Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2013, 08:46 PM

4 posts, read 4,147 times

Advertisements

My daughter is moving to Phoenix to start her teaching career. She is 24 yrs old. She is teaching in the Cartwright School District. I have the usual parent concerns and duties. She will be starting this Aug.

1. I am helping her in the search for a place to live that will be safe, a reasonable commuting distance but also, as she puts it, "trendy". Her rental budget max is $ 800. Any suggestions for locations that I should be concentrating in, things I should look out for / avoid.

2. Any recommendations of the type of vehicle she should get ( she has to buy a car ), reputable car dealers, reputable car repair service garage.

3. Any recommendations for insurance companies, for tenant and auto.

4. Anything else that you might think would be appreciated.

A frazzled father thanks you.

Last edited by zuppy; 06-14-2013 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: wanted to put title in bold but could not. new to this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2013, 10:38 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,033 times
Well, I think that's great, here's why: the Cartwright school district is located in Maryvale, which is an "Urban Village" within the city of Phoenix. Maryvale is a fairly poor mostly all Hispanic area, it is reputed to be a "high crime" area, and unfortunately that reputation is fairly accurate. Many of the students your daughter will be teaching will be the children of new immigrants into this country; new blood into this fine country searching a better life for their families just like the ancestors of so many Americans with European bloodlines.

However because many of these children have parents struggling just to get by, and parents who are unable to show them the way in this country (due to them being new immigrants), and because they are constantly having to face the hard reality of having to go home to gang controlled neighborhoods with the temptation of easy money and thug-life glamor in their faces all day; contrasted with the daily sight of their immigrant parents slaving away at back-breaking labor day after day just barely making enough to get by... Because of all these reasons, it is wonderful that someone like your daughter is coming to teach these kids. Thy are still young enough that with the right influences and if someone genuinely cares about them and is able to make a connection with them; that may be all it takes to be the difference between them ending up being a productive member of society or another ward of the state.

Sorry to go off on a tangent like that, but I really think it is great what your daughter is doing and I respectfully commend her for that...

Now, to more properly address your question: Maryvale (the Cartwright District) although a high-crime area, is not in my opinion a very dangerous place for people like your daughter. Honestly, she could live right there in that same area and have no issues. The gang issues and crime issues in those areas generally only affect people who involve themselves in that type of activity. (I.e. Members from beefing gangs have members that kill each other all the time; or drug dealers are constantly robbed or killed, etc...). Regular, stand up citizens like you, me and your daughter are not typically included in any of these crimes because we are civilians and do not associate ourselves with people who are involved with that lifestyle. Now - Having said all that, Maryvale, although affordable, is not "trendy", so it's out anyways.

The closest "trendy" areas to Maryvale (in my opinion again), are Uptown/Downtown Phoenix, Downtown Tempe, and "Old Town" Scottsdale. Now both Tempe and Scottsdale are kind of far. You can google map it for yourself and see what you think, but I think that the Downtown/Uptown Phoenix area would be her best bet because it's close, and trendy, and she could probably find an apartment within her price range. The area I'm talking about specifically would be along Central Avenue from Camelback to Jefferson.

If she doesn't mind the commute to Tempe, that's even trendier. Good luck feel free to post any other questions you may have.

Oh yeah, your other questions area easy ones: The best place to buy a car is on craigslist or any dealer, the best way to get insurance is to call around and just take the best rate offered.

EDIT: The other "nice" areas close to Maryvale are: North Glendale, Goodyear, North Phoenix, maybe Peoria, parts of Avondale...And I know that somebody is going to mention those places, but IMO those places do not qualify as "trendy".

Old 06-15-2013, 12:03 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
The above response is pretty spot on. Cartwright School District is in Maryvale(West Phoenix). I actually attended headstart (just headstart) in that district back in 95 at Glen L. Downs School on 47th Ave&Osborn. I don't remember much at all about the school but the Cartwright School District does have more economically disadvantaged students who desperately need good teachers. Yes the demographic is predominately Hispanic and a lot of English Language Learners (ELL) but they're good kids.

I personally wouldn't live in the heart of Maryvale. I would either live in Glendale, Avondale, or Central Phoenix and just take surface streets to work. Not sure what her definition of "trendy" is but most of everything around here is suburban and not trendy. Downtown could possibly work but then she'll be pushing her $800 budget. Old Town Scottsdale and Tempe might appeal to her as trendy but the commute is a wee bit far.

