Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 12:00 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,638,147 times

Advertisements

[QUOTE I see a lot of threads started like..."Black family moving into blah blah area" - or "Need black hairstylist" - "need a black church" - "need a black bar/club" - I find this quite bothersome that one would feel compelled to announce that they feel they are so different QUOTE]

I just had to comment on the "Need Black Hairstylist" comment...

My regular barber was out sick so I went into a mall to get my haircut at a department store shop. When I came up to the desk, the told me to have a seat. I started to see a few of the workers scurring around and I heard some mumbling at the desk. The receptionist then called me up to the desk and said "I'm sorry, but we don't have anyone here who specializes in black hair" So I had to go find another place to get my haircut.

It may sound ridiculous to you that sometimes a black hair stylist is needed, but in many cases it's necessary because many regular salons or barber shops can't handle the different needs of black hair.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:34 AM

87 posts, read 643,071 times
JHLCT, what type of haircut were you trying to get?

Old 09-16-2007, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
JHLCT, what type of haircut were you trying to get?
Just a regular one. My hair is short so they would need to use clippers.

Old 09-16-2007, 12:49 AM

67 posts, read 148,033 times
Im not black im half mexican and half (1st generation) sicillian. But i just want to say that if white people in this country had the things that black people had such as the million man march(for whites only) or all white colleges (kinda like howard that only allows blacks) or if there was a white jesse jackson that only fought for whites like he only fights for blacks. Or if there were groups like the naacp (for white people only) or if there was something called wet(white entertainment tv) like bet (black entertainment tv) The whites would get pure hell from the blacks and all their organizations. Al sharpton would have a heart attack from yelling so much!!!!! And something i asked my 4th grade teacher that to this day still hasnt been answered Is why does martin luther king get a holiday but john f. kenndy who was the president of the united states and who was also assassinated to this day still does not have a day of remebrance for him???? Dont you think by having all these things your segrating yourselves and doing to other races what the white people did to you???? Having your pride & loving your culture are a beautiful thing I know because i love mine. But this is 2007 and i truly believe by the black community having all the things that i mentioned above your excluding your self no ones doing it to you . Just look at the name of this thread!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 12:55 AM

8,321 posts, read 13,450,418 times
So, if I said I was looking for a nice black girl under, say, 38 years of age, would that be racist even though I am white?
I am not saying 'no' to South American, Asian or White ladies but what if I simply prefer black ladies? May be I dated the other races, ethnicities, etc. and I like the black ladies the most whether it is their character, whether the softnest of their skin or whether the way they look at a relationship.
Would that make me a racist? a freak? a weirdo?
Next time a black guy/girl/family uses the 'race' (Cause I am Black?!) as an excuse, perhaps you'd share your sentiment with him/her/them at the specific time and location instead of looking at every Black person like they can or will act that way as well?

This whole racial debate's getting/gotten ugly guys, what point are you trying to make?
Is someone supposed to win this argument? And gain what?
Let is go...please.

I can't believe all the hatred and negativity people hold inside like they live more than once.

I can't remember which comedian said it but he was right, all humans gotta fornicate with each other till we all look like the singer of "Fine Young Cannibals".

Old 09-16-2007, 04:15 AM

55 posts, read 189,054 times
I agree 110%.
There is a huge double standard in this country, this is in large part why the majority resent and are generally unresponsive to the plight of the minority. Nobody wants to be told that their rights, for example, free speech, are no longer valid. While at the same time another group are allowed to say whatever they please. To continue with this example, black comedians can curse dumb, incapable of humping, jumping or dancing "whitey" up and down. We all know this would not play out this way if the colors were reversed.
As a side note, what makes me sickest about that are the truly stupid white people sitting in the audience and laughing and nodding their heads.
Your freedom of speech is gone America! You should either have freedom to say anything or everyone should lose the right all together. Not somebody or some group dictating what is ok for you to say and then not doing the same for another.
This is partly how today's pro black groups and leaders seem to be getting nowhere. They set their cause back five steps every time they take one step forward. Americans don't like being stepped on, or being told that their rights are being pulled out from beneath them. Americans resent that another group is not fighting for equal rights as they falsely claim, but rather preferential treatment. The days of Martin Luther King Jr are over. He fought for basic equality and did it peacefully to boot. He took baby steps and the Americans at that time were coming around and were accepting more than they had ever before. If MLK Jr would've continued at that pace and with his attitude, I believe today's black American would be much further along in terms of equality and overall respect.
Today's pro black leaders are actually ruining the chance of today's black American at ever truly being treated equally and without resentment and prejudice, for the reasons mentioned above.

