Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2007, 09:05 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegaspilgrim View Post
Is Phoenix a city with an airport, or an airport that happens to have some buildings around it?
I remember Sky Harbor as a grass strip - it was in the middle of absolute no where -

One of the things that has been benifical to the growth of business development in Phoenix has been the proximity to the airport (from the main business district) -

The City has grown around the airport - the height of buildings has ALWAYS been a matter of discussion - and concern, as it relates to Sky Harbor - and I would think, will continue to be so -

Old 11-11-2007, 11:20 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
As was mentioned, this type of letter by the FAA is very routine. They get the project details, look at the height, and stamp it with "Presumed hazard" without further investigation. Then comes the further investigation that actually looks at all the details.

For the record, the new Sheraton hotel at 350' got a "Presumed hazard" letter initially and it's not built...and the proposed W Hotel initially got the same hazard warning but after investigating further, it was approved at 450'. The W Hotel would have been closer to the runways then Cityscape will be...so if that got the ok for that height, Cityscape should at a minimum get the same.

Old 11-13-2007, 10:53 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
It wouldn't surprise me if the FAA made their conclusion from outdated guidelines for building heights around Sky Harbor, and by outdated, I'm talking about from the mid 1950's, when propeller powered aircraft, like the Douglas DC-6 and the Lockheed 1049 Constellation were the airliners of the day.
Once again, you're right on the money. It baffles me how the FAA seems to have no issue with skyward laser light beams and towering mega resort hotels in Vegas, but they throw an idiot fit over a proposed 500 foot tall highrise in downtown Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I hope this project goes fully as planned without any disruptions from the FAA.
I certainly hope so too ... but I just have a funny feeling that this CityScape project will either be scaled back, delayed, or not built at all. I hate to be negative, but I've seen too many skyscraper projects fall to the same fate in this city ... either because of the pathetic NIMBYs/preservationists, the FAA sticking their noses in, cost overruns, material shortages, etc.

The powers that be at City Hall can do their part by not pandering to the pencil pushing bureaucrats (FAA) who know little or nothing about highrise architecture. They should also quit giving in to the old f.a.r.t.s. (the NIMBY types who are fanatically against relatively tall structures).

Old 11-13-2007, 11:20 PM

919 posts, read 3,395,806 times
Height isn't really important. Nobody lives in the world's tallest buildings... they are just tall offices.

The key is having a good mixture of higher density residential units at various price points putting bodies on the streets and supporting bars, eateries, etc. A downtown Phoenix with 100,000 lawyers and IT professionals isn't cool. You need the starving artists, new chefs, roller hockey bake sales, funny barfly, stressed hooker, etc. to keep things real and fun.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:52 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joninaz View Post
Height isn't really important. Nobody lives in the world's tallest buildings... they are just tall offices.

The key is having a good mixture of higher density residential units at various price points putting bodies on the streets and supporting bars, eateries, etc. A downtown Phoenix with 100,000 lawyers and IT professionals isn't cool. You need the starving artists, new chefs, roller hockey bake sales, funny barfly, stressed hooker, etc. to keep things real and fun.
Frankly, I couldn't care less about the artsy/fartsy crowd ... but I agree that a mix of those types along with the business professionals contribute to a large, diverse city.

But Phoenix does need more height for several reasons. One is the sprawl factor. A city with a scattering of 20 story buildings along the Central Corridor, and 400 additional square miles of strip malls, cookie cutter subdivisions, and vacant lots in between doesn't make for a true big city experience. The other reason for more tall office buildings is to attract more corporations to the area ... not just the satellite offices, but regional or national HQs that pay higher wages. The nation's fifth largest city can't keep plodding along and being famous for just sunshine, cheap housing, and cactus. We need more professional entrepreneurs & Fortune 500 type of firms here.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:59 PM

The project does seem to be dragging it's feel. The latest is that they need variances before they can get anymore permits and they need the permits before they can start to build. Aside from the FAA variance, they are also asking for variances on the setbacks and other items.

I don't think it will go belly up, but it will probably get scaled back and who knows about actually getting all four towers, or even three of them. I do think that the Patriot's Square block with AJs and the other retail will happen, as well as the Wachovia tower since that is part of Wachovia's expansion into the Valley.

Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 AM

2,441 posts, read 7,009,624 times
I hope this project is scaled back or not constructed at all. People don't move to Phoenix for its urbanity. People move to Phoenix for the weather and the mountain views. It would clearly be a waste of money.

I see no need to put up a bunch of tall skyscrapers solely because Phoenix is the 5th most populous city in the country, or because smaller cities across the United States have tall skylines.

In this day in age most people live and work in the suburbs. The day of the majority of people living in the suburbs and working in the city is over. This is not 1950 when the trend was for most people to work in the core of the central city. There's no need to slap up a bunch of shiny, tall skyscrapers if they're not needed.

What we should REALLY be focused on in densifying our suburbs with low and mid rise development. Additionally we should be strengthening public transportation networks across the suburban areas, where the majority of Valley residents live and work, and where the majority of new residents are moving.

This is not Atlanta, not Houston, not Los Angeles, not Manhattan, and not Chicago. We need to work with what we have in an efficient, cost-effective manner, instead of dealing with some inferiority complex trying to be like everyone else.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:01 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
Quote:
I beg to differ with you on this. The world's tallest building, when finished, will have over 200 floors, most of which will be condos. It's in the country of Dubai.

Burj Dubai - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I agree with HX_Guy, we need more buildings for mixed use, rather than strictly commercial office buildings to bring more life to downtown. I've said it before and I'll say it again, urban sprawl might be okay in some metro areas, but it certainly isn't for the valley.

Old 11-14-2007, 08:21 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Like MagnumMike, Id also like to disagree with this comment. The John Hancock building in Chicago (1,100 ft) is home to many people and is the world's highest residential building as of right now. The Burj Dubai is set to pass it once people occupy it, and the Chicago Spire that is being built (2000 ft tall) is also residential as is the 1,200 ft tall Trump Tower in Chicago. Then there is the Q1 in Australia and...

Old 11-14-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiman View Post
I hope this project is scaled back or not constructed at all. People don't move to Phoenix for its urbanity. People move to Phoenix for the weather and the mountain views. It would clearly be a waste of money.
What makes you qualified to make that assumption?

While I agree a lot of people move to Phoenix to get away from urban cities like NYC and Chicago, I don't think it's for the mountains...that's certainly not why I live here. And the weather can be enjoyed no matter where you live in the city.

The thing is, there are plently of suburbs right? Plently of houses out in the desert...I think we can both agree with that. So for people who want that lifestyle, they can have it. But what about people, like myself, who would like to stay in Phoenix but want more of a urban life? Why can't we have an option as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area