Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 12:41 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
where the heck did i say Phoenix doesn't have morals or values?
You said it in the post below, responding to another poster's comment about the "bright future" of the Valley in the context of the topic of this thread. So, it was fair to assume you were either referring to Phoenix, or the Valley as a whole, or some other portion of it. If that isn't what you meant, I can delete the posts and this thread can go back on track.

Quote:
if a city has no morals or values the future is everything but bright.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2013, 07:58 AM

9,195 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Quote:
if a city has no morals or values the future is everything but bright.
Religion and morals/values do not go hand in hand. Plenty of religious people treat others horribly and I know many atheists that are charitable and nothing but nice. That fact that this shows Phoenix has plenty of critical thinkers, is a very positive sign for our future progression.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:30 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,458,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
You said it in the post below, responding to another poster's comment about the "bright future" of the Valley in the context of the topic of this thread. So, it was fair to assume you were either referring to Phoenix, or the Valley as a whole, or some other portion of it. If that isn't what you meant, I can delete the posts and this thread can go back on track.
I said the exact opposite. The poster was saying Phoenix was becoming less religious and he/she said it would lead to a brighter future and I said if that happened and the people here had no morals or values it would be bad. I don't know how you interpreted that to me saying Phoenix is full of a bunch of people with no morals or values.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,636,523 times
Quote:
I said the exact opposite. The poster was saying Phoenix was becoming less religious and he/she said it would lead to a brighter future and I said if that happened and the people here had no morals or values it would be bad. I don't know how you interpreted that to me saying Phoenix is full of a bunch of people with no morals or values.
No one said anything about people having less morals or lower values, only less religion. Where are you getting that from?

Old 06-13-2013, 08:37 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
Quote:
Thanks for the explanation.... must have had thinking cap on backwards. Sorry!

That said, it is true that there are people with high morals and values who do not self identify with any particular denomination, don't attend church, etc. What the percentage of those people is here in the Valley, who knows, but there's a very large "unchurched" population in the country as a whole. That doesn't mean that those people don't have morals or values.

No worries about the future here in that context, IMO.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:00 AM

603 posts, read 945,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Most of the time, they go to certain community organizations or sponsored events. I've never had one knock on my door. The only ones who ever knocked on my door were Jehovas Witnesses. I think you will find that most residents will echo my sentiments on this and acknowledge they've never had a Mormon knock on their door proselytizing. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but it's rare. However, when I lived in the South, it was a normal occurrence with Christian flyers on my door about some new church opening.
I've seen the boys in white shirts walking (or riding bicycles) around the neighborhood a few times, but I've never had them knock on the door. I have had Jehovas Witnesses knock on the door though.

I'm glad when people put stickers for their church on their car. Especially CCV and Cornerstone. I know to keep my eye on them in traffic because they're ALWAYS terrible, terrible drivers.

When I moved here someone told me the CCV sticker stands for "Can't Control Vehicle".

Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
There is nothing wrong with having a little "churchy culture". In fact - we should get back to more of that culture.
I think there is a difference between a "churchy culture" and being faithful personally. I can't stand church...and I can't stand most people who devote their every breath to a church and then look down on you for not attending. Most of the people we met in church were beyond greedy, ruthless and hurtful. So based on personal experiences, we chose to not attend. I do not wish to stop those who do go, nor support any movement to ban religion. I just want to be left alone. God understands...I know he/she does.
God bless you.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:49 AM

173 posts, read 404,158 times
I draw a link between Arizona's problem with more extremist right-wing attitudes and the lack of religious foundation. Conservatism minus Judeo-Christian morality = something quite often undesirable.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:19 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,742,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokuku View Post
I draw a link between Arizona's problem with more extremist right-wing attitudes and the lack of religious foundation. Conservatism minus Judeo-Christian morality = something quite often undesirable.
Then you must not ignore the religious left....most of the devout Catholics that were beyond obsessed were liberal democrats...which I had a hard time understanding myself. I think obsessive left wingers without any moral compass would be just as undesirable. I do believe there is a place for God in society, just doesn't have to include church attendance. Practice what is preached ...so to speak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area