Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 12:58 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times

Advertisements

I hope they leave after this season. It's a huge example of taxpayer fraud. I've never heard them mentioned at my west side high school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 01:01 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
they are definitely not overacheiving ..... this is 3 years running of fairly consistent play - definitely not a fluke that they are where they are

however, they are what they are and we definitely agree on most of the real pertinent stuff

not cup contenders - but a very competative team that will give anyone fits over a 7 game series, although they simply don't have enough fire power to pull it off

there is some good & exciting team speed, some good physical players and they play smart hockey across all lines ...... they don't play wide open, but they aren't exactly packing it all back on defense either and just mucking up the whole game

pending matchup I could see them winning a 1st round series - but I don't see them going beyond that

Old 04-04-2012, 02:17 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I hope they leave after this season. It's a huge example of taxpayer fraud. I've never heard them mentioned at my west side high school.
Agreed, they scammed taxpayers into paying for the new arena and not long after it was built they attempted to extort even more money from taxpayers with their threats to leave town. I say it is long past time for these leeches to move on and fleece the taxpayers of another city.

Old 04-04-2012, 02:21 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
I despite being a diehard lifelong Giants and Islanders fan who has seen 4 Super Bowls and 4 Stanley Cups in my lifetime hopes to see Phoenix someday win atleast one. I plan on being here awhile but the fandom towards your teams,or lack of, is a disgrace !
You live here yet you are a Giants and Islanders fan?

Hold the phone. Late edit.

I just checked your old posts and saw you were adopting the Cardinals. Good for you. I take back everything evil I was thinking about you. As long as you don't wear blue in UoP, we're good. )

Last edited by DewDropInn; 04-04-2012 at 02:50 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 03:45 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
they are definitely not overacheiving ..... this is 3 years running of fairly consistent play - definitely not a fluke that they are where they are
For the talent on that roster, they are most definitely overachieving thanks in large part to Tippet. They shouldn't even be in the playoffs. The amount of effort given is tremendous. I'm definitely proud of them but also feel bad for them because the players deserve better. They deserve a real owner who is willing to make them better. They also deserve a stadium that is more centrally located so they can get better fan attendance.

And to the rest on this forum, why shouldn't ASU receive more attention? It's the only major university in the city and our only Division I college sports anything. College sports is sorely lacking here but most Phoenix residents are transplants and can remember what it was like to have a viable college team near them. Blame Michael Crow and the boosters for failing to hire a real AD and for failing to spend the money to hiring the proper coaches. There is simply no reason ASU shouldn't be a top college in football and basketball. They should be like Ohio State, Texas, Florida, LSU, Michigan, and Oklahoma to name a few schools. It's the nations largest university in a top 5 city with great weather and a beautiful campus. Playboy ranked it the #1 party school with the best looking female co-eds. That shouldn't be a tough draw for a major athlete. ASU has so many advantages over these other top schools if their President and boosters would step it up and hire real head coaches who can recruit, they would have great sports.

Old 04-04-2012, 04:53 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,779,962 times
ASU Football is probably the fairest priced entertainment in the Valley. Saturday football is almost always more enjoyable to me, and at the same time it emphasizes and glorifies good universities. Pro sports, OTOH, are kind of like Christmas, they bring out the worst in people and teach kids to be greedy.

Last edited by khuntrevor; 04-04-2012 at 05:45 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 08:50 PM

150 posts, read 305,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
For the talent on that roster, they are most definitely overachieving thanks in large part to Tippet. They shouldn't even be in the playoffs. The amount of effort given is tremendous. I'm definitely proud of them but also feel bad for them because the players deserve better. They deserve a real owner who is willing to make them better. They also deserve a stadium that is more centrally located so they can get better fan attendance.

Whats funny is that if you compare them with a team like the Maple Leafs the Coyotes have actually had more success the past few years. The Maple Leafs are supposedly one of the most valuable teams in pro sports, the tickets are some of the hardest to get, they are one of the highest in attendance in the league, etc. etc. yet the Coyotes have made the playoffs more in the last five years then the leafs. Actually the leafs haven't made the playoffs since 04. You can say what you want about talent on the roster and overachieving but someone somewhere in the organization is doing their job better then they are in Toronto.

Old 04-05-2012, 03:02 PM

170 posts, read 325,990 times
Phoenix will lose its hockey team, because it has never been able to support one. Thats why the team is bankrupt and why they cant fill the stadium. No amount of taxpayer dollars will be able to help the Coyotes. You cant force a market where there isnt one. Hockey is a sport meant to be played in cold climates. The question is where will the Coyotes relocate? Their best options are Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, Kansas City or Cleveland.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:39 PM

6,405 posts, read 8,987,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normcrok8 View Post
Phoenix will lose its hockey team, because it has never been able to support one. Thats why the team is bankrupt and why they cant fill the stadium. No amount of taxpayer dollars will be able to help the Coyotes. You cant force a market where there isnt one. Hockey is a sport meant to be played in cold climates. The question is where will the Coyotes relocate? Their best options are Seattle, Portland, Salt Lake, Kansas City or Cleveland.
Because hockey in Cleveland never failed, right? Can you offer an insights to your city recommendations or are you just blindly repeating the cities mentioned elsewhere. Salt Lake City?

Old 04-05-2012, 06:05 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
No.

They probably also don't want to realize that in the not so recent past that Phoenix has "supported" their team more than chicago, st. louis and many other cities.

However, that is pretty much a stale topic that has been beaten to death over the past 3 years.

At this point I just try to ignore the ignorance and most of the other mess ...... i'm now at "what will be will be" as it's all completely out of any of our hands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area