Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 03:31 PM

3,062 posts, read 6,714,090 times

Advertisements

I agree.
Here in town the tourists don't pay much attention to crossing from Whiskey Row to the park.
Yet the traffic signal allows about 2 cars at most to make a left onto Whiskey Row.
If you are walking against my turn light I will get you excited!

Old 10-30-2010, 03:44 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,095,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I feel the same way. Not so much on guns, but on the whole tenor of politics in this state. It seems to be more and more extremist with bias and unabashed social engineering emerging in recent legislation. I was reasonably comfortable living with the Goldwater republicans though I do not share many of their views. This new crop, though, has me ready to move to Vermont or something.

In the past, we had insightful governors (of both parties) who appreciated the importance of image to our state's growth and economy and either suppressed the wacky legislature or vetoed the worst of their bills. Brewer does not seem to be one of them. She reminds me of Evan Meacham. Maybe she will change after the election. Meacham and the legislature became an economic liability and so the rich and powerful terminated him. That might happen again if Brewer doesn't come to her senses.
I agree! The gun issue is my personal preference and I don't dislike hunting, as a matter of fact I respect someone more who kills the food they eat it's the city folk afraid of other people that own a gun that I'm concerned about. As I stated though, my opinion and preference.
I wonder if it will happen to Jan, these younger kids are more aggressive on both sides and politics has become more like football and less about governing to me.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:55 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,095,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
Actually, the city of Phoenix food tax was to pay for the light-rail. I know, they said "police and fire", but those budgets wouldn't have been threatened if the city wasn't contractually required to pay the large cost of running the trains (ticket prices cover only 25% of the operating costs, taxpayers pay the rest).
I guess that's the "cost", though, of the kind of city you want....
You have me mixed up with someone else, if you're going to follow us around and tell us why we shouldn't want to leave then at least remember who said what.
Education tops my list, I don't think we have any business buying "toys" like light rail or stadiums until we get our priorities straight and have raise our funding in education and health care. I could give 2 sheets if we have a transit system or entertainment until we take care of our peoples needs.
Our city is just like the people you complain about on here, take their last dollar and waste it on things we don't really need until we get our priorities in order. It embarrasses me, but then again, like I've stated, these are the priorities I will look for in a state I move out of here too!

As for my views on guns, I don't understand how the same people who praise our police force and deny our crime issues support a concealed carry law with no education or training? What is everyone afraid of? I see housewives packing at school, why? Either you trust our laws or you don't, either you are a hunter or you are not, either you are afraid and think you need a gun because we live in a dangerous city or you don't. You can't tout both.
I am not afraid enough of our crime to pack heat, nor do I think our police officers do such a bad job that I need to take care of it.
Every hunter or collector I know thinks this law is stupid, they agree on training and don't think every Tom Joe and Paula need to be packing pistols around the city. My opinion about guns isn't arguable either, this is how I feel. To each his own, but I'm drowning in the see of contradiction about this gun issue and think it's a bad idea for my neighbor to try and protect himself or me without training for that weapon, or my kids to go to a party with other young "drunk" "high" adults packing a gun. The criminals have plenty of training, they do it for a living.

Last edited by twiggy; 10-30-2010 at 04:03 PM..

Old 10-30-2010, 05:12 PM

660 posts, read 1,399,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
Ummm, I mean no disrespect but by the letter of the law, IT IS A CRIME. It's called J-walking. Nothing in the law says it only applies if there are others around.
I would agree that the officer perhaps went overboard if he was rude to you for such a small violation of the law but it's situations like this that make people think the laws don't apply to them at that particular time.
We can't choose what laws to abide by or not, anymore than law enforcement officers can choose what laws to defend.
If it's against the law, it's against the law.....
None taken. That is what I figured the Officer was so upset about, but I haven't heard of anyone anywhere that was arrested or even acknowledged for J-walking. People in big cities walk against the light all the time and the only logic I can think of why it could be wrong is if someone walking against the light didn't see a car coming and caused an accident or as Keninaz mentioned that possibly a pedestrian can get in the way of a short turn light. Where I'm at now it happens all the time and pedestrians are very bold and will walk in front of the car even if they see someone starting to make the turn.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:14 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,227,545 times
Quote:
...and 1800's and well into the 1900s. Most of the gun control acts were passed between 1933 and 1955. A few here and there passed in the late-1960's, late-1980's, a few throughout the 1990's.

