Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:01 AM

58 posts, read 186,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Well stated with one small quibble: there is no 'Hispanic' race.
There is no such thing as race, period. It's a made up social construct. Our race is human.

Quote:
Most people of Mexican background are; genetically speaking, Native American whereas Argentina, also a Hispanic country the people there are 97% White, racially speaking.
Is that why a lot of Nazis fled Europe for Argentina when the allied forces took control during WWII?

Quote:
The main reason that many Latinos identify as 'Hispanic' is due to the terrible White Supremacist prejudice in their own cultures------to wit: the standard of beauty is white skin and blue eyes.
I thought 'Hispanic' was a catch all category for anyone whose ancestry/origin was in one of the countries where Spanish is spoken. I just thought of something... I wonder how would the gov't categorize an immigrant from Equatorial Guinea where Spanish is the predominate, and official, language.

Quote:
I personally feel a sense of disgust whenever I see a telenovela depicting Spanish speakers as unabashedly Anglo in appearance.
It's the legacy of slavery and discrimination under colonialism. Central and South America were a part of the Atlantic Slave Trade. More Africans were taken to South America than to the U.S, and almost as many were taken to Central America. Here's my source. You will find messed up notions about race (such as your example of no Spanish speakers of color in telenovelas because of the adherence to the European standard of beauty) in every country that was a participant in the Atlantic Slave Trade.

Quote:
If I were of Aztec, etc. heritage I most likely would not claim Hispanic------that was the 'race' of people (Spaniards of 500 years ago) who de facto enslaved and demeaned in particular the indigenous women.
The U.S. Census forms don't limit them to just choosing Hispanic. They do that and then specifically identify themselves.

Quote:
Google Soledad O'brien; she is claimed by the Blacks and Hispanics due to her Afro-Carribean mother and Irish courtesy of her Australian father.
I don't know how Soledad identifies herself, but if it's not as black or hispanic then black and hispanics need to stop claiming her. I hate it when we (I'm black) try to claim people who don't claim us. I am a firm believer in what the writer Zora Neale Hurston wrote: "All my skinfolk ain't my kinfolk".

Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,158,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rochelle View Post
There is no such thing as race, period. It's a made up social construct. Our race is human.
We are the same species: look at a collection of generic housecats for a similar analogy; they come in many colors, hair types and sizes. In other words; I would agree.

Quote:
Is that why a lot of Nazis fled Europe for Argentina when the allied forces took control during WWII?
I am 99.9% sure you are correct. In fact: Francisco Franco of Spanish Civil War infamy was supported by the Nazis so precedent was set for a Spanish speaking White majority country to be a haven for their kind (Nazis who committed war crimes [Adolf Eichmann was a prime example]).

Quote:
I thought 'Hispanic' was a catch all category for anyone whose ancestry/origin was in one of the countries where Spanish is spoken. I just thought of something... I wonder how would the gov't categorize an immigrant from Equatorial Guinea where Spanish is the predominate, and official, language.
Under US Gov't gudelines; a person from Guinea would be Hispanic.

Quote:
It's the legacy of slavery and discrimination under colonialism. Central and South America were a part of the Atlantic Slave Trade. More Africans were taken to South America than to the U.S, and almost as many were taken to Central America. Here's my source. You will find messed up notions about race (such as your example of no Spanish speakers of color in telenovelas because of the adherence to the European standard of beauty) in every country that was a participant in the Atlantic Slave Trade.
Sad to say; again you are essentially correct.

Quote:
The U.S. Census forms don't limit them to just choosing Hispanic. They do that and then specifically identify themselves.
No argument there.

Quote:
I don't know how Soledad identifies herself, but if it's not as black or hispanic then black and hispanics need to stop claiming her. I hate it when we (I'm black) try to claim people who don't claim us. I am a firm believer in what the writer Zora Neale Hurston wrote: "All my skinfolk ain't my kinfolk".
Soledad O'Brien bio

And; Ms O'Brien is a member of both of these organizations:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ck_Journalists

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nationa...ic_Journalists

Never mind that in Brazil she would likely be considered White------in most of Latin American in general the 'reverse' One Drop rule applies, if a person is not fully Black (Jason Kidd the basketball player comes to mind), he/she tends to be labeled blanco (white).

Old 09-15-2007, 06:33 PM

163 posts, read 526,180 times
Black Americans tried embracing Africans as "family", but many rejected us because, again, they identify by nationality and ethnic group, not skin color and that's how they socialize. They didn't want anything to do with us. Yes, there is sometimes enmity between Africans and black Americans because Africans come here and take advantage of all the opportunites that black Americans paid the price to get, but snub their noses at us.

What a lot of people don't realize is that blacks from other parts of the world only know about American blacks from what is shown in the media. Amazingly, food and medicine might not reach Africans, but our music, news and movies do. The same negative stereotypes about us that exist here gets EXPORTED all over the world, and with nothing to counterbalance it, that's what Africans (and others) think black Americans are like. When they come to the States they have already tried and judged us and found us guilty.

