Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 01:55 AM

344 posts, read 813,382 times

Advertisements

Just to reiterate, for those who claim that the variations in summer temps elsewhere mean that most days are quite pleasant and "far better than Phoenix".

In the Northeast, once you're in to late spring/summer, whether it's 80, or 85 or 90, or 95, you invariably accumulate a head-to-toe grease bubble on a daily basis. Every part of your being is part of this An insideous layer that one can only extract via shower and soap LOL the unbelievable feeling of freedom that comes from that scrubbing almost makes the disgusting discomfort worthwhile...well, not almost. It's hideous LOL

And the infrastructures in these cities makes heat avoidance much, much harder than newer, more open cities like Phoenix. The subway cars in NYC are blissfully refridgerated-fantastic after you've wilted while waiting in a one hundred year old subway station with the usual underground temperature that is 10 degrees above the temperature outside-and the air doesn't move in these cities.

Last edited by sunluv; 06-07-2012 at 02:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 08:38 AM

371 posts, read 379,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsesta1687 View Post
You're living in a bubble. Take a trip down to the local Phoenix police department. Any detective there will tell you there is a very high rate of home invasions here, gang related, drug related and randoms. Have you ever served on a grand jury here? My guess is not. In one day you will hear of at least 8 to 10 home invasion cases.
I get the ones that are gang or drug related, "live by the sword, die by the sword", the random ones well those are the ones that worry me. Seeing gun ownership is very high in Arizona, much like Florida you would think there would be a deterrence? Usually the home invasions here are due to someone in the family being in a gang or dealing drugs. Random ones happen anywhere in the country, even in affluent towns and cities.

Old 06-07-2012, 08:43 AM

371 posts, read 379,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
Just to reiterate, for those who claim that the variations in summer temps elsewhere mean that most days are quite pleasant and "far better than Phoenix".

In the Northeast, once you're in to late spring/summer, whether it's 80, or 85 or 90, or 95, you invariably accumulate a head-to-toe grease bubble on a daily basis. Every part of your being is part of this An insideous layer that one can only extract via shower and soap LOL the unbelievable feeling of freedom that comes from that scrubbing almost makes the disgusting discomfort worthwhile...well, not almost. It's hideous LOL

And the infrastructures in these cities makes heat avoidance much, much harder than newer, more open cities like Phoenix. The subway cars in NYC are blissfully refridgerated-fantastic after you've wilted while waiting in a one hundred year old subway station with the usual underground temperature that is 10 degrees above the temperature outside-and the air doesn't move in these cities.
I from the Northeast, I remember starting High School in mid to late August, the school had no A/C in parts of the building that were older, the papers would stick to your arms and they had the windows open. The humidity there was worse than I ever experienced in Florida. In the winter though it get's very arid up north, with very low humidity. 15F and 15% or lower humidity is not too great either, with the wind.

I'm not too concerned about the heat in Phoenix, more so the pollution issues.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,030,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimballette View Post
Absolutely correct. And Ponderosa nailed it, as well. People in this forum use the word "ghetto" indiscriminately and probably have no idea what a true ghetto is really like. Do we have shabby neighborhoods in the metro area? Sure. But nothing to compare with the mean streets of Detroit, Chicago, etc.
I'll agree that there are no areas here (that I've seen) that can hold a candle to some areas of Detroit,Chicago or NJ. With that being said in my opinion it's disingenuous to assert that all areas here are safe and secure.
To be honest all you have to do is look at the crime maps for a good clue or do what I've done several times and ask a beat cop what his impression of the area he patrols is, I've always gotten honest answers from them and they're the ones who see all the crime.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:46 AM

28 posts, read 61,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I'll agree that there are no areas here (that I've seen) that can hold a candle to some areas of Detroit,Chicago or NJ. With that being said in my opinion it's disingenuous to assert that all areas here are safe and secure.
To be honest all you have to do is look at the crime maps for a good clue or do what I've done several times and ask a beat cop what his impression of the area he patrols is, I've always gotten honest answers from them and they're the ones who see all the crime.
I agree about the vast differences between a ghetto back east and here. The worst parts of Phoenix aren't that bad IMHO compared to some major crime ridden towns back east.