-----------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandosgirl View Post
Im not black im half mexican and half (1st generation) sicillian. But i just want to say that if white people in this country had the things that black people had such as the million man march(for whites only) or all white colleges (kinda like howard that only allows blacks) or if there was a white jesse jackson that only fought for whites like he only fights for blacks. Or if there were groups like the naacp (for white people only) or if there was something called wet(white entertainment tv) like bet (black entertainment tv) The whites would get pure hell from the blacks and all their organizations. Al sharpton would have a heart attack from yelling so much!!!!! And something i asked my 4th grade teacher that to this day still hasnt been answered Is why does martin luther king get a holiday but john f. kenndy who was the president of the united states and who was also assassinated to this day still does not have a day of remebrance for him???? Dont you think by having all these things your segrating yourselves and doing to other races what the white people did to you???? Having your pride & loving your culture are a beautiful thing I know because i love mine. But this is 2007 and i truly believe by the black community having all the things that i mentioned above your excluding your self no ones doing it to you . Just look at the name of this thread!!!!!!

Old 09-16-2007, 07:14 AM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
This is kind of sad, that you would think the actions of a few speak for many others. Obviously the people you encountered are ignorant. I know I try to keep an open mind, I can't just see a story on the news about a racial crime or something similar brought up by a white person and think "oh they must all be like that" Yes, there are some but it doesn't mean that the actions of a few should mean that everyone in one group can be lumped together.

Im not lumping them all together because I know ALOT of ones that I socialize with that wouldnt say those kinds of things, nor act that way! They arent part of this conversation.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:32 AM

21,144 posts, read 42,134,028 times
Easy guys:

I can under both sides of the coin here.

As for prejudice; I am pretty sure that I had my share of it due to my family name-------it sounds very Hispanic despite my being of Hungarian/Anglo American heritage. Never mind the fact that I am tall and Nordic white in appearance. A legal name change rectified that problem

That said; my biggest problem by far was my flagrantly dysfunctional 'upbringing'......having a Paranoid Schizophrenic 'mother' did not help matters-------in other words: my issues were not society's fault.

The 'Black' hair thing I had to chuckle about; I have known several White people with real Afros.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:05 AM

163 posts, read 525,805 times
[quote=user name;1508239]I agree 110%.
There is a huge double standard in this country, this is in large part why the majority resent and are generally unresponsive to the plight of the minority. Nobody wants to be told that their rights, for example, free speech, are no longer valid. While at the same time another group are allowed to say whatever they please. To continue with this example, black comedians can curse dumb, incapable of humping, jumping or dancing "whitey" up and down. We all know this would not play out this way if the colors were reversed.

As a black person I agree with you on this issue. You are absolutely correct.

This is partly how today's pro black groups and leaders seem to be getting nowhere. They set their cause back five steps every time they take one step forward. Americans don't like being stepped on, or being told that their rights are being pulled out from beneath them. Americans resent that another group is not fighting for equal rights as they falsely claim, but rather preferential treatment. The days of Martin Luther King Jr are over. He fought for basic equality and did it peacefully to boot. He took baby steps and the Americans at that time were coming around and were accepting more than they had ever before. If MLK Jr would've continued at that pace and with his attitude, I believe today's black American would be much further along in terms of equality and overall respect.

I do not see myself as a 'minority'. To me that is a derogatory term as in "inferior". I am just as good and as capable as any, but I know that a lot of so-called minorities struggle to see themselves in the same way. I never have and never will tell my chidlren that they are a minority.
As far as equality, no one should have to earn equality. Everyone should need to earn respect but equality should not be conditional. Respect is something that is first aquired inwardly. To depend on another man's criteria of respect is to be held captive to someone else's stardard of righteousness.

Old 09-16-2007, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Im not lumping them all together because I know ALOT of ones that I socialize with that wouldnt say those kinds of things, nor act that way! They arent part of this conversation.
OK that is cool...as long as you recognize the difference that goes a long way in bridging the gap in both sides.

I think thats what's needed in conversations like this, a lot of good back & forth without being mean or negative to help break down stereotypes & such.

I have to say too, in response to the original topic that being here in AZ is so much different than on the East Coast, so many of the things or feelings that one expereinces out there become less of an issue here.

So to the OP, I say come on out, you will find places to socalize and cool people to socalize with
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area