Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 01:16 PM

148 posts, read 265,373 times

Advertisements

I have heard that this is a nice scenic drive that takes you through the Tortilla Flats and passing Rosevelt lake. We are staying in downtown Scottsdale and wanted to know how we get to the start of this trail ?

Does this trail go in a large circle that will bring us back to where we started ?. How long will this take roughly from start to finish ? we are planning to do this between christmas and new year, would this be a good time to go, or will it be busy with lots of tourists ( like ourselves ! ).

Any tips on this topic would be greatly appreciated !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 01:29 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,063,176 times
it starts in Apache Junction, AZ, at the far east end of the Phx metro area....from Scotts, travel S on AZ 101 and then drive E on AZ 60 from Tempe or Mesa to signs for AZ 88 (Apache Trail) way out in AJ....it's paved for several miles, then turns to dirt for several more....yes, there will be several other people driving it.....though utterly touristy, Tortilla Flat is worth a stop for lunch and exploration....several other pullouts along the way worth a stop....make sure you have a spare and the gear and knowledge to change a flat, just in case....when you get to Roosevelt Lake, return via the Beeline Hwy (87) way up N or thru Globe along Hwy 60 several miles to the S.....you probably won't be in the mood to go back the way you came!....allow ALL day!....check a map for specific driving and the return options....

click on the external links in this wiki article:

Apache Trail - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-11-2012, 03:19 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,057,995 times
You probably don't want to go on New Year's Day - the Tortilla Flat website says they typically get around 500 bikers!

Old 12-11-2012, 06:15 PM

267 posts, read 692,949 times
It's a bit of a white-knuckle drive in places.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:36 PM

81 posts, read 214,405 times
It's a piece of cake. We do it a couple of times a year.
Start with a full tank. Like has been said know how to change a tire.
I never needed too but AAA is not just down the street.

Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
We recently did it and it's a beautiful drive and well worth doing, but just be aware it's a LOOOOONG day. I don't know what I was thinking but I figured we'd be in and out in about 4 hours and I'm pretty sure we were gone for at least 8.

Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 AM

890 posts, read 2,280,012 times
Only took me a couple of hours when I drove it last year (one way), and I stopped in Goldfield ghost town and the Roosevelt Dam. (I planned on Tortilla Flat but there were no parking spaces). I didn't head out of Tempe until noon, but made it through the Apache Trail, up to Payson, through Show Low and the Salt River Canyon, back down through Globe and into Mesa and it was just then getting really dark at about 9 (google maps tells me this is over 350 miles, eek!). So if you plan to make a lot of stops it will take longer than 4 hours (2 each way), but I can't really see spending a whole day out there.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:26 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
I drive up to Tortilla Flat all the time! It's a fun, scenic, twisty road. Just drive safe (lord knows I don't)... I've made the "full loop" a few times as well.

If you want to make it a "loop", plan to make it a half-day trip. From downtown Scottsdale, get on the 101 Southbound. Get off on the US-60, Eastbound. You'll be driving for a while... The exit you want is 196 -- Idaho Rd (AZ 88). Turn left (northbound). You'll want to top off your tank somewhere around here. When you pass under the highway, there's a Chevron station on the right. Or you can go further down the road (about a mile) to Quiktrip. Continue down Idaho, past the Quiktrip, and veer right onto N Apache Trail (signs will point you in the right direction). This is the road you're looking for.

As you leave civilization behind, there'll be a small "ghost mining town" on the left side of the road. It's a bit of a cheesy tourist trap, but it's still fun to take pictures. Keep going down the road. When the speed limit drops to 25 mph, you know you've hit the twisty part. From there, it's about 10 miles to the town of Tortilla Flat. You'll pass Canyon Lake first -- pretty scenic when you come around the corner, and the lake comes into view. The scene still gets me... But, for the love of God, please don't be one of the tourist drivers that sticks to the speed limit, then goes 15 mph around corners, and refuses to pull over for faster moving vehicles! Granted, during the holidays, tourist traffic may force you to drive that slow.

If you want to make it a quick trip, turn around at Tortilla Flat, and go back the way you came. If you want the trip to be 10x more exciting, slightly more dangerous, and a hell of a lot more scenic, then by all means continue down the road.

Just out of Tortilla Flat, there's a "wash", and the road is pretty torn up. Ease your car over it, and carry on. From there, you've got about 5 more miles of pavement left. After that, you'll reach what is probably one of the most dangerous parts of the road. Nicknamed "Fish Creek Hill", the road is comprised of loose gravel, and is about 1 1/2 lanes wide. There's a small mound (about 1-2 feet tall) that will supposedly keep your car from going over the edge. Some of the corners even have a small wooden guardrail! Always expect oncoming traffic, and pay close attention. The cliff on the side is about a 700 foot drop. (Fun fact -- I once faced oncoming traffic, in a manual transmission sports car, on one of the narrowest parts of this downhill. The uphill traffic? A dually truck pulling a large boat. Luckily, he had the cliff-side. Still, incredibly terrifying, passing at about a half-mile per hour).

You'll know you're done with Fish Creek Hill when you reach a small bridge, in the middle of a hairpin turn, at the bottom of a valley. From there, the road becomes a lot less scary. You'll have about 18 more miles of scenery before you hit pavement again. The pavement starts right at Roosevelt Dam, which holds back Roosevelt Dam.

88 will reach a junction with AZ 188. To get back to Scottsdale (the easy way), hang a left. It'll be a little over 30 miles / 30 minutes before you reach the main, 4-lane highway (Beeline Highway / AZ 87). From there, you're about an hour from Scottsdale. The easiest route would be to stay on the Beeline Highway until you reach McDowell Rd. Continue westbound on McDowell until you reach Scottsdale Rd. Turn right/north, and head back to downtown.

Time-wise, it's about 4 hours behind the wheel. It takes about 2.5 hours to go from Downtown Scottsdale to Roosevelt Lake (via the Apache Trail), and about 1.5 hours to get back (via the Beeline Highway). If I were you, I'd leave around mid-morning (9-10am or so), and plan to eat lunch at Tortilla Flat. This will give you time to stop at the ghost town along the way. After lunch, it'll be about an hour and a half up to the lake. Pack snacks, and dip your feet in the water. When you're ready to leave, it's another hour and a half back to Scottsdale, with plenty of time before dinner.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:03 PM

102 posts, read 230,025 times
posted these a while back

Photo thread

Old 12-21-2012, 11:03 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,947,286 times
Just made the drive up to the beginning of the gravel yesterday. Apparently, they repaved the small stretch right after the restaurant and gift shop. No more broken pavement / giant hole! Meaning I could finally get my car through. (I've got about 2" ground clearance -- before, I couldn't make it past Tortilla Flat in the Miata).

Here's an (instagram'ed) picture of my Miata on the "bridge". There was actually running water over the road yesterday -- first time I've seen that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area