Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:49 PM

196 posts, read 263,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Many of that individual's posts slam the Valley. Take with a grain of salt.

I'm moving back to the Valley after spending 15 yrs in Chicago.
I like the Valley, and am excited to return.

Please feel free to take my comment with a grain of salt, also...

Ya gotta make your own way in this world. I sincerely wish you luck with your move, and (if you end up in the valley) your new life in Phoenix.
Thanks JoeC.
I understand. i hate the country and small towns. I guess that guy hates the warm sunny weather everyday. BUT. Thanks for your kind words. And yes, i hope i can make it all work out for a nice life. I'm just so dang miserable here in ky. Sept is my move month. maybe i will run into you one day out there. id like to run into most of these nice people i have met, they made my moving experience that much smoother. i'm sure u know what i mean.
good luck in ur move too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:22 PM

272 posts, read 610,054 times
Thank you, Ma'am.
It would be nice to meet some of the members here. Not sure how/where on C-D to set something up.
I'll worry about that once I get there.

Old 06-11-2012, 05:27 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,931,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele b View Post
Thanks JoeC.
I understand. i hate the country and small towns. I guess that guy hates the warm sunny weather everyday. BUT. Thanks for your kind words. And yes, i hope i can make it all work out for a nice life. I'm just so dang miserable here in ky. Sept is my move month. maybe i will run into you one day out there. id like to run into most of these nice people i have met, they made my moving experience that much smoother. i'm sure u know what i mean.
good luck in ur move too.
don't feel bad, adele b. the oregon forum looks much the same with many people saying "don't come!". i moved to mesa, arizona in 1992 and left in 1993. my job had moved me out there and then i was laid off nine months later. AFTER i bought a house! it was a tough job market for me but then many of them are. which is why i always end up going "home" to the san franisco bay area. i can certainly understand why you want to leave where you are. and why NOT go somewhere you DO want to be? at least it makes for a good start! good luck and i hope you are happy there.

Old 06-12-2012, 12:40 AM

Location: Orange County>Inland Empire>Phoenix>Flagstaff>Chicagoland
51 posts, read 140,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Thank you, Ma'am.
It would be nice to meet some of the members here. Not sure how/where on C-D to set something up.
I'll worry about that once I get there.
Glad to see another Chicagoan leaving! I made the move myself. I for one couldn't be happier. I agree, especially if I was stuck in a small town my whole life, I would want to get out too. From what I've seen, if you have a good solid background/experience in whatever field you are looking towards, you should be alright. I know it sounds cliche, but I have known at least for here that a college education could actually get you somewhere here. At least for my field, I have seen far less jobs requiring you to have a Bachelor's degree. In Chicago, you wouldn't even be considered or looked at if you didn't possess one. I am working on mine slowly. But anyhow, good luck on the move for both of you.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:11 AM

272 posts, read 610,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southwestchicagoan View Post
Glad to see another Chicagoan leaving! I made the move myself. I for one couldn't be happier. I agree, especially if I was stuck in a small town my whole life, I would want to get out too. From what I've seen, if you have a good solid background/experience in whatever field you are looking towards, you should be alright. I know it sounds cliche, but I have known at least for here that a college education could actually get you somewhere here. At least for my field, I have seen far less jobs requiring you to have a Bachelor's degree. In Chicago, you wouldn't even be considered or looked at if you didn't possess one. I am working on mine slowly. But anyhow, good luck on the move for both of you.
Thanks, SWC.
It's been 15 yrs since I lived there, with only 3 visits to see family since. Last time was 2007 - and I couldn't believe how much the Valley had grown.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 AM

14 posts, read 18,381 times
Thank you 5thgenSF, I will look into that and see if I have any better luck checking there.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM

129 posts, read 305,329 times
Good luck on your move!!! I hope everything works out for you! I wanted to say (in regards to the job search), I like the website indeed.com. It gathers jobs from all the other posting sites and it's really easy to use.

I drive through your area of Kentucky one to two times a year going from Memphis to NE Ohio. I normally stay in Elizabethtown because it's about half way. I can completely understand your desire to move! The "midwest" can be so depressing with it's annoying weather, lack of jobs, and nothing to do! Everyone in a small town knows everyone else and they know ALL of your business! Also, I think the scenery of the desert is a nice change from corn fields and trees (some people may think this is crazy).

I went to Phoenix once when i was about 14 and then again last September (I was 26) and I fell in love! I am planning on moving there next summer if my plans go accordingly. Please keep us up to date on your "adventure"!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:05 PM

142 posts, read 933,999 times
I just wanted to add that I have seen a ton of help wanted signs these days at most retailers. Pier One, Target, Walmart, Costco, fast food places, etc. If you're just looking for entry level type jobs just to make some income, retail should offer plenty of opportunities. I live in the NW valley and love it up here. I don't like the heat(I'm originally from the east coast) but I still like AZ and all it has to offer. I think it's a great state! Good luck with your move!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:37 PM

170 posts, read 326,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natsherr View Post
Good luck on your move!!! I drive through your area of Kentucky one to two times a year going from Memphis to NE Ohio. I normally stay in Elizabethtown because it's about half way. I can completely understand your desire to move! The "midwest" can be so depressing with it's annoying weather, lack of jobs, and nothing to do! Everyone in a small town knows everyone else and they know ALL of your business! Also, I think the scenery of the desert is a nice change from corn fields and trees (some people may think this is crazy).

I went to Phoenix once when i was about 14 and then again last September (I was 26) and I fell in love! I am planning on moving there next summer if my plans go accordingly. Please keep us up to date on your "adventure"!
U think AZ is better? Arizona can also be depressing with the awful desert climate, no jobs, and 'nothing. to do. [mod cut- off topic] Life is no better in AZ.

Last edited by observer53; 06-18-2012 at 12:58 PM..

Old 06-18-2012, 12:45 PM

28 posts, read 61,565 times
I am on both sides of the fence, neither a huge advocate of AZ nor a hater either. I'm an east coast girl and have been here for a year. Worked in Manhattan for over 15 years so maybe what I'm about to say is like mixing apples and oranges but for my professional field the comparison from east to west is mind boggling in the pay scale. People have mentioned the cost of living is cheaper here. The ONLY thing I've found to be cheaper is housing and that's it. Sales tax, car registration, food (yes, food for those who think it's cheap here), utilities, etc are all more here and the salaries way less. I'm not a teacher but I know teachers in both places. My teacher friends back there would never give up their economic security to live here and they LOVE it here. I actually love it here too but the job situation is a whole different story, one that actually trumps my desire to stay here. A friend of mine looked for a job here after moving from the east coast and it took her almost a year to find one and the pay is $10 for something she was making 3 times as much doing back east.

I've heard this is a right to work state, which honestly after moving here was the first I had ever heard that term. The pay here is not good, even for my profession which in most spots of the country (yes, NYC obviously included) pays a pretty good dime.

So I can see both sides of the coin but I frankly haven't found living here much easier financially. Sure we have a great big house for a fraction of the cost of what a house this size would be back east, but the pay goes hand in hand with it, and the upkeep and utilities that come along with owning a great big cheap house doesn't match the income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area