Can't really suggest a vehicle since I don't know her taste but make sure you have good tires and consistently check the tire pressure. Blowouts are common here (excessive heat). Make sure she gets AAA roadside assistance it's dirt cheap and good to have. Check Craigslist and just google dealerships in the Phoenix area and check out their inventories. As for car repair I recommend Jose's Auto Repair. It's actually in Maryvale on 33rd Ave&Indian School. It ain't the swankiest shop but he's been working on my families cars for years and I can't say I dissatisfied.

As far as insurance companies go just make sure it's a well known reputable company. Don't be going to Freeway and Oasis car insurance. I have Geico insurance and they're the best rate I got as a 21 year old male and they have complimentary roadside assistance. A couple of my friends use them too as well as State Farm.

Anything else you want to know or concerned about please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck to your daughter!

Old 06-15-2013, 12:18 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Does your daughter know you wrote that letter? When I was 24 I would have been really angry if my father butted into my business that much!

Old 06-15-2013, 01:00 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,978,984 times
Also if your daughter needs a church home or just some where to worship please feel free to direct her to First Pentecostal Church of Phoenix, AZ where our motto is "Love Never Fails". May God greatly bless you and your daughter and I wish her a safe move.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:08 AM

4 posts, read 4,147 times
Thank you for your responses to date. Yes she knows I wrote this, when she accepted the job placement I offered her my help in relocating and she accepted. She has and will read all the responses, we will formulate a plan together based on your comments and other resources.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:03 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
Oh yeah, your other questions area easy ones: The best place to buy a car is on craigslist or any dealer, the best way to get insurance is to call around and just take the best rate offered.
Agree that CL is the best alternative to buy a car IF SHE HAS HELP. And can get the car inspected by a mechanic before the purchase. Otherwise, go to a car dealership and bargain hard.

She might also consider the idea of leasing a car for 3 years. I did this when I was single, and it worked well as I always had a newer, maintenance free vehicle and since it was leased, the payment was cheap. Yes, I always had a payment every month, but the benefits as a young single woman in a new area far outweighed that burden. Just be sure to not go over the mileage allowed under the lease. IMHO. (PS - we are retired now and needed a second vehicle for light use. We leased a 2013 Hyundai Sonata right now for about $200/mo with nothing down.)

The best way to get car insurance is to research the companies and pick the three best in your area. Then get quotes and go with the best rate. Some sites to help you figure out who to get quotes from:

Auto Insurance Companies With The Most-Satisfied Customers - Forbes (note that USAA would have been at the top of the list but was left off the list because it is available to military and family of military only. IF that applies to your daughter, definitely call them for a quote.)

Best Car Insurance Companies - 2013 | Insure.com

Note: An trial attorney friend of mine just explained to me about 3rd party claims and the importance of selecting an insurance company that handles them well. For that reason, he excludes State Farm and Allstate from his list of companies.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:31 PM

5 posts, read 4,865 times
I used to work in a charter school in the Maryvale area and interned in the Cartwright District during my ungrad years. The kids really are great, but there will be very little parental involvement as well as little to no funds from the district. I would personally look for a place to live in the Arrowhead area which is off of the 101 and Bell Rd. It will be about a 20-30 minute drive depending on the school she is at and where she actually lives. She could also have the option to take the freeway to work or just the back roads. The Arrowhead area has a mall, lots of restaurants and shops, and a decent nightlife for the west valley.

Btw, I am only a few years older than your daughter. I wish her the best of luck!

Old 06-15-2013, 10:33 PM

5 posts, read 4,865 times
Also, the Westgate area at Glendale and the 101 is not a bad area at all. My brother and sister-in-law actually lived in very nice apartments in that location. They just built the new Tanger Outlets where she could spend her weekends

Old 06-16-2013, 08:33 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amw478 View Post
Also, the Westgate area at Glendale and the 101 is not a bad area at all. My brother and sister-in-law actually lived in very nice apartments in that location. They just built the new Tanger Outlets where she could spend her weekends
There's nothing hip nor trendy about that area though. I don't think that's the best idea. I would recommend an apartment in Uptown for her if she's looking for a safe, urban environment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area