Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2007, 10:58 AM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Here are the new renderings for CityScape. Also, they have filed for FAA height clearance which gives the actual planned height.

Study (ASN): 2007-AWP-5520-OE

Work Schedule: 10/01/2007 to 12/15/2009
Other Description: 45 Story Hotel/ Condo Tower

Structure Height: 510 ft.

Study (ASN): 2007-AWP-5521-OE

Work Schedule: 10/01/2007 to 12/15/2009

Other Description: 27 Story Office Tower

Structure Height: 375 ft.

<Images removed>
I'm a little puzzled about filing with the FAA for height clearance - I thought they would have done that before purchasing the land, and before starting work on the site.

Old 09-14-2007, 02:36 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,942,828 times
Apparently not. It's not that uncommon though, I've seen it for most projects actually...they start planning, they start the permitting process with the city...and then they ask for FAA approval. Not sure why, maybe they feel confident there won't be any problems?

Old 09-20-2007, 08:36 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
Update on the proposed W Hotel planned for downtown Phoenix:

Sarver's plans to build a Phoenix W Hotel killed (broken link)

Another highrise project bites the dust ... thanks mostly to the Chinese group who started the ridiculous lawsuit over the Sun Mercantile building. If this building has such sacred Chinese history, then why doesn't this "Tang family" DO something with it??? The building was targeted for redevelopment because it's a dilapidated eyesore!

And of course, the whole lawsuit prevented groundbreaking on the hotel by its deadline of June 30th. So chalk up yet another tall building in Phoenix with the "never built" label attached to it. As I said before, I wish all these anti everything types would get out of Dodge!

Old 09-20-2007, 09:06 PM

While I think the preservation people had something to do with it, I don't think they are at fault fully.

The condos were a big part of this project and for it to pencil out, they were a necessity.
With the current market conditions, I don't think this was really worth going forward and fighting for in the developer's eyes. If the demand was hot, I'm sure they could have either worked something out with the preservationists or reconfigured the hotel to not intrude on the Sun Merchantile building.

So while the market conditions are mostly to blame now, I do think the preservationists had a bit to do with delaying the project enough time to where the developers realized what was happening with the market. The original project was announced back in 2005 and permits had already started to be issued in late 2005...back then, the market wasn't nearly as bad as it is now and it's really about the same time that 44 Monroe got underway...so without the delay from the preservationists, this could have already been rising by the time the market took a dive.

Old 09-22-2007, 04:51 PM

14 posts, read 36,662 times
And thats the reason why Dwtn Phx. sucks, because of pathetic morons like that. They should just pack up and invest in either New york or San francisco, because both of those cities have an 'ESTABLISHED CHINATOWN".
Not no empty roach clutterd eyesore called sun merc.

Despite all the highrise construction and other dtwn developments, Dtwn Phx is still far behind when compared to other comparable cities. But we now understand (part of the reason) why.

I just wonder if this JACKSON STREET ENTERTAINMENT DISTRICT that is being talked about ever gets built, the empty sun merc building might become a graffitti wall for party goers and maybe """non-party goers""" !!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:20 PM

From CityScapes website:

CityScape to Break Ground
On Monday, October 22, the CityScape project team will break ground on the 2.5 million-square-foot, mixed use project. Check back for new announcements and project updates!

And bigger news from AZCentral.com:

Kimpton plans to open Phoenix boutique hotel

Jahna Berry
The Arizona Republic
Oct. 19, 2007 02:22 PM

Kimpton Hotels, a San Francisco boutique hotel chain plans to open a hotel in downtown Phoenix, a company spokeswoman confirmed on Friday.

The hotel, which will be part of CityScape, will have about 250 beds and will include condominiums, said spokeswoman Jamie Law.

On Monday, developers Red Development LLC and CDK Partners LLC will break ground on a $900 million, three-block development in the heart of Phoenix. The development will include apartments, shops, restaurants and offices.

CityScape developers plan to announce deal with Kimpton and a financial services firm during groundbreaking festivities on Monday.

Local media reports have indicated that Wachovia Corp. plan to announce Monday a Phoenix expansion - the same day as the CityScape groundbreaking.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:35 PM

919 posts, read 3,395,806 times
Who cares about hotels and offices - Phoenix needs more affordable lofts and other high density housing in order to build a critical mass that will sustain nightlife, etc. Denver and LA, which like PHX, saw most growth post WWII when cars were plentiful and workers could escape downtown to the burbs after work. Both have big dowtowns and big buildings, but were pretty much ghost towns at night until recently when folks started moving back in. Denver's revival started in late 80s, early 90s when many buildings were converted to lofts. At the same time, unique eateries, bewpubs and clubs started opening up. People from all over the burbs suddenly would head downtown for their entertainment. LA's momentum is really picking up. If you can find a vacant building, someone is trying to convert it to loft space. Even right above skid row and in the middle of 60,000 homeless. I know there's a number of high end residential projects going in downtown PHX - but what about more affordable digs for musicians, artists, teachers, young chefs, aspiring realtors and others who help round out the cool, urban experience?

Old 10-19-2007, 08:50 PM

I agree with you that we need more affordable housing. A new project was just announced at 3rd St and Fillmore with prices starting at $229,000 for a 1 bedroom unit. I know that's still probably $50k too much, but it's a step in the right direction and a good $100k lower then probably any other new build downtown.

And hotels and offices do matter, it's all part of the big picture. The hotels will have more people staying downtown, and these people will require services, restaurants, and entertainment. Same with the office buildings...it means more jobs downtown, which means the need for more residential...and these residents will need retail, services, entertainment, etc.

Old 10-19-2007, 10:16 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,866,725 times
I'm glad to hear CityScape will have its groundbreaking on Monday.

Although the tallest building in CityScape will only be about 25-30 feet taller than the Chase Tower, which has been the tallest building in Arizona since 1972, I hope that starts a new trend towards taller buildings and hopefully break the 600-foot barrier in height.

Old 10-22-2007, 10:07 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area