Sometimes they will befriend black Americans, but this is usually after they have observed them and interacted with them and deemed them to be "acceptable" (of course the black American person doesn't know this). I know what I speak about because I observed all this up close and personal (I was married to a West African man).[/quote]

Hi Rochelle, I will tell you this from personal experience that Black Americans are generally accepted in all the African countries I have been to as well as in many other countries. I actually lived in South Africa for 3+ years and travelled into five other African nations during this decade.
Sadly, it is when Africans (an many other ethnic groups) move to America that they tend to change. many really do change once they come here. Africans in Africa tend to be very different and much more accepting to AA than when they come here to these shores. Not knocking America, I love my country passionately but this observation seems to be true though I'm not exactly sure of the reasons why.
As far as negative potrayal of AA's in South Africa, for example, they have had exposure to both negative (Rikki Lake and Jerry Springer) and positive portrayal of ALL Americans. The Cosby show was a huge hit in South Africa and the people embraced it's positive portrayal of 'black life' more than any other show at the time. Also Oprah has long been one of their top programs for some time.
The rest of the world tends to see AA's differently and in some cases more positively than we see ourselves. I think because of our history in this country we are too introspective which leads to too much focus on what others think about us and not enough about what the Creator thinks about us. Which is all good!

Old 09-15-2007, 08:19 PM

477 posts, read 1,584,173 times
Quote:
Young children don't see color. They just see how people act toward them. I think your children (I don't refer to children as 'kids'; they are not baby goats (said my father ) will be fine, but it really depends on what their peers are learning at home. You probably need to keep your eyes open when it comes to the adults they'll be around at school, etc. They are the ones who already have formed concrete opinions and stereotypes and may act accordingly toward your children.
I definately watch who they interact with and how the parent's of other kids act. It's funny because although my kids are well liked and get good grades, are good kids and have alot of friends.....the friends they have are mainly "at" school. They don't get invited to alot of things. We haven't made alot of friends here....some, but I often wonder if that is because we are a mixed couple and people aren't too sure about what that's all about. Although Im not black, I have experiienced racism from whites and other races. My husband always says, when Im out with him and/or my kids...I'm black. Do you understand that? Because people in my family don't get it...they think he's crazy!!

My question to you was more about when they are grown. What will they identify with? I wonder about that. I see already for my niece and nephews(who are of the same make-up) that the blacks stick together in their highschool, and that is who accepts them and wants to hang around them.

It's funny though (I just remembered this)my son, who is 12, said he has this black kid in one of his classes who mentioned to another student that my son was "trying to be black"...what the heck does that mean....I wonder???

Old 09-15-2007, 10:09 PM

937 posts, read 2,835,613 times
Quote:
Be for real. There are about 300 million Americans in the 50 states: about 35 million blacks (12.3% of the population) and about 212 million whites (75.1% of the population). How the bleep can it be equally divided on both sides? See, it's outrageously ignorant comments like that that are a part of the problem. And, y'all actually are at a loss as to why black people (the ones who care) get frustrated and angry and shut down communication when this topic is raised. Is it any wonder, when we keep getting responses like this? Gee whiz!

Are some black people racist towards whites? Yes. Do some black people act on that racism? Yes. But, the truth is that whites act on their racism towards blacks very much more than racist blacks do to whites.

Again, stop trying to justify it and/or minimize white racism by pointing out that some blacks are racist, too. Yep, some are, but does that justify white racism? No. (An aside: black racism is a direct result of, as a reaction to, white racism.) In my book there is no justification for racism, by anyone, period. It all needs to stop.

Prove that whites act on it more. Prove it. I hear more crap from blacks on a daily basis that something happened to them because they're black than I ever, EVER heard a white person say to them. I was at a store today shopping, and a black family had to be sent to another line because they were in a return like, not a regular checkout. Their response? Because Im black! Know what everyone else did? Laugh at them. You need to quit blaming whites for your problems. You claim there wouldnt be any black on white racism if it wasnt for whites doing it in the first place. Get real. A black person tells them they're in the wrong line and its fine. A white person does and suddenly the world is upside down. Im tired of having to tip toe on glass for the feeling that a black person will get "offended" if I dont show them more feeling than a white person. Fact is, when blacks feel something happened because of racism, more chances than not its because of their own fault and would have happened even if they were white.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:30 PM

55 posts, read 189,104 times
True!

-----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl118 View Post
Socially speaking - like what? So does that mean that I can ask where I can socialize apart from African Americans because of my own cultural differences or would that make me racist because I am white?

I see a lot of threads started like..."Black family moving into blah blah area" - or "Need black hairstylist" - "need a black church" - "need a black bar/club" - I find this quite bothersome that one would feel compelled to announce that they feel they are so different. Fact is that a white person would be slammed with hind up against the wall if they post, "white family moving to blah blah blah" - or - "where is a place I can hang out with a mostly white crowd - people like me?"

