Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 11:22 PM

26 posts, read 136,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
I dont want to start a riot here, but after having lived in Phoenix for 3 years, I felt like it was a big mistake, so I wanted to warn people that might be thinking about moving to Phoenix.
I know a lot of people get worked up about threads like these, but I think they are a good thing. People need to know both the pros AND the cons of a place, before deciding to move there.

Quote:
When I first visited Phoenix, it was kinda neat, the palm trees, the desert etc, but when you actually move there, it is a different story. The heat, it does not matter how much ppl try to say that it is a "dry heat", it is just horrendous!
Indeed. I've lived here for 21 years, and you never really get used to it. No matter how many precautions I take, no matter how much fluid I consume, I always end up suffering from dehydration at least once per year. I always love the monsoon season, because my skin craves the HUMIDITY!

Quote:
People dont say hi, how are you or good morning, and try saying Hi to people, many will look at you like you are out of your mind.
In all the years of living here, I've found that getting to know your neighbors is futile. They'll be polite if you approach them, but they make it clear to you that they don't want your visits to become a habit.

Quote:
If you go to the "upscale" areas like Scottsdale, it is mostly 30K millionaires with leased BMW's trying to impress you with their mindless talk.
I've been stuck living here for a number of years. Seems like the better the people are dressed, the more obnoxious they are. When I had to use a wheelchair for a while, it was unbelievable how many people would deliberately try to slam doors on me for "fun". Truly sickening.

Quote:
This is by far the most plastic, soulless, cultureless, cookie cutter city in this country.
I agree with it being plastic, but the western culture can easily be found nearby, in places like Wickenburg. It's just that Phoenix has too many Yuppies on the one hand, and illegal aliens on the other hand, neither of whom give a hoot about anything except money.

Quote:
If you are looking for a "lower cost of living", Dallas and Houston are much better than Phoenix, bearable heat and much better job market.
I disagree. The illegals are swarming into those cities, too. A lot has happened here in the Southwest in recent years...changes for the worse have been astounding.

Quote:
Phoenix in 20 years will be just like LA, even the gangs have moved to AZ because the laws are less stringent
Gangs are everywhere there's a market for drugs...which means, they're in every major city. Phoenix isn't unique in that respect.

Quote:
it is a very chaotic metro area growing outwards without planning and infra structure.
True, the infrastructure is horrible. Traffic is insane because the freeway system is a joke. Scottsdale, in particular, is very difficult to drive in, because it has only three north-south thoroughfares for nearly 250,000 people! Sure, there's a freeway nearby on the reservation...but it only goes north-south. If you want to go west into Scottsdale, you have to take the city streets, as there's no freeway going in that direction!

We're planning to move next year, because we just can't take it anymore. Sure, we'll have to put up with cold winters, but it's a small price to pay to have our sanity back.

Old 10-19-2007, 11:19 AM

1 posts, read 2,900 times
Phoenix can be very pretty - lots of sunshine and good mountain views if you look for them. We are relocating to colorado because we don't like the oppressive heat, the traffic, or the fact that my husband currently makes 90,000 per year and we can BARELY afford to live in our modest 3 bedroom near his job in scottsdale.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:37 PM

9 posts, read 39,911 times
Quote:
Hey all:

I dont want to start a riot here, but after having lived in Phoenix for 3 years, I felt like it was a big mistake, so I wanted to warn people that might be thinking about moving to Phoenix. When I first visited Phoenix, it was kinda neat, the palm trees, the desert etc, but when you actually move there, it is a different story. The heat, it does not matter how much ppl try to say that it is a "dry heat", it is just horrendous! I am currently living in Minnesota and not even a -15 F winter day in Minnesota is worse than a 115 F day in Phoenix. Because Phoenix is mostly a transplant town, it is a place with no culture! People dont say hi, how are you or good morning, and try saying Hi to people, many will look at you like you are out of your mind. It is a very plastic place, men made lakes and very superficial people. If you go to the "upscale" areas like Scottsdale, it is mostly 30K millionaires with leased BMW's trying to impress you with their mindless talk. Also, Phoenix similarly to Vegas is a "crap magnet", for whatever reason, all the trash from the South goes to Phoenix, thinking that they are going to strike gold, this migration only creates an underclass of homeless people, strippers, white supremacists,criminals, shady people, drug dealers, meth addicts, white trash etc! It is just horrible!! I dont know how the economy is now, but a few years ago, it was very weak, even jobs with the state of Arizona paid 9-10 dollars/hr, terrible!! This is by far the most plastic, soulless, cultureless, cookie cutter city in this country. If you are looking for a "lower cost of living", Dallas and Houston are much better than Phoenix, bearable heat and much better job market. Phoenix in 20 years will be just like LA, even the gangs have moved to AZ because the laws are less stringent, it is a very chaotic metro area growing outwards without planning and infra structure..I most certainly do not recommend this metro area to anybody!
you are so right!!! I have lived here for 3 years and i'm thorugh with this dump as well. yes in 20 or less years all the gangs with be here from cali because there already relocating here....if you can't stand the heat, this is no place for you. it's october and i still sweat like hell at 1AM. scottsdale is just like beverly hills or so they try to be and they are so snobby...when we al know that scottsdale has it's dirt too. as for the people here...there's everything from white to some black to tons of mexicans...nothings wrong with the hispanic culture but it is overwhelming especially when you try to get a job and the 'bilingual' person gets it over you even if your more qualified. phoenix is a hot mess and i wouldn't recommend moving here, after just 3 years i'm going crazy living in this city.....and as far as the men from here, i vowed never to date a arizona native again!

