Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 PM

54 posts, read 224,771 times

Advertisements

...why does Apache Junction get such a bad rap. I've seen several posts where AJ is listed as places to avoid along with Mesa, S.Phoenix, etc.

What are the real problems with raising a family in a nice AJ neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 04:38 PM

202 posts, read 981,002 times
Trailer park town.

Old 08-28-2007, 04:50 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,301,938 times
Apache Junction is mainly retirees living in trailer parks, not families. There are few actual "neighborhoods" there. Also, there was the classic reference to Apache Junction in the movie, Bad Santa.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:01 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
Trailer park town.

You are hysterical

Old 08-28-2007, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post
...why does Apache Junction get such a bad rap. I've seen several posts where AJ is listed as places to avoid along with Mesa, S.Phoenix, etc.

Gives me the creeps......Probably not helpful but my opinion.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:09 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,740,820 times
We went around A.J looking for a house, but did not find very many really nice neighborhoods. We found moderately decent, but not great neighborhoods. The homes were older and the yards not so kept. Lots of trailer parks and if that is not a problem, then go for it!

Old 08-28-2007, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We went around A.J looking for a house, but did not find very many really nice neighborhoods. We found moderately decent, but not great neighborhoods. The homes were older and the yards not so kept. Lots of trailer parks and if that is not a problem, then go for it!
Apache Trail is not very appealing to drive down either as well as some of the alternatives. They do have some nice neighborhoods smooshed in here and there but overall not for me.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:16 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawk View Post

AJ (as we "old timers" like to call it) was, emphasis was on the "hippy" - "non-conforming" type.

AJ was on the way to the Lakes. It was also the stopping point on the way to the Superstition to go hunting. There were some mines in the area as well.

Over the last 10 years or so, and with the expansion of the Phoenix Metro area, AJ is going through a revival of sorts and a "modernization". New home subdivisions, new resturants, new shopping centers. Just a little to the east is Gold Canyon which is quite nice and GC is having quite an influence on AJ -

AJ remains somewhat rustic and old west. And yes, there are lots of Mobile Home parks and LOT'S AND LOT'S of winter visitors call AJ home (for at least 4 months a year -

Go out the Superstition Freeway (Hwy 60), get off on Idaho Ave, head north - from there you can go up the Apache Trail towards the 3 lakes - make sure you stop at Tortilla Flats (near Apache Lake) for a great meal - take your time though - the road is quite windy

Old 08-28-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
AJ (as we "old timers" like to call it) was, emphasis was on the "hippy" - "non-conforming" type.

AJ was on the way to the Lakes. It was also the stopping point on the way to the Superstition to go hunting. There were some mines in the area as well.

Over the last 10 years or so, and with the expansion of the Phoenix Metro area, AJ is going through a revival of sorts and a "modernization". New home subdivisions, new resturants, new shopping centers. Just a little to the east is Gold Canyon which is quite nice and GC is having quite an influence on AJ -

AJ remains somewhat rustic and old west. And yes, there are lots of Mobile Home parks and LOT'S AND LOT'S of winter visitors call AJ home (for at least 4 months a year -

Go out the Superstition Freeway (Hwy 60), get off on Idaho Ave, head north - from there you can go up the Apache Trail towards the 3 lakes - make sure you stop at Tortilla Flats (near Apache Lake) for a great meal - take your time though - the road is quite windy

We went to Tortilla Flats for the first time the last Mothers Day I spent in Arizona. It's a fun thing to do when you are new to the area, I think I would have found it exciting years ago. I was just over done with desert scenery.

Old 08-28-2007, 05:34 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena View Post
I was just over done with desert scenery.
Well, it is the desert!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area