Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 10:45 AM

54 posts, read 111,500 times

Advertisements

I drove it to the point of Tortilla Flat and have heard the unpaved part past that point are extremely treachorous. I have also viewed the portion near Roosevelt damn....scary! Im a photo-buff and will drive anywhere to get some great shots. What did you guys think of the trail? Other good photo spots in town or around AZ that you recommend?

Places of interest:
- Chiricauhua
- Tonto Nat'l Mnmt
- Fossil Springs Wilderness
- Slide Rock (is there water here year round?)
- Tonto Natural Bridge (i need to go back here before they close it)
- Monument Valley
-Arches
-Bryce Canyon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 01:24 PM

39,073 posts, read 51,205,311 times
I've driven that road more times than I can count, usually towing a boat. The only part that might scare you much is on Fish Creek Hill which is a switch back up the face of a cliff. The road is narrow there and the drop is sheer. It is wider than it looks, but a couple of places only one car can pass, so you need to coordinate a bit with other drivers (if you meet them). You'll do fine and the view from the bottom is worth the trip. The rest of the way is just winding and some washboard areas.

I find that road kind of frustrating for photos - at least for the lazy like me. The road connects several hydroelectric dams and so there are power lines running, it seems, across all the good vistas. If you hiked away from the road a bit it would be OK.

In any case, don't let the road scare you. It is not that bad. The scenery is among the absolute best in Arizona and it is worth every gray hair it gives you. It is a must in my book.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:50 PM

7,167 posts, read 9,219,662 times
I drove it a few years ago. The road was in pretty good condition. It had been graded recently when I was there so we had no problems. As Ponderosa says Fish Creek Hill is a bit narrow. My Dad always said people going uphill in those situations had the right of way. He was a trucker and drove Fish Creek a few times with a tractor trailer. So it's not too bad. If you see someone approaching on the hill just look for a wide spot to pullover and let them by.

The scenery is worth it. IMO. Do it at least once just to see. Think of it as an adventure. Just take it easy until you get a feel for driving on dirt/gravel.

BTW: At Fish Creek Hill you used to be able to look below and see people who didn't make the curves. Dad said they were the older clunkers with mechanical brakes. I don't remember if they were still there a few years ago or not.

Old 03-04-2010, 01:54 PM

54 posts, read 111,500 times
Thanks for the info guys.

Ponderosa, i agree with the powerlines obstructing a few good shots. The last time i was on there near Tortilla Flat, i was able to hike far enough off the road to get some really good shots...particularly of Canyon Lake.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:37 PM

137 posts, read 372,050 times
Ahh the Apache Trail. I had to laugh when I saw this post! That is one ride I will NEVER forget!!! It was a very rough ride. All the kids in the back seat were complaining....we took it all the way up into I believe in the Payson area. We had no idea it was going to be that long of a drive and it got a little scary as the gas stations became more and more scarce. My hubby probably took us more off the beaten path than he will admit Good times!

Old 03-04-2010, 05:27 PM

27 posts, read 82,004 times
My husband and I drove the Apache Trail when we visited AZ in November. The scenery is AMAZING. It is quite bumpy, and it takes a long time to drive the whole thing, if you go all the way past Roosevelt Dam. You do need to be cautious on the road, but I hear that it has vastly improved from what it used to be. I would definitely recommend it! There are many places to pull over/stop and take pictures.

Old 03-04-2010, 07:49 PM

41 posts, read 133,794 times
I would love to seem some pictures posted from someone who has driven it if possible.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:08 PM

2,897 posts, read 10,414,283 times
I didn't take these, but here are some from the trail:

Old 03-04-2010, 11:56 PM

23 posts, read 108,377 times
Everything I have read about the Apache Trail warns drivers to use extreme caution when driving this "treacherous" road. Well I drove the whole thing from Roosevelt Lake to Apache Junction in my lowered Cavalier with very stiff springs and I had no problems at all.

Keep in mind this was in an underpowered, front-wheel drive car with street tires and over 150,000 miles on it. The car had no problem handling the sand covered washboard terrain, steep grades, and Fish Creek Hill. Sure it was a little bumpy but the scenery was fantastic and I cannot wait to head out there again sometime! I saw go for it!!

Old 03-05-2010, 08:33 AM

4 posts, read 6,600 times
In 2003 I drove the Apache Trail by myself in a rented Ford Explorer, thirsty for adventure. Whew! "Travel Arizona: The Back Roads" (Arizona Highways) calls the Trail "easy to moderate." Now I agree, but at the time all I focused on was my neck getting more and more tight, and wondering if I had overestimated my ability as a driver. I had not--I drove safely and slowly the whole way--but my anxiety spoiled a lot of the fun. AZ Highways says you can do it in a family car but I was glad I was in a 4-wheel drive.

I'm female, by the way. I don't know if that makes a difference in such a trip or not. I wouldn't call it "treacherous," more so a leap of faith. But it's very doable.

Chiricauhua is UNbelievable! It wasn't crowded when I was there, which gave the feeling of being in an otherworldly universe completely alone. The opportunities for good photos are all around you. Put a full tank of gas in your car and bring in a little more food than you think you'll need.

Arches is beautiful, as is Bryce Canyon. At Bryce and the Grand Canyon my memory is tainted by the fact that I became slightly ill in both places: nausea, dizziness, fuzziness. It could have been the altitude. This has nothing to do with what your experience would be, though; just mentioning it.

Happy trails in the Southwest. It's my spiritual home, I think, and my "for real" home one of these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area