Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 09:11 AM

118 posts, read 318,260 times

Advertisements

People ride motorcycles in the HOV lane all the time. I wouldn't do it (because AZ has some crazy ass drivers), but lots of people do.

I used to commute from Buckeye to Deer Valley for work (about 50 miles each way). Parts of I-10 are bad, but not around Estrella, except when there was an accident. On a normal day, I-10 was relatively clear all the way to the 101. I got off at the 101, so I don't know what it was like beyond that.

If you can find and afford something closer to work, I would recommend it. Commuting in AZ feels like Russian roulette sometimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 12:29 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
It's not bad if you work at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station....

Old 04-30-2013, 08:20 AM

81 posts, read 289,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
It sounds like you are very familiar with Buckeye from the way you worded your post. I will readily admit that I am not very familiar with Buckeye, but I do wonder:

Since Buckeye has existed long before suburbia overran it, I wonder if the completion and opening of ASPC-Lewis in 1998 has been one of the major forces that has grown its population so significantly. I would imagine that its opening must have had an impact on the city of Buckeye seeing that Lewis is the Largest prison complex in the state (Several thousand inmates and an unbelievable amount of staff, counting Security, Healthcare, Education, Volunteers, etc...). I know that in the city of Florence, the majority of the residents either work at the prison or are family members of inmates (that way they have short visitation commutes). I would imagine that the same would be true for Buckeye, with ASPC-Lewis just over 10 miles away, and seeing that Buckeye is the closest residential area to the prison.

I quoted your post (Ponderosa) because you seem to have intimate knowledge of the city of Buckeye. I think it would be interesting if yourself of someone else with actual intimate knowledge of the city of Buckeye could comment on this and describe in their opinion how opening the largest prison complex in the State of Arizona with such a close vicinity to Buckeye has impacted the town.

I live in Buckeye, and there is a large presence of Law enforcement and their familes residing here. about half is the Law enforcement working from "Lewis" the prison as you mentioned, for those of you who dont know its going south on 85. The other half are Border Patrol that make the daily commute to Ajo,Az. there are over 600 fed law enforcement that work out of Ajo, that choose to live in either Buckeye, Maricopa or Ajo itself. Most of them choose Buckeye. And thats not counting the local LE from the local PD that also live here.In response to your post and in my opinion Buckeye being mostly a law enforcement community bc of the jobs availible, would be the reason for the massive growth spurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area