Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The reasons you want to leave Phoenix
Lack of employment opportunities/low paying jobs 52 39.69%
Family/friends/moving to be with/getting away from 15 11.45%
Lack of entertainment/culture/walkability/bored 42 32.06%
Suburbia/stucco/track housing 32 24.43%
Esthetics/sick of the desert/brown/climate 56 42.75%
Politics 32 24.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 09:27 AM

3,062 posts, read 6,704,735 times

Advertisements

Heat, lots of traffic and people. Crime was another factor for us.
I could not live where the temps hit over 100° before 10 AM at times on a regular basis.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:21 AM

523 posts, read 938,187 times
twiggy,

You put a lot of effort into your post. On one of the themes, with Arizona being a border state, it will always be one additional source of difficulty which places stress on the system.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:58 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,087,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
twiggy,

You put a lot of effort into your post. On one of the themes, with Arizona being a border state, it will always be one additional source of difficulty which places stress on the system.
Yes, I realize, and I know it's difficult but there are 11 states that boarder other countries in our nation, and I don't see the hatefulness dealing with it. But, to be fair I haven't lived in any of them so I don't have much to go on except for hear say.
I know people are afraid, and irritated but thats exactly why I wouldn't hand them all guns. With no training, and undereducated them, leave them with no work and put them in 110 degree heat. LOL

Old 10-30-2010, 11:15 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,522,486 times
Quote:
Right, we can't so lets tax food for it,
Actually, the city of Phoenix food tax was to pay for the light-rail. I know, they said "police and fire", but those budgets wouldn't have been threatened if the city wasn't contractually required to pay the large cost of running the trains (ticket prices cover only 25% of the operating costs, taxpayers pay the rest).
I guess that's the "cost", though, of the kind of city you want....

Old 10-30-2010, 11:23 AM

660 posts, read 1,398,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnicAZ View Post
ladysovereign,

I can understand, as call center work tends to be high turnover and lower morale. Job security is going to continue to be essential moving forward.
That is true (did the work temporarily while in College) plus I had/have two college degrees and management background so I really wanted something more geared towards my experience.

I agree that the politicos should be wooing more companies to have headquarters here that do more than offer credit cards, internet services or retail.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:31 AM

660 posts, read 1,398,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
The two main flaws in Phoenix is the police state crackdown (photo radar, draconian DUI laws, etc)
I have to agree with you on the Police issue as I had a very strange run in with a Phoenix Police Officer a while ago. My friend and I were downtown and doing as we normally do, we walked across the street when there were no more cars passing by. When we got to the other side, this Phoenix Policeman walks over to us and starts yelling that we're rude and how dare we do that, blah blah and I swear if I didn't apologize over and over to him that very second he started shouting, I was sure he was going to arrest me! I guess if you don't wait until you get the blinking sign to say "Walk" it's a crime in Phoenix?

I've been in a lot of major cities and visited plenty of downtown areas and never had an incident like that one (and I don't always wait to cross when the sign says "Walk").

Last edited by ladysovereign; 10-30-2010 at 11:41 AM..

Old 10-30-2010, 01:28 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,706,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie_az View Post
I much prefer Phoenix, personally. But, then, I'm not into that dense urbanism, either.
Agreed. I'm not into dense urbanism either. If I was I would have moved to Tokyo years ago. But... Phoenix has that whole "I don't care" attitude towards every topic.

I think my biggest complaint, in this topic, is the lack of city planning in any of the cities in the valley. You look at any of the cities in the area and its either an over abundance of suburbia or a cluster of city. Mill ave is a great example of a cluster. With a giant empty skyscraper making shade for the city and homes for the homeless... lol

Old 10-30-2010, 01:35 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,226,329 times
Quote:
I much prefer Phoenix, personally. But, then, I'm not into that dense urbanism, either.
That's really not that dense. That part of town is considered more suburban by their standards. But that's more comfortable to me and it's not like I could even move to a part of Phoenix offering something more like that. On top of that, Seoul has more to offer in general than Phoenix.

Quote:
I don't understand what is "controversial" about the law. That is how it was for the majority of the time this country has existed. It's what the Founding Fathers invisioned (that not only do you have the right to carry a gun, it was your duty as a good citizen to do so).
If anything, gun control laws should be called "controversial". But I guess that's why I'm not a member of the media....

OK, sorry, off-topic....
But that was also the late 1700s, right out of the American Revolution, Native tribes threatened settlers and Britain was a mortal enemy who still controlled Canada. The Constitution was also written in a way to be changed as the times changed.

Old 10-30-2010, 02:38 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,522,486 times
Quote:
But that was also the late 1700s
...and 1800's and well into the 1900s. Most of the gun control acts were passed between 1933 and 1955. A few here and there passed in the late-1960's, late-1980's, a few throughout the 1990's.

However, our right and our duty to "bear arms" comes from the 2nd Amendment (obviously, this was something the Founding Fathers thought to be important).

The duty part comes first:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State"
If you read the writings of the authors and signers of the first 10 amendments, you find out that the "well regulated Militia" was not a branch of service or what we might today think of as a "militia", but it was ordinary (civilian) citizens who pocessed guns, who knew how to use those guns well, and were willing to step up at a moments notice to defend their country if need be.
In other words, the founders felt it was every able citizen's duty to be capable and willing to fight for their country. Some of the founders stated it out-right not much different than I just did.

The second part:
"...the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
The founders knew that it was necessary for folks to be able to protect their family and private property, to step up and serve their country if needed, and defend their rights.

Quote:
The Constitution was also written in a way to be changed as the times changed.
Yes, but how often has it changed? Can you tell me what has been removed from it? (Hint, only one thing has ever been removed).
Actually, the Constitution was written to be a strong foundation, capable of holding up a young free nation. The founders did leave a method to change the Constitution, but that process has not be excersized often, and always with much debate and a majority of support.
The last amendment, in 1992, limited congressional pay raises (betcha didn't know that). Before that, in 1972, the 26th amendment ensured the right to vote to anyone 18 years or older.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:18 PM

1,551 posts, read 3,649,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysovereign View Post
I have to agree with you on the Police issue as I had a very strange run in with a Phoenix Police Officer a while ago. My friend and I were downtown and doing as we normally do, we walked across the street when there were no more cars passing by. When we got to the other side, this Phoenix Policeman walks over to us and starts yelling that we're rude and how dare we do that, blah blah and I swear if I didn't apologize over and over to him that very second he started shouting, I was sure he was going to arrest me! I guess if you don't wait until you get the blinking sign to say "Walk" it's a crime in Phoenix?

I've been in a lot of major cities and visited plenty of downtown areas and never had an incident like that one (and I don't always wait to cross when the sign says "Walk").

Ummm, I mean no disrespect but by the letter of the law, IT IS A CRIME. It's called J-walking. Nothing in the law says it only applies if there are others around.
I would agree that the officer perhaps went overboard if he was rude to you for such a small violation of the law but it's situations like this that make people think the laws don't apply to them at that particular time.
We can't choose what laws to abide by or not, anymore than law enforcement officers can choose what laws to defend.
If it's against the law, it's against the law.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area