Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 09:12 PM

1,087 posts, read 3,517,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
beautiful dog. . . .and goats. I used to have chickens and my collie would let them crawl all over him. . . . .unfortunatly, I didn't get any pictures!
Thanks. My dog lets the goats do all kinds of stuff to him. They even pull his tail. One of them loves to eat hair, so she sneaks up behind him and nabs a mouthful of his long tail hair. He'll give them a warning growl when they pull his hair out, but he'd never hurt them. They love to play rough with him. They like him to chase them and they'll chase him back. If he wants to go take a nap and they still want to play, they'll head-butt him until he gets up, and then do flips in front of him to try to get his prey and herding drive going so he'll chase them.

I got the goats for him because he likes to go herding, and it was such a far drive to the nearest place he could herd. So he got his own goats for his birthday and Christmas a couple years ago. Not much herding goes on around here though. They think he's their big brother and they follow him everywhere. It's kind of hard to herd what follows you.

Old 06-27-2011, 11:21 AM

270 posts, read 1,109,896 times
We had a toy poodle for 2 yrs here. I kept her clipped short in the summer. She stayed indoor exclusively and only went out for doing her business.

Now we have a border collie mix. She sheds moderately and her fur is quite long. I keep her brushed weekly to remove as much undercoat as I can and once a while (using a spray bottle) I spray her with water for evap cooling. This is b/c my place is kept at about 90F w/ac on. She has a box fan (always on) and she uses it whenever she wants. At first we worried about the higher house temp affecting her cooling ability. But so far she has no prob at all. I think she has acclimate to the condition slowly and that helps.

She prefers to be walked at least 3x a day. So a mid-day walk is necessary. We make our way to the grassy area as soon as we can and hot sidewalk does not seem to bother her much.

Old 06-27-2011, 12:49 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,160,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post
Thanks. My dog lets the goats do all kinds of stuff to him. They even pull his tail. One of them loves to eat hair, so she sneaks up behind him and nabs a mouthful of his long tail hair. He'll give them a warning growl when they pull his hair out, but he'd never hurt them. They love to play rough with him. They like him to chase them and they'll chase him back. If he wants to go take a nap and they still want to play, they'll head-butt him until he gets up, and then do flips in front of him to try to get his prey and herding drive going so he'll chase them.

I got the goats for him because he likes to go herding, and it was such a far drive to the nearest place he could herd. So he got his own goats for his birthday and Christmas a couple years ago. Not much herding goes on around here though. They think he's their big brother and they follow him everywhere. It's kind of hard to herd what follows you.
I LOVE this story!

Old 06-27-2011, 01:01 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpresley View Post
I love my little dog! I kinda just happened upon him in a dumpster when he was 4 weeks old. He was the most destructive puppy I have ever dealt with but now at a year and a half old he is an awesome dog. I had DNA test done him and I am not the father ahhhhheeeeem i mean he is a doxiepin(dachsund and miniture pincher mix) He is a great little dog.
Cute! (Wirehaired Doxie, I suppose, unless there's yet another breed in the mix!)

Old 06-27-2011, 01:02 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Dachshunds are really popular out here, just becareful it amazes me what they can do. They will dig holes, climb under fences, anything really. You have to be careful especially since they are real curious and might get a little too close to rattlesnakes and scorpions.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:05 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ah, I lived in the high desert for 3 years and even in the hottest part of the day, the shade really worked (not like here in North Texas) and the evenings were so cool...70s...you could actually enjoy being outside (again, not like here in parts of Texas where the humidity makes it all cling). For example, today's weather where I used to live is 105/78 with 7% humidity.
whats your elevation

Old 06-27-2011, 01:41 PM

80 posts, read 289,265 times
Default Just got rescue dog from Maricopa county shelter

Just adopted this Rat Terrier from the shelter on last friday. Very depressing in that shelter. Glad that I was able to find a dog like we wanted to rescue.
She is a beautiful little 15 lb, 1 yr old rattie.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you have a dog?  What kind?-img_0229.jpg  

Old 06-27-2011, 03:47 PM

10 posts, read 32,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard222 View Post
Just adopted this Rat Terrier from the shelter on last friday. Very depressing in that shelter. Glad that I was able to find a dog like we wanted to rescue.
She is a beautiful little 15 lb, 1 yr old rattie.
She is gorgeous!!! Well done for rescuing her.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:29 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnp View Post

Your story reminds me of a dog I used to have. He was Border Collie and Great Pyrenees...looked like a GIANT Border Collie. He was in high heaven when we got goats too! He loved those babies and, like your dog, played with them allll the time. You'd see them chasing one another all over the place, butting heads, playing like crazy and then go lay down under a bush for a nap. lol We got the goats mostly for milk but Shadow really needed something to "work" with. He was soooo smart, learned so easy and was super protective of everything he considered "his". The cats wouldn't let him 'herd' them but when they were little kittens me 'mothered' them all the time. One day a little neighbor boy threw one of the kittens in a kiddie pool and Shadow jumped in, picked him up with his teeth...ever so gently...and removed him from the kid's reach. lol Shadow was protective with anyone/anything he considered a "baby". I loved that dog so much and still miss him.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:48 PM

641 posts, read 2,366,324 times
I have a Pyrenees, chihuahua , and dachshund.

Pyrenees are up at night and sleep during the day. Get along with cats and other animals, but protective of their homes And will give their life for you.
A true gentle soul.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area