Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:14 AM

28 posts, read 61,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastbabe View Post
Wow...not trying to be funny or anything...but $60,000 was cut from your salary..........I could live right comfortably on $60,000 and be very happy.....but then again it's just me and I have no family.
Well, if I even made that much here I'd be pretty happy myself and I have teenagers. The salaries here are not even close to paying well. I hear teachers get paid a horrendous salary also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 11:53 AM

1,433 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick974 View Post
I just moved from the Oregon coast.
Thanks for illustrating one of my points: cherry pick a location which experiences poorer weather than Phoenix. Good try with downplaying the heat ... how many days above 110 last year?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:54 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,786,060 times
A starting teacher can be a homeowner here, unless they owe lots of loans.....32,500 is the lowest I've seen in a while. and that school has a short year.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:55 AM

554 posts, read 746,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olive2Bgeeky View Post
Very well said! The people are more laid back and friendly here! Probably because they are Midwest transplants not dealing with snow OR humidity anymore.
I think there are a LOT of California transplants in Arizona, too. My wife's employer has moved a large part of their operational group out of Silly-con Valley to the Phoenix area. We're still here, but probably not for long, as there are 2 or 3 other factors we're considering for making a move to Phoenix.
And, please let me just say that I really appreciate being able to read all these pro's and con's about the Phoenix area. I spent the major part of my life in Texas, and more-recently in north Cali (Silly-con Valley), and actually look forward to the more-conservative life trends that some are warning about.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:21 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,985,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Sorry - I've lived in both, and by the averages, I'll take June-August in Phoenix over December-February in Chicago.
Good for you, I would probably tolerate the upper 90's 2nd half of May and 100's for the better part of Sept which, by omission, you seem to enjoy had I also been afflicted with arthritis. Defenders of Phoenix weather tend to be older. It's an age thing, well seen on these boards, and tends to skew the opinions in favor of the heat. It's Arizona after all. By the way, Chicago winters aren't as bad as they once were. Lived there for many years.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:53 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,811,286 times
I will definitely take a 110 degrees over 110 degrees with humidity anyday. This is coming from someone who lives in NC. Im sorry but was out there Labor Day weekend last year and yes it was blazing hot..but it was a comfortable blazing hot. I mean you could maneuver in the heat. In NC, you can't do that.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:15 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,762,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
I think there are a LOT of California transplants in Arizona, too. My wife's employer has moved a large part of their operational group out of Silly-con Valley to the Phoenix area. We're still here, but probably not for long, as there are 2 or 3 other factors we're considering for making a move to Phoenix.
And, please let me just say that I really appreciate being able to read all these pro's and con's about the Phoenix area. I spent the major part of my life in Texas, and more-recently in north Cali (Silly-con Valley), and actually look forward to the more-conservative life trends that some are warning about.
Sily-con Valley.....I love it. LOL Tried to rep you but I must spread the joy first.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:25 PM

1,197 posts, read 2,281,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
Nope.

There are plenty of very uncomfortable days in any number of NE cities, if not the midwestern places you've mentioned. It's not just a once in a while phenomenon.

The humidity here even at worst in July/Aug. is moderate, not as high as elsewhere. That leaves the overall feeling of heat comparable to lower temps and higher humidity found elsewhere.

As far as it being everyday or not, Phoenix has a more open and modern infrastructure, so every day or not really doesn't matter-during the day one knows to be in AC during certain hours. In fact, if the heat is there every day it's far easier to get in a habit of avoidance through routine.
I'm not saying that there are not plenty of uncomfortable days. I'm saying it's not EVERY day. Whenever people are talking about Phoenix they say "105 with no humidity". Well that is the absolute BEST day during the Phoenix summer. Then they compare it to 85+ with high humidity. Well that is some of the worst days. Remember in Phoenix it routinely hits 110+. One thing that is also not mentioned is how much longer the Phoenix summers are. It was 108 in Phoenix last week while I was there. You will probably not get a high below 98 degrees until late September.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:35 PM

28 posts, read 61,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
A starting teacher can be a homeowner here, unless they owe lots of loans.....32,500 is the lowest I've seen in a while. and that school has a short year.
I have a friend who used to teach here. Says on the top end being a principal the salary is 65,000 if that. Not that you can compare because everything is relative but back east we know a third grade teacher who is making 110k.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:32 PM

554 posts, read 746,497 times
Thank you, "Mot" ... ! We're giving this move a LOT of thought and preparation.
We're easily too old to both start another career, so knowing as much as possible about where we're going is paramount for us; it'll make the transition just-that-much easier, and that includes the transition into retirement.
It seems a "given" that there are an awful lot of younger minds weighing-in on these boards; their inexperienced 'opinions' show their naivete` about other Americans. --- 'nuff said ---
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area