Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 09:12 PM

133 posts, read 433,399 times

Advertisements

If you buy a townhouse in Tempe, it isn't really competing with new construction. Tempe has a university with over 50K students (and corresponding criminal activity)...... I personally loved living in Tempe and rarely ever felt in danger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 09:27 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbrennan View Post
Yikes about Maryvale.... I would guess that a 3-bedroom house would cost much less than $200K. Zillow.com lists several that have sold for $113,000-150,000.

However, this is irrelevant as plenty of new homes are still popping up in the burbs for $190-200K at the lowest (or less for those who live way out on the fringes), and builders are throwing in incentives for free . Also, you should look into the foreclosure market at this point.
Yep, I still get emails (as an ex re agent) of homes in Maryvale in this price range. They may and probably are the "better" homes in Maryvale, which isn't saying much.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:32 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,168,409 times
You can buy a nice condo for $200k, but I'd choose a better area than Mesa (my opinion, of course). You could get closer to Scottsdale and be in a better area.

Don't get me wrong, you CAN buy a nice little home for $200k, but you will be driving a min. 1 hour or more in rush hour each way.

Also, don't be alarmed about home invasions too much. Just be aware that they DO happen, but that the chances are probably slim if you live in a good area. Now, thinking you're going to take one on, well, that's just risking your life. When they pull out their gun, you'll be dog meat.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
You can buy a nice condo for $200k, but I'd choose a better area than Mesa (my opinion, of course). You could get closer to Scottsdale and be in a better area.

Don't get me wrong, you CAN buy a nice little home for $200k, but you will be driving a min. 1 hour or more in rush hour each way.

Also, don't be alarmed about home invasions too much. Just be aware that they DO happen, but that the chances are probably slim if you live in a good area. Now, thinking you're going to take one on, well, that's just risking your life. When they pull out their gun, you'll be dog meat.
I agree that Mesa should be out. As a rule with condos/townhouses, you should focus on areas with higher average population densities, like Tempe or parts of Scottsdale. People are living in those places because of proximity to other things (like the university, etc). Having owned a townhouse in Tempe, it has never declined in value.

As for the commute, it takes me 20-30 minutes to reach downtown Scottsdale from Laveen, where new homes are still in the $200K range.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:45 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,553 times
Get a house alarm, get a dog, you'll be fine with the home invasion. Dont advertise what you own and dont brag to co-workers either.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:14 PM

5 posts, read 11,019 times
Well, as a single female, the alarm is 1st on the list. As for a dog, how the F! do you keep a dog locked indoors for 11 - 12 hours a day? You can't very well leave a dog out in that heat. I have been waiting to get a dog until I have a house; 2 cats for now.

I really do want an actual house though. I have lived in a mariginal neighborhood and people who caused problems with others tended to leave me alone. I think that while I am in corporate housing for 2 mos. I will do some serious research. I really think that the Phoenix area will see significant growth in the next 5 years, and this is the perfect time to buy.

The subprime mortgage problem has plummeted real estate, and for those of us with good enough credit to qualify for 80/20 loans are in an excellent position to purchase today what will be worth 10-30% more 5 years from now. I'm afraid if I don't take this opportunity I will regret it.

It's so funny - here I live paycheck to paycheck. When I move to AZ, at the same salary, I can buy more than 600 sq ft (which I can't do more than rent here) with comfortable payments. There is SO much to consider in this transition.....

Old 08-12-2007, 02:15 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,209,353 times
Suggestion: rent a townhouse or condo for the first year or 2. Familiarize yourself with the neighborhoods and househunt and get your bearings. That way your decision is not made on the basis of a single trip or what some anonymous folks say on a bulletin board, and you don't end up in a neighborhood or with a commute you potentially grow to despise.

Doggie solution: Doggie door. ;-) My sister out there has one off her guest bathroom. When she has to go to the store or whatever, doggie would go into the bathroom. (Granted, it was a pretty big bathroom too.) So doggie had air conditioned space, and a doggie door to go outside and do his business, then come back into the cool through the doggie door. She also left food for doggie if she was going to be gone like all day. I asked why she didnt leave water. "I stopped leaving water because he would never drink it. He prefers drinking out of the toilet."

Quite personally I work in the construction finance industry (we finance the folks who build housing)--->the market isnt bottomed out yet, prices are still inflated. That said--->I suspicion places like Scottsdale even once "corrected" will never be "cheap". Your "worth 10-30% more in 5 years comment" may have definitely held true---->until a year or 2 ago. I would not bank on that kind of appreciation now, even in most places in Arizona. If you have good credit, the deals on housing will get better before they get worse (ie more incentives, lower prices, and the fed has pretty much been holding steady on rates at least for now). That is one reason I am not buying when I move out there 9/1-I have rented in an area I know, near family, close to work and nice neighborhood.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:07 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,704,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
Suggestion: rent a townhouse or condo for the first year or 2. Familiarize yourself with the neighborhoods and househunt and get your bearings. That way your decision is not made on the basis of a single trip or what some anonymous folks say on a bulletin board, and you don't end up in a neighborhood or with a commute you potentially grow to despise.
Excellent advice, Ivanabacowboy

House hunting "under pressure" is never a good idea, especially when a relocation is involved!

Old 08-12-2007, 01:20 PM

I agree that you should always do your homework before making such a large investment. One or two trips for house-hunting isn't really going to accomplish as much as you might think, as you won't get a proper feel for all of the intangible qualities about your chosen neighborhood without more exposure.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:48 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,617,004 times
Well, as a single female, the alarm is 1st on the list. As for a dog, how the F! do you keep a dog locked indoors for 11 - 12 hours a day? You can't very well leave a dog out in that heat. I have been waiting to get a dog until I have a house; 2 cats for now.

Use a petsitter on the long days. Petsitters can also help keep your dog socialized, especially useful if you work longer hours and don't have houseguests often (learned this the hard way with my eskie).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area