However, our right and our duty to "bear arms" comes from the 2nd Amendment (obviously, this was something the Founding Fathers thought to be important).

The duty part comes first:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State"
If you read the writings of the authors and signers of the first 10 amendments, you find out that the "well regulated Militia" was not a branch of service or what we might today think of as a "militia", but it was ordinary (civilian) citizens who pocessed guns, who knew how to use those guns well, and were willing to step up at a moments notice to defend their country if need be.
In other words, the founders felt it was every able citizen's duty to be capable and willing to fight for their country. Some of the founders stated it out-right not much different than I just did.

The second part:
"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
The founders knew that it was necessary for folks to be able to protect their family and private property, to step up and serve their country if needed, and defend their rights.
So it's your "duty" to carry out vigilante justice if needed? There are a lot of other laws that could really get you into a lot of trouble for shooting an invader. But thanks for reminding me about personal property...

Another thing that just really irks me about this awful city is the abundance of HOAs. This article was disgusting to me...

'Halloween House' in Surprise drawing boos from neighbors, HOA

I don't understand why so many people in Phoenix just love being told what they can and can't do with their homes. It's bad enough to have thousands of square miles of near identical buildings, but even on holidays people can't even get into the spirit. My parents went out of town and the kid next door parked his car on the street in front of their house. Lo and behold they got a hefty fine for that. Ironically, the plethora of Republicans in this hell hole don't want the government "controlling" their lives... but being told what is and is not permissible to do with your own home if just fine.

Quote:
Yes, but how often has it changed? Can you tell me what has been removed from it? (Hint, only one thing has ever been removed).
Actually, the Constitution was written to be a strong foundation, capable of holding up a young free nation. The founders did leave a method to change the Constitution, but that process has not be excersized often, and always with much debate and a majority of support.
The last amendment, in 1992, limited congressional pay raises (betcha didn't know that). Before that, in 1972, the 26th amendment ensured the right to vote to anyone 18 years or older.
It may not have changed much over time, but it was designed to be changed as the times changed. Not to mention, most federal laws aren't even in the Constitution. I wouldn't play the patriotic card if I were you... especially if you want to defend Arizona. Back to the tin-foil-hat-wearing, assault-weapon-touting, compound-dwelling, Bible-thumping kooks who make up the majority of voters here, there are some rather invasive laws in this state and definitely some that seem to negate your forefathers argument...

There's this... Arizona abortion rules expected to take effect Monday
And I don't care what people say, abortion laws are based on Christian beliefs. Religions that believe in reincarnation see abortion as throwing a fish back into the sea. That's the latest of Arizona's anti-woman measures, in addition to the right of doctors to deny abortions based on moral grounds. Then there's the gay marriage issue, which was already banned in Arizona's Constitution, yet those conservative groups felt the need to put it on the ballot to make it illegal (which it already was)... and it accomplished nothing. Both of those are religious-based and I think you should really look up some quotes our founding fathers said... Jefferson wrote in Article XI of the Treaty of Tripoli: "As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian religion..." John Adams wrote: “This would be the best of all possible worlds if there were no religion in it.” Benjamin Franklin wrote: "The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason." And aside from anything George Washington wrote or said regarding religion, you can find many, many more quotes on religion our founding fathers said. My point is Arizona still liberally passes Christian-faith-based laws, even though the aforementioned are quite invasive. If Arizona had no abortion or gay marriage restrictions, it still isn't mandating abortion or gay marriage, it would be allowing people to make the CHOICE for themselves.

