Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 11:12 AM

202 posts, read 981,288 times

Advertisements

Busting on AJ is fun, but I am actually going to move out that way when I retire. I need to be closer to the lakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2007, 11:13 AM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
That's an unincorporated area of east Mesa, not Apache Junction. There are some decent areas to live in AJ. There are still trailer parks and houses built in the early 1960's, but there are also $500k+ homes there now. You just gotta know where to look. People who write it off as nothing but trailer parks and meth-heads are using stereotypes which are over twenty years out of date.

Gilbert is much nicer than Apache Junction, but it's apples and oranges. They are totally different lifestyles. It certainly isn't for most of the people here that are looking for Pleasantville. When we left Gilbert, we bought in Mesa instead of Apache Junction simply because Maricopa county property taxes are less than Pinal.

BTW, there are section eight apartments in Gilbert too.

Doesn't matter it's close enough, that part of E Mesa and AJ are the same.

Old 08-31-2007, 01:44 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
Doesn't matter it's close enough, that part of E Mesa and AJ are the same.
No ma'am, they're not. Crismon to Ellsworth, University to Pueblo is largely a pit. The housing is denser (more labs per sq.mi.) than most of the bad areas in AJ, such as south Starr and Cortez Rds. There are a couple trailer parks on north Ironwood that are bad as well, and some of the neighborhood north of the trail behind the Golden West. Most of AJ is okay though, even if it isn't much to look at. However, Scottsdale can't hold a candle to some of it. You drove right past a pocket of beautiful custom homes on your way to Tortilla Flat (In the "v" between Hackamore and SR88). Also, on the east side of SR88 off Nodak (technically in the county just outside the city limits), there are some gorgeous places in the foothills of the Superstitions.

I worked the area for twenty one years with DPS, which gave me the benefit of working closely with MCSO, PCSO, Apache Junction PD and to a lesser extent, Mesa PD. In the early to mid-eighties, what you say was true. But it really has changed over the years in AJ, not so in where your parents lived.

Old 08-31-2007, 04:12 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,956,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
No ma'am, they're not. Crismon to Ellsworth, University to Pueblo is largely a pit. The housing is denser (more labs per sq.mi.) than most of the bad areas in AJ, such as south Starr and Cortez Rds. There are a couple trailer parks on north Ironwood that are bad as well, and some of the neighborhood north of the trail behind the Golden West. Most of AJ is okay though, even if it isn't much to look at. However, Scottsdale can't hold a candle to some of it. You drove right past a pocket of beautiful custom homes on your way to Tortilla Flat (In the "v" between Hackamore and SR88). Also, on the east side of SR88 off Nodak (technically in the county just outside the city limits), there are some gorgeous places in the foothills of the Superstitions.

I worked the area for twenty one years with DPS, which gave me the benefit of working closely with MCSO, PCSO, Apache Junction PD and to a lesser extent, Mesa PD. In the early to mid-eighties, what you say was true. But it really has changed over the years in AJ, not so in where your parents lived.

My parents ended up buying a home in AJ off of what's that exit before Gold Canyon and after Ironwood? They were Courtland homes right behind a retirement trailer park community. That wasn't so bad but it was out there.

Old 08-31-2007, 10:22 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,789,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
My parents ended up buying a home in AJ off of what's that exit before Gold Canyon and after Ironwood? They were Courtland homes right behind a retirement trailer park community. That wasn't so bad but it was out there.
Sheena, are they off of Baseline Rd? I'm not sure who the builder was, but there are many homes on the north side of Baseline, between Tomahawk and Goldfield Roads. (The exits are Ironwood-195, Idaho-196, Tomahawk-197, and Goldfield-198.) There are some pretty nice houses down there. It's like most newer neighborhoods with different price ranges. The 55+ park you referred to is probably on Goldfield. There are two there on the west side and Dolce Vita is on the east. There is also a neighborhood accessed from Tomahawk close to Baseline. The streets in that neighborhood are private and aren't maintained by the city. My wife lived in one of those in Gilbert in the early 90's. It sucked. Narrow streets that got swept maybe once a year by a parking lot sweeper.

North of the freeway along Tomahawk on the west side from US60 to Old West Hwy is an area called "Dog Patch". Mostly 2 and 4-plexes, apartments and on the north end, trailers. Your parents wouldn't be allowed to live there unless they have proof of a criminal history.

There's an area along Ironwood between Southern and Broadway on the east side that is pretty nice. No HOA but most of the properties are very well kept. All single story which I like. I have a couple of friends who live there. We almost bought a Providence Home there, but they were almost sold out and then there was the property tax issue. Providence was along the lines of Trend Homes, only better built and they gave a lot for the money.

About your comment about being "out there", it's a matter of perspective. From your view, and Ponderosa's and Sablebaby's, we are out in the sticks. From our view, it's those guys that are on the other side of the world. And where you are now, well, that's just not fair!

I've about beat this subject to death. The city of Apache Junction is not a bad place, despite it's reputation. That said, it certainly isn't for most people. It does cater to snowbirds and folks that prefer a slower lifestyle - lots and lots of horse owners there - and those of us that are content with our family life and don't need Chicago, Boston or NY "culture".

Old 09-01-2007, 12:54 AM

19 posts, read 74,606 times
Sheena, did your parents live in the sub on Baseline/Tomahawk? Right by the dump? Cracks me up people actually live there. Nice homes but right by the dump.

AJ661, we always call that part of Tomahawk the snakepit, it is a very bad area, thanks for standing up for AJ as usual.

I've lived in AJ since 1991, love it out here. Quiet, black starry nights, horses. Of course I do live in one of those very expensive properties. My kids go to great schools. Commute to E Phoenix is about 35-45 minutes, all freeway.

Nothing wrong with living in AJ, I assume the OP wants to live in a subdivision as 99.9% of people on this forum do. And we have those, they're all the same everywhere. Which is why I don't live in one and especially not in Gilbert. Blech, that has to be one of the most artificial places in the USA, fake people, fake money, fake boobs, fake tans and so on. Foreclosure rates are high there, the fake money biting them in the ass.

Check this out, I guy I have known for 20 years, lived in Maryvale, late 90's he upscaled and built himself a nice home with a pool in a sub in Chandler. This guy always ran down AJ and the trailer trash, etc. Got a call last week out of the blue, guess where he's moving? AJ, tired of the rat race, he's a big biker and knows AJ has a big biker populace. Haha. He just might live in a trailer with property too. I doubt he could afford to live where I do. I figure his ARM is adjusting.

So to sum up, AJ 2007, is not the AJ of 1987.

And the views, best part of living here, just gorgeous. I challenge anybody to show me prettier views than we have here. In the Valley. And the lakes, their okay, kinda gross but that's why you have a pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area