Old 10-19-2007, 03:16 PM

9 posts, read 23,827 times
just to cool down the arizona heat for a moment, i'm one arizona resident who loves this state.. i'd prefer the heat over other calamities, air pollution, congestion.. it's a little boring but considering arizona is one diverse vacation landscape, maybe i didn't explore much yet..

as some have said, to each his own.. can't please everybody..

Old 10-24-2007, 05:40 PM

975 posts, read 3,734,143 times
Why is it that the warmer states seem to catch so much flak on these forums. It's the same thing on the Florida forum, complaining about heat, bugs and other things that are common knowledge about a place. I'm sorry that anyone made a bad move, but whatever happened to doing some homework first before a move?

Quote:
Hey all:

I dont want to start a riot here, but after having lived in Phoenix for 3 years, I felt like it was a big mistake, so I wanted to warn people that might be thinking about moving to Phoenix. When I first visited Phoenix, it was kinda neat, the palm trees, the desert etc, but when you actually move there, it is a different story. The heat, it does not matter how much ppl try to say that it is a "dry heat", it is just horrendous! I am currently living in Minnesota and not even a -15 F winter day in Minnesota is worse than a 115 F day in Phoenix. Because Phoenix is mostly a transplant town, it is a place with no culture! People dont say hi, how are you or good morning, and try saying Hi to people, many will look at you like you are out of your mind. It is a very plastic place, men made lakes and very superficial people. If you go to the "upscale" areas like Scottsdale, it is mostly 30K millionaires with leased BMW's trying to impress you with their mindless talk. Also, Phoenix similarly to Vegas is a "crap magnet", for whatever reason, all the trash from the South goes to Phoenix, thinking that they are going to strike gold, this migration only creates an underclass of homeless people, strippers, white supremacists,criminals, shady people, drug dealers, meth addicts, white trash etc! It is just horrible!! I dont know how the economy is now, but a few years ago, it was very weak, even jobs with the state of Arizona paid 9-10 dollars/hr, terrible!! This is by far the most plastic, soulless, cultureless, cookie cutter city in this country. If you are looking for a "lower cost of living", Dallas and Houston are much better than Phoenix, bearable heat and much better job market. Phoenix in 20 years will be just like LA, even the gangs have moved to AZ because the laws are less stringent, it is a very chaotic metro area growing outwards without planning and infra structure..I most certainly do not recommend this metro area to anybody!

Old 10-24-2007, 05:51 PM

73 posts, read 188,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehorizons View Post
...I don't want to convince myself to stay! There are pretty desert sunsets in Phoenix right?
Mmmmmm....Yeah! If you can see it through the smog!

(Sorry! I couldn't resist!)

Old 10-24-2007, 06:40 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,965,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
Why is it that the warmer states seem to catch so much flak on these forums. It's the same thing on the Florida forum, complaining about heat, bugs and other things that are common knowledge about a place. I'm sorry that anyone made a bad move, but whatever happened to doing some homework first before a move?
You never really know a place until you physically live there, homework or no homework. Vacations don't count.

Old 10-24-2007, 06:56 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,408,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
A big part of the reason is that for some reason, the warmer climates of this country tend to have higher crime rates, lower education rates, lower wages, poorer schools - add it all together and you get a poorer quality of life. Sure, you can get a cheaper house in some of those places, but you can also get a cheaper house in Baghdad; they are cheap for a reason. But even in Southern California the schools are worse and the crime is worse then Northern California.

Interestingly, worldwide there is a similar pattern (Northern Europe is generally a higher quality of life than Southern Europe for example). Maybe there is a sociological reason for this, I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with human interaction or physiology and heat/sun. I realize this isn't scientific but I always feel much lazier in hot weather than cold weather.

But, if there is an connection, with global warming god help us.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:02 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,408,385 times
I just remembered one more connection between the seasons and anti-social behavior - crime always spikes during the summer.

Now part of that is of course because school is out of session but I think the numbers also show increases in crime by non-school age persons. Anyway, if anyone knows a book on this possible connection I would be interested.

Old 10-24-2007, 08:09 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,176,603 times
Australia and New Zealand have warm climates and high standards of living. Melbourne and Auckland are consistently rated as two of the best cities to live. Honolulu also makes this list. Of course, taxes and cost of living are higher than mainland US cities.

City Mayors: Best cities in the world (Mercer)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area