Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 01:09 PM

603 posts, read 947,442 times

Advertisements

Agreed with Changing Hands. Great local business.

While we're on the subject of local pizza. Oregano's is doing it right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 04:03 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,134 times
I would love to find locally owned restaurants but I do find they're usually average food for a high price. And if you do find a great one then it 'catches on', the owners open a few more, and it all goes downhill because they're spread too thin or don't try as hard or something. It's no wonder we turn to consistent stand-by chains.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,055,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadyFreddy View Post
I would love to find locally owned restaurants but I do find they're usually average food for a high price. And if you do find a great one then it 'catches on', the owners open a few more, and it all goes downhill because they're spread too thin or don't try as hard or something. It's no wonder we turn to consistent stand-by chains.
Sounds like #1 Brothers pizza in Cave Creek. Great pizza (we think) at a fair price run by an older Italian guy. He's gotten fairly successful so there's a few more of them now that I think he franchised out to family but at least one of the others (Cotton/Greenway) really is horrible.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 PM

7,193 posts, read 4,778,775 times
I also try to support local businesses, and I have found quite a few. But, for other things, I just have to go to national chains. Here are a few:

My home and auto insurance is handled by a State Farm agent in downtown Glendale. I've done business with her for 15 years. Outstanding service every time.

Photos restoration: Old Town Photo in old downtown Glendale. The owner does the work herself-she's awesome.

Dry cleaners and clothing alterations: a little shop on Glendale Avenue right before you get to Luke AFB. It's next to a topless bar I've been going there for 15 years-never a problem & no, I haven't gone to the bar

Pizza: La Piazza al Forno in downtown Glendale.

Automobiles & Auto maintenance: Avondale Toyota. I don't care if they charge a bit more that whomever. They have handled warranties, recalls, complicated things and simple things. NEVER been given lip or attitude. There have been times when they didn't even charge me because it was a small matter. I get outstanding service and I'm not giving that up.

Paint: Ace Hardware on Dysart Road.

Olive Oil: The Olive Gourmet in Park West Mall. Awesome supply of different Olive Oils, especially the Herbs d' Provence & the Blood Orange Olive Oil.

Pet Day Camp & Boarding: Camp Bow Wow in Peoria.

Vegetarian Restaurant: Chakra 4 in the Arcadia area. I like Pita Jungle also, but Chakra 4 is better, quieter, more intimate, and it has a nice tea store in it. It is a bit more expensive than Pita Jungle though.

Ethnic/International Foods: Tapas Papas Fritas in Scottsdale had fantastic Sangria, mediocre tapas and awful "cafe con leche". I'm not going back. Cuban food: Sabor Cubano on W. Camelback in Phoenix: I asked them for things I had eaten in Miami Beach and they accommodated me! El New York Rican in West Phoenix make THE best mofongo anywhere. It's better than the one I had in San Juan when we vacationed there in Feb. For Mexican Food I just go to Arribas on 16th St/Camelback-what can I say? Their chile verde is great/consistent and they have great service.

Last edited by EDnurse; 04-25-2012 at 07:30 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 03:36 PM

568 posts, read 1,207,904 times
I just thought of a couple of other local businesses that I have supported and would do so again:

1) Baker's Nursery: this is THE place for those of us who are gardening nuts in Central Phoenix...it's just such a nice all-around shopping experience. Sometimes if I'm feeling a bit down I go there and just seeing all the lovely greenery cheers me up! The guys and gals who work there are friendly/helpful without being smothery or sales-pitchy, and sometimes they'll surprise you with novelty items that will show up in their stock, so you can experiment with new types of plants, etc.

2) First Impressions (security doors and windows): Very professional, and most importantly, the guy who did the install (I think his name was Raul) really seemed to take pride in his work. These are not cheap doors but I really like them, not just for security but for cross ventilation, cooling off the house at night, etc.

3) Great Lunch Place: If you work close to downtown Mesa like I do, there's an awesome little joint called "Inside the Bungalow". The chicken curry sandwich is to die for! It's in an adorable, well-decorated historical home, and the people working there are efficient and friendly.

4) Integrity tree service: They did a tree trimming + removal for me. This was a while ago so I don't remember the price but I know it was pretty reasonable. The whole process was very smooth and hassle free.

Old 05-02-2012, 12:01 PM

2 posts, read 1,980 times
I try to support local business whenever I can. It's been a mixed bag for me, as well. Here are the ones I've found that I like:

1. BOOKMANS. I've been supporting these bookstores for the past 12 years or so. I love their selection, the friendliness of the staff, and the fact that they'll take my books back on trade when I'm done reading them.

2. ACE HARDWARE. I support the location on 19th Avenue and Union Hills. The staff is always friendly and helps me find anything I need. The prices are sometimes a bit higher, but I don't mind shelling out an extra $1 or $2 to support a local business owner.

3. GO TIME INSURANCE. This is an independent insurance agency over on 15th Avenue and Bell run by a very service-oriented couple. They sell Progressive and quite a few other companies. I bought my home and auto insurance through them and was surprised by their level of service. Saved money over what I was paying before with Geico.

I'm not anti-chain, but I do prefer to support the chains that are franchisee-owned by a local owner. I do like the consistency that usually (but not always) exists with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area