Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:19 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,735,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I don't know, I hope they go far but not against St Louis, cause that's my team
I'd probably rather them get 7th or 8th and win a series, that is the better option versus winning division, but losing first round. The title is nice, but you wanna go as far as you can, I'd think.
I enjoyed watching them (on TV) before I moved here. I would like to see them do well even if they do get moved.
It's ALL about matchups and always will be. Very few Presidents Cup Winners win the Stanley Cup. 1/3 of winning is health, 1/3 getting hot for a couple months and a 1/3 avoiding bad draws.Phoenix Goalie Smith has been streaky but he is capable of stealing a series. I think St Louis is our most beatable opponent regardless of the Coyotes win tonight over your Blues. I feel your Blues got hot and peaked too early this year and are sputtering a bit. Maybe teams figured them out and stopped taking them lightly.

Chicago and Detroit are battle tested champs. Feel both are sandbagging a bit since you had the division wrapped up a couple weeks ago. I feel the 3 spot is worse than the 7 or 8 for reasons just explained. Guess tomorrow at Minnesota will determine their fate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 11:27 PM

8,053 posts, read 12,325,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The location is hurting the team. And this is not picking on the West Side, if you put the team in Gilbert, you would have the same issues. The team needs to be more centrally located where businesses, lawyers etc can purchase suites and take clients to games. A lot of the big money is avoiding the Coyotes because the location is impractical and people are not going to drive an hour to see them during the week. It is a tragedy because if Los Arcos had become the home of the Coyotes, a lot of these problems would have been avoided. You can get away with NFL games in Glendale because there are only 8 home games and they are all on Sunday but hockey is not practical in Glendale.

The only way hockey will survive in Glendale is if the team were to obtain a great owner who invested in the team and made them a contender. The Valley would jump on the bandwagon and people would be excited and attend games. But a mediocre to above average team is not going to succeed in Glendale.
That's exactly right ... and I've said all along that plunking a hockey stadium in the middle of west Valley cotton fields was a bad idea. It needed to be kept in a more centralized location. A lot of the reason why it went in that location can be traced to the activists in the west Valley who whined and threw tantrums about the east Valley getting most of the amenities. Boo hoo hoo. The fact of the matter is that you can't expect something like this to succeed without infrastructure. There was none of that out there ... and even now, development is very very limited in area surrounding Westgate. I find it very unappealing.

I would like the Coyotes to stay in the Valley ... and contrary to what others have said, I truly believe there are enough NHL fans here. But you're right that even with the Coyotes' somewhat above average record this year, attendance in its present location is limited. I wouldn't shed one tear if Westgate crumbled to the ground, and the Coyotes moved to downtown Phoenix, Scottsdale, or Tempe.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:33 PM

I am going to San Diego later next week but will be back in time in hopes that there is a Game 5. I plan on making the drive to Glendale. Congrats on winning the Pacific Division tonight. Given the large Midwestern population here, I hope there aren't more Blackhawks fans in attendance. Regardless, Tippett should win the Jack Adams Trophy hands down. A team with no owner and adverse working conditions, this is a Hoosiers type of story. Goaltender Smith is Jimmy Chitwood. Beat the Blackhawks !

Old 04-07-2012, 10:49 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,542,428 times
Well, they won their first division title, so we get option A.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, they won their first division title, so we get option A.
I do feel STL or VAN would be a better draw from a matchup standpoint Observer. Having been an NHL fan from back east since the 1970's, I realize matchups mean more than seeds. Very few Presidents Cup Winners (Best regular season record) win Stanley Cups. As stated, part of the battle is avoiding bad matchups, staying healthy and a little Lady Luck. Rangers and Canucks are #1 seeds. They to me are more beatable than the mid seeds like Pittsburgh and Chicago. It's all about matchups and I am not about to rain on anyone's parade despite the fact that I feel the Blues or Canucks would be a better draw.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:35 AM

To further emphasize my point. The NHL Playoffs are the most physically demanding of the 4 major sports. Yes, the NBA has a similar playoff format. However, running on the hardwood and dealing with skating on ice with collisions are two different animals.

I look at the NFL. I think a reason it's #1 in this country is the best team can be knocked out in one playoff game. In the NHL and NBA, the best team usually wins in a 7 game set. As a NY Giants fan, we weren't the best team in the NFL. However, the 49ers did us a huge favor knocking out the Saints who have owned us for years. Regardless of the sport, my point is matchups mean more than seeds. The Blackhawks are a battle tested team and I am nervous about this matchup despite the Coyotes winning 3 of 4 regular season games. I wish them the best regardless.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:33 AM

6,408 posts, read 9,028,166 times
It's going to be a tough series for the Coyotes but I think they will prevail in 7. I'll gladly cheer 'em on until (if/when) they encounter the Wings.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:36 PM

283 posts, read 329,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post

Sorry but unlike most people who bash Phoenix sports fans, I am one of them and actually attend games and go to bars to watch them and this is a GREAT sports town that gets a bad rap. The sports fans here are passionate. They don't get into fights or call in on radio shows because they are educated and employed but I guess you have to be like Philly fans to be considered a "real sports fan"
Nice job, stereotyping a whole city. I'm employed, educated (going for Masters) and dont get into fights. I'm from Philly and unlike some random, west coast cities () we actually support our teams.

Heard KC has a brand spanking new arena just waiting for the Yotes to show up...

Good day.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:39 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,273,750 times
yep ... i remember sitting in the vet on many days when that stadium was full of phillies fans when I lived there (97-02)

oh wait, no .... it was an incredibly easy ticket and you could buy a $5 GA ticket and sit pretty much anywhere except the boxes

the A-10 tournament was also very popular in a town that has some incredible college basketball (seriously, it does) ........ but that tournament was always a flop which is why it's not there anymore

not to mention the love for the sixers post iverson ....... they are finally starting to draw well again

philly isn't unlike most towns in that the more a team wins the more support they get ....... if a dry spell happens the fans stay home

enjoy bryz in the playoffs ...... his 5 hole become larger and more vast than "the universe"

Old 04-11-2012, 09:00 AM

150 posts, read 306,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonBradu View Post

Heard KC has a brand spanking new arena just waiting for the Yotes to show up...

Good day.

Since it was built in 07 they've also tried getting the Islanders, Penguins, Predators, and Clippers to move to KC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area