a tougher, more crowded urban life. I got lucky and sold my place, and have been loving my new town... even though it's more crowded, aged, expensive and has the full range of weather. On the flip side, I sold my car, no longer have to worry about AC bills, and despite living in a smaller place, have 150 things going on in the area each time I walk out the door.

Again I'm not bashing Phoenix... it's a good place with good people. But it lends itself to a certain cocoon lifestyle, where it's cheap and easy to simply get by. In my case, I wanted to swim with the sharks, so I moved to a place that is much more dynamic career-wise, and much more competitive when it comes to food, entertainment, etc.

The bottom line is that it comes down to individual needs. PHX is great for the retired person who like golf or simply hanging out. It's a great place for the family that wants an affordable house with room for each of their 3-5 kids. It's a fun place to go to college and stay for a few years. But it's a challenging place if you want changing arts, a wide variety of professional entertainment, or to swim with titans of industry.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:33 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,681,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
? It's going to be in the 90's next week and it's the first week in Nov! This is another, not pressing, but reason I want to move. What are seasons actually like? I have no clue. lol
Kinda like a science fiction movie where the heat just extends into all months and the poor people are locked in their homes trying to get one day of cool air blowing their way.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:41 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,728,742 times
I can't give dumb politics and the heat all of the credit. I sold my house near Luke for double what I had paid for it two years earlier. That was right before the bubble burst

Old 10-31-2010, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Hey Twiggy,
I'm going to get a little off topic but I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 22 years now and all I can say is DON"T DO IT. If you want to move to Seattle, you'll be sorry and it won't even take very long to feel that way.
Imagine it raining for 8 to 10 months a year, all day, all night, from September to May or June, EVERY YEAR. It doesn't rain like it does in Az. Here it is a constant heavy drizzle with bursts of rain with heavy storms but it is ALWAYS raining. Everything turns green from the mold, mildew and moss. Anything left outside will turn green in very short order. And I mean everything. Your cars, house, roofs, lawnmowers, exterior lights, anything outside.
Do yourself a favor and look into someplace that isn't so drenched. Spokane or Bend Oregon but whatever you do, don't put yourself thru a winter here. You'll regret it. It's not the cold, it's the wet that will get to your phsychie. It wears on you. Nothing but clouds and rain. It's very depressing.
Thanks for the advice but I was just using Seattle as an example in an answer to another post. My sister lives up there and I am aware of the rain. lol
I was using it as an example for people who move here because they don't want snow and then later realize that we have emense sunshine, to the point where you have to cover up 1/2 the year and protect your skin. A lot more than they thought. It's easy to under estimate just how long our summers are. I mean look, it's starting Nov. and it will still be like summer anywhere else. It says fall everywhere, in the stores, tv, holidays, but outside it's still summer. I'm starting to want my activities and lifestyle to match the seasons. I know it sounds strange and it's not a deal breaker but it is starting to wear on me.
It's driving me a little batty lately.
Although she loves it and can't take the heat here, but I wouldn't go from one extreme to the other, I figure that would be a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area