Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2012, 12:06 PM

568 posts, read 1,208,158 times

Advertisements

I know it's not exactly local...but my local Ace Hardware really feels like a mom-and-pop store; it's so special! Whoever owns/manages it is doing a fantastic job. Unlike my closest big-box store, there is not only someone always available to help, but they consistently ask if they can help you find something as you walk in the store (but just as importantly, they know when to lay off it you make it obvious that you know where you're going). Plus, even though they have some younger people they are polite, and the older ones actually know a few things about household repairs. The best thing is, even though this particular store is always steady with business, it's never over-crowded...I hardly ever have to wait very long...it's on one of those hidden side streets, so kind of a secret! And it's closer to my house than the big-box is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2012, 12:12 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,789,004 times
I've ordered a few items from Ace, to be picked up in the store. Both times, they acted real surprised.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:25 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,245,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But don't forget to fill out that AZ use tax section for online purchases next year.
I better write myself a note or I may forget...thanks for the reminder.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:43 PM

65 posts, read 159,943 times
Amazon has a large local presence. Creates lots of local jobs. Saves gas. Super service - no wandering around looking for sales help. Takes returns with no hassle. Often free shipping. Even reporting the state sales tax allows you to save those over the top local sales taxes - I understand Glendale now pondering going to 3%.

Old 04-22-2012, 12:53 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,137,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
I know it's not exactly local...but my local Ace Hardware really feels like a mom-and-pop store; it's so special! Whoever owns/manages it is doing a fantastic job. Unlike my closest big-box store, there is not only someone always available to help, but they consistently ask if they can help you find something as you walk in the store (but just as importantly, they know when to lay off it you make it obvious that you know where you're going). Plus, even though they have some younger people they are polite, and the older ones actually know a few things about household repairs. The best thing is, even though this particular store is always steady with business, it's never over-crowded...I hardly ever have to wait very long...it's on one of those hidden side streets, so kind of a secret! And it's closer to my house than the big-box is!
I think Ace's are privately owned franchises? The one by me is a drag. As you enter there are cheaply made signs with anti-shoplifting info. "All backpacks and large bags must be checked at the register before shopping." "Smile you're on camera!" It just tells the consumer, "I don't trust you, thieving punk, and I'm fine with you knowing it."

I boycotted them for years once because they refused a return, saying the item wasn't defective, I just didn't know how to use it.

Old 04-22-2012, 01:29 PM

568 posts, read 1,208,158 times
Hi Freddy...yes, I'm guessing they must be privately owned, because this one is not at all as you describe. Now that I think of it, I don't remember seeing any security cameras around...but maybe they are just well-hidden? This store is a rather small/compact store with the employees walking around quite a lot, always actively helping customers (and perhaps keeping an eye on things, although they're not too obvious about it, imo). I know I wouldn't want to walk around in a store that had that 'big-brother' atmosphere, either, although I suppose getting robbed can make management react that way.

As for the returns, I've always though that the smart stores will generally allow one to return something, granted one has the receipt and is not one of those who is constantly returning stuff. Otherwise, if you have a no return policy, it really needs to be posted and clearly visible.

Old 04-22-2012, 03:03 PM

39,109 posts, read 51,340,810 times
Just because they have "chain" names does not mean they are chains. Almost all Subways, for example, are franchises owned by someone with a dream. There is a chain restaurant in our area that is owned by one of my neighbors. He is a big supporter of the local schools and kid sports.

Old 04-22-2012, 06:10 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,755,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xica_da_Silva View Post
I am a big Ace Hardware fan. There are at least three of them closer to me than the nearest Home Depot and most of the time I am making small purchases. Ace is a franchise operation and they are typically locally owned. I dislike big box stores in general, although I will still go in a Best Buy or Target occasionally. I have not been in a Walmart in 10 or 15 years.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 AM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,111,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I like that butcher shop on Bell... Bob's I think. Otherwise I haven't done a lot of "local" shopping either, it's mostly chains too. I ate at a local burger type joint that was horrible though, the service sucked horribly and I'll never go back.
Let's hear it for Butcher Bob's!!!!!

If they don't have it, they'll get it for you.

Then they call you.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,721,259 times
I almost exclusively shop locally and I have to say that I wonder how hard you really tried to find local insurance. I called about 12-14 places. How many did you call?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area