Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 08:42 AM

159 posts, read 397,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
I had a great experience with Howard Air recently. I will never use anyone else.
I used Howard a few years back and they were great.
Not the cheapest, but they did everything very well (new split with equipment relocation involved) and took care of a few post install issues without any problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 07:06 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,437,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognito View Post
Hi all,

I have condo in Scottsdale and I need to replace my AC unit. It's a small condo but the unit needs to be placed on the roof (3-4 floors up) and we are getting a quote of $2650. Seems pricey to me. (But, perhaps it's a fair price?) Since we want to shop the price I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to try. We are in WI so we aren't familar with the businesses out there and would really appreciate any input!

Thank you!
That doesn't sound that bad. The SEER (pretty sure that's what it's called) rating is important though....make sure you're not saving some money on a unit that has a SEER rating that's lower than what you really should be getting. You'll end up giving that money back and then some to APS every month.

One thing I will say about who to call when it comes to getting repair work done.....Arizona Refrigeration....that's who you should call. I've lived here 22 years and I've been down this road enough times to know who to trust. A lot of these outfits Moderator cut: inappropriate have technicians that work on commission and they try and tell you need things that you really don't need to replace. I almost got burnt, my 90 year old parents and two different friends, all of us with the same situation....technician tells you, the freon is fine but, you got other problems and it's going to cost you $1,000-1,500 to fix with the parts. Tell them no thanks (you'll still have to pay $100 for the service call). Called up Arizona Refrigeration, they come out...put a couple pounds of freon in the system....$100-150 at the most and you're house ice cold....no problems...system wasn't leaking....haven't had to call since. Ask them about what the other technician wanted to replace and they'll tell you, "yes, it's not new but, it's running fine, you don't need to replace that." They don't have any incentive to rip you off....they don't work off commission for new parts.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-24-2012 at 12:38 PM.. Reason: Consumer complaints are not permitted on City-Data.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cognito View Post
Hi all,

I have condo in Scottsdale and I need to replace my AC unit. It's a small condo but the unit needs to be placed on the roof (3-4 floors up) and we are getting a quote of $2650. Seems pricey to me. (But, perhaps it's a fair price?) Since we want to shop the price I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good place to try. We are in WI so we aren't familar with the businesses out there and would really appreciate any input!

Thank you!
June 22 2012
We are also looking to replace AC unit on roof of 2nd floor condo....our quote was over $8000.00
Sounds like a big difference...we are going to continue looking!

Old 06-23-2012, 01:50 PM

800 posts, read 1,912,245 times
June 22 2012
We are also looking to replace AC unit on roof of 2nd floor condo....our quote was over $8000.00

Holy Cow!

A/C Smart Cooling and Heating has used A/C units (refurbished) - I believe $1500 for roof mounts installed.

If you'd rather go for new, I highly recommend Anthony James Air Conditioning & Heating - we have used them dozens of times and have always found them to be honest, ethical, responsive, and fair.

Good luck!

Old 06-24-2012, 08:50 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nallan View Post
June 22 2012
The fact that it's on a 2nd story roof shouldn't affect the price much at all. A/C guys only pay the crane guy about $100 to lift one off & replace it.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,696,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
That doesn't sound that bad. The SEER (pretty sure that's what it's called) rating is important though....make sure you're not saving some money on a unit that has a SEER rating that's lower than what you really should be getting. You'll end up giving that money back and then some to APS every month.

One thing I will say about who to call when it comes to getting repair work done.....Arizona Refrigeration....that's who you should call. I've lived here 22 years and I've been down this road enough times to know who to trust. A lot of these outfits Moderator cut: inappropriate have technicians that work on commission and they try and tell you need things that you really don't need to replace. I almost got burnt, my 90 year old parents and two different friends, all of us with the same situation....technician tells you, the freon is fine but, you got other problems and it's going to cost you $1,000-1,500 to fix with the parts. Tell them no thanks (you'll still have to pay $100 for the service call). Called up Arizona Refrigeration, they come out...put a couple pounds of freon in the system....$100-150 at the most and you're house ice cold....no problems...system wasn't leaking....haven't had to call since. Ask them about what the other technician wanted to replace and they'll tell you, "yes, it's not new but, it's running fine, you don't need to replace that." They don't have any incentive to rip you off....they don't work off commission for new parts.

If they "put a couple pounds of freon in" your system *is* leaking. A typical residential heat pump might only hold 3-5 pounds of freon. It's very common for a system
To leak down at the service ports - my A/C guy changes the valve cores every few years & always makes sure the caps get replaced.

If you're paying $100+ for a service call, it's a good idea to at least look the capacitors over for signs of swelling/leaking & check the contactor for signs of pitting. Those are inexpensive & quick to change parts that have a limited lifespan in the desert. Replacing those parts might turn a $100 service call into a $250 call, but not much more than that, and certainly not $1500.

Last edited by Kimballette; 06-24-2012 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area