I could really care less if there are illegal immigrants here... quite simply because they were never any competition whatsoever for jobs I'm seeking in this state or any other. On top of that, as of this year over 85% of Arizona's prison population IS legal. And personally, I think if you feel they are "stealing" jobs from US citizens in Arizona you are providing affirmation to the poor quality of jobs in this state. Furthermore, if police stop you for any reason and part of the routine is to check your citizenship status, why does Arizona need a bill to stop you for believing you are here illegally? Hence, I feel SB 1070 is an invasive measure. Now, if you want to respond to this, at least address this question: would I or my grandmother be at any risk for being stopped on suspicion? I was born in the US, but she wasn't and she has an extremely thick accent. Neither one of us are Latino. If she came to visit, though she's legal she wouldn't have an Arizona ID. If I were in public and talking to her on the phone I'd likely be conversing in German. If a cop were nearby, logically he should ask to see some papers... right? If this really isn't Brewer and Pearce pandering to voters to ensure they have jobs next week by targeting Latinos, the officer's protocol should be to think: "he's speaking foreign." I just think it's suspicious that in this session the legislature also got rid of ethnic studies: Arizona Ethnic Studies Classes Banned, Teachers With Accents Can No Longer Teach English

I don't see how ethnic studies are even a threat. Hopefully I don't have to deal with this state or its abundant crap much longer.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:21 PM

39,122 posts, read 51,371,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
None taken. That is what I figured the Officer was so upset about, but I haven't heard of anyone anywhere that was arrested or even acknowledged for J-walking. People in big cities walk against the light all the time and the only logic I can think of why it could be wrong is if someone walking against the light didn't see a car coming and caused an accident or as Keninaz mentioned that possibly a pedestrian can get in the way of a short turn light. Where I'm at now it happens all the time and pedestrians are very bold and will walk in front of the car even if they see someone starting to make the turn.
I had several colleagues and co-workers who were cited for jaywalking (cross against the signal) in downtown Phoenix. It's been a while since I worked in that area, so I don't know if Phoenix PD still enforces the lights, but they did at one time.

Also, where I live the cops hassle the kids and maybe the adults too for not crossing at the crosswalks. There was a time that PHX had an inordinate number of car/pedestrian accidents. Maybe it is still that way.That might explain the increased concern.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,175,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phxgreenfire View Post
Another thing that just really irks me about this awful city...Hopefully I don't have to deal with this state or its abundant crap much longer.
Do you ever post about anything of a positive nature? Or do you expend all your energy on bemoaning life in a hell hole? I'm just curious. It might very well explain why you've had limited success in your plan to escape the big desert.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:55 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,987,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Do you ever post about anything of a positive nature? Or do you expend all your energy on bemoaning life in a hell hole?
Re-read the title of the thread. Phxgreenfire is on topic, yours is not.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:00 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,175,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
Re-read the title of the thread. Phxgreenfire is on topic, yours is not.
Thanks for responding on behalf of the o/p. You have a valid point, to a point. However, this person has the same bitter diatribe on every thread in the Phoenix forums. I just snapped, I guess. It happens. The negativity wears on me. I suppose use of the ignore feature would be a better course of action. Have a nice day, now y'hear?

Old 10-30-2010, 07:20 PM

88 posts, read 182,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Thanks for responding on behalf of the o/p. You have a valid point, to a point. However, this person has the same bitter diatribe on every thread in the Phoenix forums. I just snapped, I guess. It happens. The negativity wears on me. I suppose use of the ignore feature would be a better course of action. Have a nice day, now y'hear?
It all may sound like negativity but it's sad for many who currently live or still do work here (my case) to see the potential of this great state being flushed down the toilet over the bias and bigotry of some elected officials and their supporters.
Education and those with degrees are generally mocked in AZ, yet guns and those who sleep with one under the pillow are seen as rational?
AS to all things 1070: Demographics show that AZ cannot stay lily white no matter how hard it trys. Within 15 yrs the Latino/Hispanic population will outnumber all the white folks. Isn't it time for everyone to try to get along? There are some forces of nature that cannot be held back so why continue to try to derail the inevitable? JMO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area