Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2012, 07:20 PM

196 posts, read 263,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieg View Post
There are not any jobs that will enable you to live life as a normal human being here. most jobs posted don't even exist or just a tool to keep HR people employed. I have seen the same job posted for 8 months, and others every other 2 weeks. To top it off most companies do not have a clue about how the interview process works in the real world. The inmates are definitely running the asylum.
I would rather be in a location that at least has opportunity, meaning a lot more buildings on one block than my whole town. catch my drift. plus, the weather here is nasty. u step out of shower and u will be pouring sweat. i hate to leave my house bc of the gross weather. when it rains u smell that nasty mildew smell. no thank u. i'd rather smell dust and i love the mountains. i have seen too much green grass. i just need a whole new life, i got the funds so i'm leaving. y not be happy. isn't that what life is about???????

i understand that it will be difficult to find a job. i have some ideas which hopefully they will work out. all i care about is paying my bills. i'm not high maintenance. as long as bills r paid and i have food and access to a pool, i'm good. i'm a college student at that so i am not looking for the real good jobs. just need to get started then get to networking. its hard anywhere someone moves to start their lives over.

thanks for the advice. last resort, fast food and they are always hiring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 08:42 AM

14 posts, read 18,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtogrif View Post
I just wanted to add that I have seen a ton of help wanted signs these days at most retailers. Pier One, Target, Walmart, Costco, fast food places, etc. If you're just looking for entry level type jobs just to make some income, retail should offer plenty of opportunities. I live in the NW valley and love it up here. I don't like the heat(I'm originally from the east coast) but I still like AZ and all it has to offer. I think it's a great state! Good luck with your move!
I'm not sure if its different in the NW Valley but here in Glendale I rarely see any "Help Wanted" signs. I've never seem them at any of the bigger chains like Walmart, Target etc. I'm having a really hard time putting my head around how difficult it is to secure employment here in my area of AZ. In 2 months I've only had one call in for an interview which was at UPS Freight and I wasn't able to secure that spot because I don't have a car and its almost 2 miles from the closest bus stop. Bus and bicycle are my only transportation at this time. I really need to find a way to get into more interviews that are local. I see so many turn overs at places like Circle K, McDonalds etc. and I can't even get a call back from there. I do have a year plus gap in my work history because I was helping a family member out and unfortunately that seems to be hurting me. Any good advice that isn't obvious would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone else who is having a hard time finding work in AZ.

Jim

Old 07-10-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimweda View Post
I'm not sure if its different in the NW Valley but here in Glendale I rarely see any "Help Wanted" signs. I've never seem them at any of the bigger chains like Walmart, Target etc. I'm having a really hard time putting my head around how difficult it is to secure employment here in my area of AZ. In 2 months I've only had one call in for an interview which was at UPS Freight and I wasn't able to secure that spot because I don't have a car and its almost 2 miles from the closest bus stop. Bus and bicycle are my only transportation at this time. I really need to find a way to get into more interviews that are local. I see so many turn overs at places like Circle K, McDonalds etc. and I can't even get a call back from there. I do have a year plus gap in my work history because I was helping a family member out and unfortunately that seems to be hurting me. Any good advice that isn't obvious would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone else who is having a hard time finding work in AZ.

Jim
Maybe when I get over to az we can job hunt together. I'll b there about sept/oct. dont want to move in 115 degree weather. that would be a mess. dont need all my things to melt. i really have no suggestions for u tho. maybe move closer towards the light rails (or whatever they are called). might help you. or move in general to a better location. i am sure i will be looking at all sorts of options when i get a job. good luck.

Old 07-11-2012, 05:28 PM

3,632 posts, read 16,177,626 times
I have seen our Oct be that temp. So beware... especially in Sept.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
thank you for the information.

Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,462,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sablebaby View Post
115 in October? Really? Don't think so. Yes, it has been over 100 at times in October, but it is not that common. I don't think the OP's things will melt in October, or even late September. Actually, September might be a good time to move, to get a bit of a taste of the hotter weather knowing it will be over soon, rather than moving in the earlier part of the summer.

Here are the numbers:

September

Rainfall:
  • Average: 0.86 inches
  • Record: 5.5inches (1939)
Temperature (degrees F):
  • Average High: 98.3 degrees
  • Lowest High: 66 degrees (1895)
  • Record High: 116 degrees (1950)
  • Average Low: 72.8 degrees
  • Highest Low: 90 degrees (1982, 1983)
  • Record Low: 47 degrees (1895, 1965)

October

Rainfall:
  • Average: 0.7 inches
  • Record: 4.4 inches (1972)
Temperature (degrees F):
  • Average High: 88.1 degrees
  • Lowest High: 56 degrees (1959)
  • Record High: 107 degrees (1980)
  • Average Low: 60.8 degrees
  • Highest Low: 82 degrees (1987)
  • Record Low: 34 degrees (1900,1911)

Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
115 in October? Really? Don't think so. Yes, it has been over 100 at times in October, but it is not that common. I don't think the OP's things will melt in October, or even late September. Actually, September might be a good time to move, to get a bit of a taste of the hotter weather knowing it will be over soon, rather than moving in the earlier part of the summer.