We all bleed the same color and cry the same tears, last time I checked.

My two cents.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:40 PM

Well then, clearly, you are the exception.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't be mad at you. I don't base my worth on who wants or doesn't want to be in my company. And, I also don't think it's racist to want to socialize with people of your own ethnicity or culture. Wanting to do that doesn't mean you hate other groups of people, and that's what folks need to come to understand. People throw the term racism/racist around without knowing what it means. Racism is a tool of oppression. A certain group of people not wanting to hang out with you after work may hurt your feelings, but it isn't oppression. Ergo, it's not racist.

I'm from a different part of the country, so my answer will probably shock you, but these questions can be (and at one time were) ones of life or death where I'm from. It is amazing to me that most white people expect an entire race of people to completely shake off, and completely recover, from 345 years of oppression in just 43 years.

Where do I get my numbers? The first blacks came to America in 1619. Black people did not get their constitutional rights universally protected and enforced until the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was passed. 1619-1964 is 345 years. 1964-present is 43 years.

I make the distinction because while there have always been those blacks who were successful and wealthy well before then, their success was dependent on the benevolence of at least one fair(er) minded white man who vouched for them to the other white men (so they would leave the black man and his family alone) - but that was not the norm. So, I count from when ALL black people had the same opportunities across the board (whether or not they took advantage of them).

I wouldn't slam them. People have a right to associate with whom they will. And, as I've already said, wanting to socialize with your own doesn't mean you hate people who are different.

What does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

Old 09-15-2007, 10:51 PM

751 posts, read 1,180,322 times
It seems like African Americans are the ONLY people that always rave about being different, having a different culture, etc, maybe that is the problem?! I have friends from all ethnic backgrounds (Italian, Greek, German, Portuguese, Hispanics) and although the first immigrants were certainly into their culture, over time, people assimilate and become just Americans, now why isnt this the case with African Americans? I have been noticing how Hispanics are becoming more and more Americanized and they are really becoming more and more influential in American society, the "survival of the fittest" theory is perfect, the more fit you are, the greater the chances for survival. Maybe it is time to let go of all these "subcultures" and start being just Americans, not something slash American.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:33 PM

Right. The problem isn't that blacks want "equality" but it's their push for preferential treatment that gets others' fired up about having their own rights stomped on as a result, that's the problem.
Additionally, a large percentage of blacks have huge chips on their shoulders if they're not allowed to do as they please, like checking out in the return line, as was the previous example. I've seen similar examples numerous times myself.
And rochelle, I don't know from where you pulled the "statistic" that whites act on their racism more often than blacks but I strongly disagree. The media likes to exploit the white on black racial crime and general unrest but not the black on white.
A friend of mine here in Chicago, who is a cop for the city on the South side, asked me a couple years ago if I had heard on the news or in print media about "the white truck driver pulled from his truck and beaten with bats and fists by a group of blacks?" He also asked me about two other cases of black on white violence to which he was dispatched and arrived on scene, also within that same two week period. I answered "no", as I had not. To which he responded "OF COURSE YOU DIDN'T! AND YOU DIDN'T HEAR ABOUT ANY OF THESE BLACK ON WHITE BEATING CALLS THAT I'VE RESPONDED OVER THE LAST 7 YEARS!"
He pointed out that the white on black crimes are extremely rare but when they do occur, the media jumps all over it...and they do.
And the media perpetuates and instigates and inflames and gets people all wound up.
And certain political groups and their affiliates like to get certain minority groups upset by spreading lies/embellishments for just long enough to step back in again and calm things down again while making themselves look like heros...when, to reiterate, they got it started in the first place!
Every group has been enslaved and treated poorly throughout history, it's human nature and it will never change until the return of the Savior himself!

------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Prove that whites act on it more. Prove it. I hear more crap from blacks on a daily basis that something happened to them because they're black than I ever, EVER heard a white person say to them. I was at a store today shopping, and a black family had to be sent to another line because they were in a return like, not a regular checkout. Their response? Because Im black! Know what everyone else did? Laugh at them. You need to quit blaming whites for your problems. You claim there wouldnt be any black on white racism if it wasnt for whites doing it in the first place. Get real. A black person tells them they're in the wrong line and its fine. A white person does and suddenly the world is upside down. Im tired of having to tip toe on glass for the feeling that a black person will get "offended" if I dont show them more feeling than a white person. Fact is, when blacks feel something happened because of racism, more chances than not its because of their own fault and would have happened even if they were white.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:53 PM

1,617 posts, read 2,640,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
This is kind of sad, that you would think the actions of a few speak for many others. Obviously the people you encountered are ignorant. I know I try to keep an open mind, I can't just see a story on the news about a racial crime or something similar brought up by a white person and think "oh they must all be like that" Yes, there are some but it doesn't mean that the actions of a few should mean that everyone in one group can be lumped together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area