Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2007, 06:22 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,965,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorearizona View Post
Each summer got worse for me until I couldn't stand it anymore. And let's not even talk about getting into the car when it's been in the sun and is 160 degrees inside (For real, I saw it on the news, they put thermometers in cars and they are all around 160 after being parked in the sun an hour.)
I have a thermometer in my car and I've seen it up to 135. I'm sure it's been higher.

Old 09-03-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorearizona View Post
Someone I used to work with was a Chandler cop and he resigned because he was actually in danger while in the mills. He's run into gang bangers he'd previously arrested and they'd go after him in the mills. The guy was carrying two guns off duty just to feel safe in there. I don't blame him for leaving his job as a cop.

I'm glad you said the gang banger word, I didn't feel like being asked how do I know they are gang bangers.

Old 09-04-2007, 09:51 PM

376 posts, read 491,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamsandwizh View Post
Anyways, I can't stand the heat and sure I've heard it takes two summers to get use to it and I'm almost at the end of my 2nd summer and I'm not use to it.

I live in what I think is a fairly safe area, a lot of car theft but I've never had a problem but I was shot at coming home one night from work. At a 4 way intersection, I had the green light, a car was sitting at the red, right as i was going through they gunned it and cut me off, I slammed on my breaks, flashed my lights at them, didn't even honk or anything, they get over to the right lane and hit there breaks, so I speed up to pass them figuring they were just going to yell at me and as i passed they started shooting, not cool!

I have been here since 83. I not only am not used to the heat, but every year it gets worse for me. It doesn't get easier, it gets more difficult. In addition, it seems to last longer. Every year I say to myself "this is the last summer for me, next year I am outta here!" Well, thanks to my custody sitch-I am still here.
As far as the SHOOTING this is kinda the wild, wild west still. Anyone can own a gun. Anyone can STILL walk around with one on a holster. So, best to not mess with the wrong car in traffic-they will pull out a gun and shoot. Or in one case for me-they will throw out their misc. trash items from inside their vehicle at you while driving 70 mph on the freeway. (Intentionally because they didn't like my bumper stickers on my car) Not as bad as your sitch-not even close. But just another fun example of driving in Phoenix. (This was actually in Scottsdale.)

Old 10-13-2007, 06:06 AM

186 posts, read 570,686 times
I too had to leave phx because of the climate and IMO boring landscape. I'm glad that people are moving there though, especially if they move from where I live. Makes traffic easier on all the roads. Anyhow, just had to throw my name in the hat too.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:01 PM

94 posts, read 349,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Depends which mall you go to I'm afraid of Arizona Mills and Metro Center
I'ver personally never been afraid at any AZ mall I have been to, and I have even been to Desert Sky. I guess it is all how you grew up. Some of my friends from small town midwest like to stick to the Scottsdale malls because they feel they are safer. I grew up in urban diverse areas and sometimes as a child I was the minority at my school. I've seen way more thugs back east in the 80's then I have here. Personally, I don't like Desert Ridge on the weekends because it seems like every teenager that can't drive is dropped off by their parents. I am appaled at how these affluent teenagers loiter, their potty mouths and their apparent disregard for people who are actually spending money and trying to enjoy the area.

As for the original poster, Phx has something for everyone, you just need to search to find it. When I first moved here to N. Scottsdale, I hated it and cried every day for home. I thought everything was just a sea of cookie cutter tile roofs and rocks in your front yard. Over the years though I discovered the Encanto Park area and love it. I am able to afford season symphony and opera tickets here(we actually have really good companies considering people think we have no culture here!) Our art and science museums have brought some wonderful exhibits. The only thing I still really miss is the walkability of quaint shopping districts.

I will say to people though that are thinking of moving here. Do your research on more then just home prices. Yes, homes are still very affordable here compared to other metro areas. However, I spend more on utilities, insurance, and auto expenses(due to everything being so spread out) then I do on my home in SF.

Old 10-13-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azsundevil View Post
I'ver personally never been afraid at any AZ mall I have been to, and I have even been to Desert Sky. I guess it is all how you grew up. Some of my friends from small town midwest like to stick to the Scottsdale malls because they feel they are safer. I grew up in urban diverse areas and sometimes as a child I was the minority at my school. I've seen way more thugs back east in the 80's then I have here. Personally, I don't like Desert Ridge on the weekends because it seems like every teenager that can't drive is dropped off by their parents. I am appaled at how these affluent teenagers loiter, their potty mouths and their apparent disregard for people who are actually spending money and trying to enjoy the area.

As for the original poster, Phx has something for everyone, you just need to search to find it. When I first moved here to N. Scottsdale, I hated it and cried every day for home. I thought everything was just a sea of cookie cutter tile roofs and rocks in your front yard. Over the years though I discovered the Encanto Park area and love it. I am able to afford season symphony and opera tickets here(we actually have really good companies considering people think we have no culture here!) Our art and science museums have brought some wonderful exhibits. The only thing I still really miss is the walkability of quaint shopping districts.

Before we moved to upstate NY I spent 5 years in the South Bronx off of Jerome Ave and Encanto park and Arizona Mills still scares me.

Old 10-13-2007, 04:09 PM

56 posts, read 263,950 times
I couldn't agree with you more. We tried PHX for a while and always felt there was something missing. My husband is still laughing over your observation of the "30K millionaires who lease BMWs". Oh how so true. We returned to the midwest (southeastern Michigan) and when it gets cold we just remember trying to cool off in our pool at 10:00 P.M. when it was still 100 degrees.

Old 10-15-2007, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,376 times
I know this post was a while ago but to anyone else who desires to read this later Goodyear is in the west part of Phoenix and Apache Junction is in the east, not the opposite as was previously stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeache View Post
To go from extreme East(Goodyear) to extreme West (Apache Junction)

Old 10-15-2007, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbba0308 View Post
I know this post was a while ago but to anyone else who desires to read this later Goodyear is in the west part of Phoenix and Apache Junction is in the east, not the opposite as was previously stated.

It's all the same

Old 10-15-2007, 10:51 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,168,352 times
Trust me: Phoenix has many flaws-------but: if I were given the choice of living here the rest of my life or returning to Wash DC where I was born and raised; it would not be the latter.

In fact: I left DC in 1978 for the warmth and sun (Calif then Az) and have yet to return------even for a visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area