Here are the numbers:

September

Rainfall:
  • Average: 0.86 inches
  • Record: 5.5inches (1939)
Temperature (degrees F):
  • Average High: 98.3 degrees
  • Lowest High: 66 degrees (1895)
  • Record High: 116 degrees (1950)
  • Average Low: 72.8 degrees
  • Highest Low: 90 degrees (1982, 1983)
  • Record Low: 47 degrees (1895, 1965)

October

Rainfall:
  • Average: 0.7 inches
  • Record: 4.4 inches (1972)
Temperature (degrees F):
  • Average High: 88.1 degrees
  • Lowest High: 56 degrees (1959)
  • Record High: 107 degrees (1980)
  • Average Low: 60.8 degrees
  • Highest Low: 82 degrees (1987)
  • Record Low: 34 degrees (1900,1911)

wow observer53, u included everything. i was there in 2007 and it was like 113 the whole week. i knw it was not normal but it was really hot. they had to close the roof to the hotel i was at bc it was so hot.
i figure sep/oct would b a great time to move. i know if it is like 110 - ish it might melt things. that is what i am trying to avoid. i hope the info u posted is right on. then it will be a smooth trip and loading things to the place. that would be awesome.
as always thank u for helping me and anyone else who reads this forum. so many people have helped me.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:14 PM

4,978 posts, read 9,522,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele b View Post
i have no choice. in az you have to have an az address before employers can even consider you. so ur comment "DONT MOVE ANYWHERE WITHOUT A JOB FIRST." is not valid. i haev heard that from a lot of people in az. i can move around to see if there is better opportunity within the state. and also ur comment that "land of losers and non-ambitious people." is a sad understatement. y?? well imagine living in a small freaking town where every single person u know or run into which is a lot are all druggies and bums who sponge off their parents. small towns suck. i have resorted to no talking to anyone anymore. when i tell them that i am moving they have the nerve to tell me, "i wish i had ur determination" now what the heck is that. its called grow a pair and get off ur butt and make some changes. things do not just fall in ur lap. i mean wake up. bigger towns have better class of people too but there are bums there as well. small towns u see it more bc the population is like 10k in 2009. hopefully u catch my point. also in small towns if ppl do not have juice on u they make it up since there is nothing else to do. its sad. i will never live in a small town again. forget it. dont believe me, move to a almost secluded small town-- u will be begging to go back to phx.

Unless they have changed laws, I moved here a few years ago, and I did not have an address here. I got the job first.

I would advise getting a job here first, even if you do, there is the issue that it might not be here. Even if someone puts it in writing, that's very hard to uphold or enforce. People put all kinds of things in writing, say all kinds of things, but enforcing it is hard.

I had one employer make me a job offer in another state. I was going to move there and then in a conversation, the manager made a remark when I said I had to find a place first. She said, "oh, don't worry we are still looking"...after I got a formal job offer from the facility with a salaried amount, and I had accepted!

Just be careful. Phoenix is a fast town, faster than any big city I lived in back in the Midwest. You can use the internet to contact employers from where you are now to feel things out.

Phoenix may be bigger, but like LA, higher population, so more are competing for jobs.

Old 07-13-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebulous1 View Post
Unless they have changed laws, I moved here a few years ago, and I did not have an address here. I got the job first.

I would advise getting a job here first, even if you do, there is the issue that it might not be here. Even if someone puts it in writing, that's very hard to uphold or enforce. People put all kinds of things in writing, say all kinds of things, but enforcing it is hard.

I had one employer make me a job offer in another state. I was going to move there and then in a conversation, the manager made a remark when I said I had to find a place first. She said, "oh, don't worry we are still looking"...after I got a formal job offer from the facility with a salaried amount, and I had accepted!

Just be careful. Phoenix is a fast town, faster than any big city I lived in back in the Midwest. You can use the internet to contact employers from where you are now to feel things out.

Phoenix may be bigger, but like LA, higher population, so more are competing for jobs.
i totally understand what ur saying. its 50-50 actually. it seems a little easier to just apply when i get there for a small job. i still have college work so no big high paying job is required. just need a job to pay the rent and bills i have. i will look online and apply about a month from leaving here to get my resume out there and maybe do a few interviews when before i leave ky.
i did here that employers do want ppl with az address to interview. guess so that way they know u wont leave. i will really be looking everyday til i find a job. also i'm not familiar with the area but found a cheaper place to live. so that posses a problem. not knowing what is closest.
thanks for the advice. i appreciate it. its a 50-50 opportunity really.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:14 AM

20 posts, read 30,821 times
Be prepared and make sure you have enough money to pay at least 6 months rent and to feed yourself, just in case. There alot of promises made when it comes to a job offer, most are lies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area