Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,780,709 times

Advertisements

We've all heard sayings like "shop local" and "support your local.....". When I moved over here to Midtown, I decided to make an extra effort to do business locally. I thought this might be a good topic to compare notes with others. Maybe we will see some patterns.

First thing I did was to switch my condo insurance agent, that was easy....unfortunately, the quote on my house was 100 per year more than a California based agency, so I went with them. I also attempted (twice) to get a quote from an independent agent, and he seemed to specialize in monthly auto, and he didn't even call me back. I did acquire health insurance at yet another agency next door. I stayed a year, but I am now saving significantly with a better company through e-insurance.

Local pizza place has been superb, with very nice outdoor seating, and the bar at Macayo's is a great kind of hybrid cantina.

What have been your experiences with trying to shop locally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 01:50 PM

27 posts, read 89,629 times
You just pushed a button . . .

We got here about 10 months ago. Bought a new house in Goodyear and brought absolutely nothing but clothes and a few kitchen items with us when we moved. So, we started from "emtpy house".

Since then we've had to get landscaping done for the back yard. We bought and installed 5 ceiling fans.

We had carpet removed and wood floors installed.

We bought furniture for every room in the house.

We had a piece of furniture built for the great room -- and, later needed to buy a couple of pieces of mirror to put in the back of some of the shelving.

The ready-made, direct purchase experiences were all okay. Anything that involved a "service" or wasn't needed to be ordered (wasn't in stock) was a nightmare.

The service-related issues revolved around two constants -- 1) communication with customers is abysmal; 2) there are always multiple layers of contractors/sub-contractors.

These people (at least 80% of the one's we've dealt with) never follow-up and/or give status updates on what will occur next and when. When things go wrong. They almost never say "sorry" but always say "Again? I'll talk to those guys (meaning the sub-contractor)". If you talk to a sub-contractor -- ask a question, etc., the reply is "I don't know. I'm just here to do . . . . -- I don't work for that company . . ."

Sigh.

I could go on for multiple more paragraphs -- but it would just be a rant on my part.

Let's just say. I've found doing business will the local businesses somewhat un-rewarding.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:01 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,133,332 times
I love finding a local that's reliable and professional. But I do appreciate the chains and corps. Home Depot doesn't take your money and disappear, or refuse a return. They don't close early or close on Sundays or Mondays or open only 10-5. They run the A/C in the store. The profits don't go in some evil corporation coffers, they go to the shareholders who are often just people like us with a 401k. I could go on and on.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:03 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,225,777 times
The biggest issue I have with local businesses is that they are so overpriced and then you have to pay extremely high sales taxes on top of it. I'm all about paying sales tax at an acceptable rate of 5-6% but when they are charging 10% I start trying to save.

Recently needed a part for my pool (chlorine generator cell) and found it online for $449 with no sales tax and can be delivered the next day with no shipping charges. Called the company that built my pool and they want $850 + tax for it. Went to the local pool supply shop and they want $579 + tax and they have to order it. So unfortunately I'm forced to shop online and save a LOT of money on the exact same item.

Old 04-19-2012, 02:09 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,780,709 times
I agree Fred. Also, unlike many chains, the HD stores that are in some fringe areas maintain the same, if not better, services than they do in the upscale areas. I wish Subway was consistent like that.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:02 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,016,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
The biggest issue I have with local businesses is that they are so overpriced and then you have to pay extremely high sales taxes on top of it. I'm all about paying sales tax at an acceptable rate of 5-6% but when they are charging 10% I start trying to save.

Recently needed a part for my pool (chlorine generator cell) and found it online for $449 with no sales tax and can be delivered the next day with no shipping charges. Called the company that built my pool and they want $850 + tax for it. Went to the local pool supply shop and they want $579 + tax and they have to order it. So unfortunately I'm forced to shop online and save a LOT of money on the exact same item.
But don't forget to fill out that AZ use tax section for online purchases next year.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:23 PM

1,484 posts, read 2,259,327 times
I like that butcher shop on Bell... Bob's I think. Otherwise I haven't done a lot of "local" shopping either, it's mostly chains too. I ate at a local burger type joint that was horrible though, the service sucked horribly and I'll never go back.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:42 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
I like that butcher shop on Bell... Bob's I think. Otherwise I haven't done a lot of "local" shopping either, it's mostly chains too. I ate at a local burger type joint that was horrible though, the service sucked horribly and I'll never go back.
This experience notwithstanding, I think non-chain food is probably your best chance to support a local merchant - it's well-known in the industry that the food is better if the owner is on site. So much so that even some chains (like Culvers) require the owner to actually work in the store - unlike McDonalds, where a single owner can have 50 stores.

High-ticket stuff more and more comes through the mail for me, If I'm going to order something, there's no reason to pay *extra* to have the local-guy order the same product from the same warehouse the online vendors do.

I'm rarely wowed by service or support locally. I wouldn't mind paying more for better service, but I haven't had much great service here.

Old 04-21-2012, 01:42 PM

681 posts, read 1,560,881 times
Where we live - it's mostly chains too.

I did buy a whole house full of furniture at Pruitt's - guess that's pretty local...not close to my house, but Phoenix local.

I received outstanding customer service on the sales, delivery and set-up of the furniture. Also had to exchange a bedroom set a few months later due to a manufacturers defect and they made it very easy...

Pricing was better than what we found for identical items at Mor and Roomstore (which obviously are national chains).

I do like to support small/local businesses, but they are becoming increasingly difficult to find!

Old 04-21-2012, 05:23 PM

550 posts, read 1,127,093 times
We bought a lot of new stuff when we moved here. I cannot complain about the stores we went to. We had great service. Here are some of them :
Stone Creek Furniture, Sun City Awning, Associeted Appliances, John's Cabinetree, First Impression, Arizona Leather, Today's Patio... Oh, ya and we buy meat at Butcher Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area