Old 06-07-2012, 11:26 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,024,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsesta1687 View Post
I agree about the vast differences between a ghetto back east and here. The worst parts of Phoenix aren't that bad IMHO compared to some major crime ridden towns back east.
On my visit there I went to South Mountain and drove through some real rugged looking hood south of downtown. The houses were slightly ragged looking with dirt for lawns, kids toys sitting outside. But that light out there is so pure and golden which accentuated the overall bleak look of the neighborhood, it was awesome. It's like even the poor parts of Phoenix have a photogenic quality to them.

Old 06-07-2012, 03:50 PM

170 posts, read 326,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
we understand you don't like it here. It's time for you to move on to another city you won't like. If you're going to spout how Phoenix sucks, tell the truth. Don't lead people to believe it's worse than it really is.
First of all, it's not, never has been and probably will NEVER be 115 for 5 months at a time. You say there is NO RAIN.Monsoons are rain. It pours here in late summer not to mention the typical winter storms and ANYONE that has lived here can't deny that. It's fact.

A murder every day in the news? Phoenix has about 6 million people here but it isn't the dump you are telling people. back up your rhetoric with some statistics so you at least don't look like a troll.
Spoken like a true Phoneician! They ARE looking for the facts, and I am giving it to them. Just because you dont like the dubious facts about Phoenix, doesnt make them less true. What is so cute about Phoenicians:
1. The always exagerrate the size of their area. Metro Phoenix has 4 million (13th largest metro in the country), not 6 million.
2. The get defensive when a resident non-native gives their preference for somewhere else. Very cute. I like that one.
3. They always tell people "the crime, climate, heat, etc. isnt that bad." It is THAT bad! Aint hot for 5 months at a time? Youve already had like 5 record breakers already, and its only early June. May thru October is 6 months! When was the last time it rained? I havent seen a drop in months. Monsoons only bring lighting and wind, no rain to be found anywhere.
4. The cutest thing about Phoenicians is the way they manipulate the facts and use snake oil to sell their city. Thats a classic.

Compared to wher Ive lived, Phoenix IS a dump, extremely dangerous, hot for half the year (at least), very polluted (my gosh, you can see the brown cloud as you fly in. its disgusting!), etc. People are looking for facts, here, so why do you ignore them? If people dont like the current state of affairs about their city, then change it. Even the Places Rated Almanac agrees with me, when it ranked Phoenix as the 3rd worst metro area to live in the US based on economic stability, safety, education and pollution. Disliking facts wont change anything. And yes, perception IS reality. Only Arizona would disagree.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:59 AM

583 posts, read 885,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
I'm not sure how you can say that. When it's 70 degrees, I don't feel the humidity at all. It's not a factor. Just like in Phoenix in December when it's 65 degrees and has 50-60% humidity. No one talks about it because at that temp humidity is not a factor.
You're entirely correct. Humidity nowhere intrudes on the consciousness when it's 70. Make it past, oh, 78-82, and one starts to notice the humidity when active.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:22 AM

39,082 posts, read 51,266,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
You're entirely correct. Humidity nowhere intrudes on the consciousness when it's 70. Make it past, oh, 78-82, and one starts to notice the humidity when active.
It sure does for anyone from AZ. I don't care what the temp is, I feel the slightest increase in humidity. That's not to say it causes a problem at 70, quite the opposite in fact. But any Zonie worth his dust can detect minute amounts of moisture in the air. Your hair feels different, as do your clothes. You can smell things you would never smell when it is dry. In summer, getting off a plane just about anywhere but here is like getting socked in the face with a wet rag for us.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:24 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,438,965 times
Whether metro Phoenix is 4 million or 6 million (and 4 million and change is the 2010 census figure) it's still a LOT of people; most of them, on balance, are likely happy here, or there wouldn't be so many here.

No place is perfect, no place is for everyone. Everyone has to find the place that works for him or her, and no one can say for someone else whether that person should move here or not, or whether that person will like it here. Arguing about the widely different personal perceptions of a place we all have (beyond disputing what can be shown with factual, objective statistics) gets nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area